Early style tilt column ?

Started by unklian, September 19, 2007, 02:11:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unklian

Has anyone heard of or seen an early looking steering column,with tilt ?

Might be made by Tri Y,or Try Y,or similar.

Thanks.

Ian

Charlie Chops 1940

Haven't heard of the name. The earliest tilt I think I ever used was early 60's GM which didn't have ignition switch/column lock etc. so the mast was relatively small and the tilt portion was also smaller. Probably a little hard to find now.

Some of the guys were recenly talking about the need, what with big bellies and all.

Charlie

quote="unklian"]Has anyone heard of or seen an early looking steering column,with tilt ?

Might be made by Tri Y,or Try Y,or similar.

Thanks.

Ian[/quote]
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

EMSjunkie

"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

unklian

Someone on the HAMB knew what I was talking about.

http://www.tri-cengineering.com/Parts_by_Tri-CEngineering.htm

Has anyone used one of these ?

Charlie Chops 1940

Not exactly brimming over the pot with info on their website, are they they? Also a bit over the top on price.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

unklian

That's basically what I thought. :roll:
Must be a new marketing strategy. :wink:

Friend of mine saw that column at the big 75th bash at Ford,or something.
Asked what it was,who made it,etc.A few weeks later,he had forgotten the name,and couldn't find any info.

enjenjo

I built my own tilt, using a GM shaft. It came out looking like a 55 Ford column, but with tilt.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GPster

I have built them before using Ford Parts.They seem to be fairly easy to find because people are breaking the shifter on them. The ones I have built were for cars with floor shifters. When you eliminate the shifter part you'll find that you can un-fasten the mechanism from the column by un-screwing some allen screw that hold fasteners that pull the column against the tilt head. I have used the top of the ford coulmn and fastened it to what ever I want to use for the column. I've used sections of exhaust pipe or you can get fancy and use the column that's in the car by using exhaust pipe reducers for the size needed. When you take the tilt off the Ford column you'll see that it wouldn't be hard to duplicate the locator holes for the column fasteners in the end of any correct size exhaust tubing. Now you'll have to come up with some kind of cover to cover the fasteners and make a transition from the O.D. of the column to the O.D. of the tilt head. The tilt head on Fords is a larger O.D. than GMs so on one of these conversions I happened on the column cover from an old International Scout. The O.D. was correct and I cleaned up the casted-in bosses on the inside of the piece with a lathe. Now realizing that Scouts are getting hard to find in the junkyard I'm using another common part for the latest. Between old Ford transmissions and the closed driveshaft there is a half domed piece that has a flange around the outer edge with six bolt holes in it. The O.D. of that dome seems to be the right size (3 1/2"). I cut the flange off the dome and welded a piece of driveshaft tubing in it's place. The longer the driveshaft piece the deeper the dome will be and you can figure out how to fasten this dome to your column/exhaust pipe to finish the bottom of the tilt. Now for the steering wheel end. If you use an after-market adapter for the Ford that the tilt mechanism came out of you can use an after market wheel. These ideas should give you a start at something. GPster