fuel problem

Started by phat rat, September 21, 2007, 09:33:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phat rat

I've got an 86 Ford F150 w/5.0 in it. Was running ok then Tues. I shut it off came in the house for lunch and when I went back out it wouldn't start. It'll run spraying carb cleaner into it but otherwise not. I can't find a blown fuse but did find some fusible links. A couple of them the wires didn't look the greatest so I cut them out and ran straight wire. For those who say I shouldn't have jepordized the safety this truck is used strictly on our property only never on the road. I see under the hood a decal that says it has a safety fuel pump shutoff. Does anyone know where it is on this truck? This thing has twin tanks and 3 fuel pumps one of which costs $100 so I don't want to just start changing things. I only paid $500 for the whole dzzzrn truck to begin with.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

wayne petty

there is a secret way to get a fuel injected car or truck started...

BANG like he$$ on the bottom of the fuel tank while someone else is cranking the motor... How it works is..  the fuel pumps are brush type motors. the fuel system on most FI cars and trucks recirculates constantly.

The regulator bypasses excess pressure and that flows back to the tank. all this happenns through two filters... one a sock type on the bottom of the pump and the other inline up under the car or inside the frame rail on trucks...

when the filter starts tio clog it restricts the flow. this causes the pump to work harder and draw more amps to pump.. this causes the brushes to wear faster.and wears out the commutator.

banging on the bottom of the tank causes the brushes to touch the commutator and the pump starts... this can only happen while someone is cranking the engine... once the engine stops cranking the ecm turns off the relay... 2 second delay...

there is a test point for power on the eec connector under the hood but i always forget which way to test it... you can blow things up if you test it wrong...

i have a copy of the wiring diagram

Fat Cat

In my experience I have found them in 2 places on other ford truck models. Either on the passenger side behind the kick panel or just above the carpet on the right side below the heater box against the firewall.

phat rat

Wayne as I said it'll run with carb cleaner sprayed in it. It's not a spark issue I'd already checked that before I tried the carb cleaner.

phat rat

Quote from: "Fat Cat"In my experience I have found them in 2 places on other ford truck models. Either on the passenger side behind the kick panel or just above the carpet on the right side below the heater box against the firewall.

Thanks Frank. It's to late to get into it tonight but I'll look in those places tomorrow.

Mikej

I had the same thing happen on my 2004 Ranger. The reset was below the glove box. I went to the local mechanic and he looked it up on the internet for me. Heck of a deal.

phat rat

Thanks Frank it was under the heater just above the tranny hump. Reset it and the truck started right up. So thanks again.

kb426

Ever wonder what the point of hiding them so well is?
TEAM SMART

phat rat

Quote from: "kb426"Ever wonder what the point of hiding them so well is?

Yes . I think they do it because they can. Also what's the percentage of people who fix their own car anymore?