George and Benny, thanks for the Mesquite!

Started by Cword, August 27, 2007, 02:26:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cword

I'm sitting here having lunch.  

Leftover prime rib that my brother, Rob, cooked up for a family dinner last night.

He slow cooked it on the Barbeque with some of the mesquite you gave him at Sumners

it's sooo goood!

Thanks guys
--

river1

man that is makin me hungry just reading that.(insert drooling smiley here)

we need a drooling smiley for cases like this.

hey mike, i purchased some of rob's wobbie spice, now i need some recipes to go with it. see if you can get rob to post some for me and the others that bought or will be buying some of his spice. (another drooling smiley goes here)

thanks jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Sean

Quote from: "Cword"I'm sitting here having lunch.  

Leftover prime rib that my brother, Rob, cooked up for a family dinner last night.

He slow cooked it on the Barbeque with some of the mesquite you gave him at Sumners

it's sooo goood!

Thanks guys

I like Mesquite too, but just out of curiousity does Hickory grow in Canada? A little Hickory bark thrown on a fire does wonderful things to beef...

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "Sean"
Quote from: "Cword"I'm sitting here having lunch.  

it's sooo goood!

Thanks guys

I like Mesquite too, but just out of curiousity does Hickory grow in Canada? A little Hickory bark thrown on a fire does wonderful things to beef...

Ya can't hardly beat Hickory smoked beef. Mesquite runs a close second :!:  

if you was to put a Hickory smoked rib on top of yer head........yer tongue would beat yer brains out just tryin' to get to it :shock:  :D  :D

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

Sean

Quote from: "EMSjunkie"

if you was to put a Hickory smoked rib on top of yer head........yer tongue would beat yer brains out just tryin' to get to it :shock:  :D  :D

Vance

Brisket... Packed with brown sugar, salt, and spices for a couple days, then hickory smoked for about 12 hours and sliced thin.

Hooley

Mike, If you want Hickory, my part of Okla is full of it[Hickory]. Any part of the tree will make the flavor. I could send you some.

Hooley
"Just Glade To Be Here"

Sean

Quote from: "Hooley"Any part of the tree will make the flavor. I could send you some.

Hooley

Depends on how strong you want it. Hickory "wood" gives a milder flavor, and is a safer bet for people that don't like a strong smoke flavor. Bark is stronger and has a slightly different taste to it, but its easy to over-do it.

Once you slice a brisket thin, the surface area containing the smoke flavor is greatly reduced. I like a strong smoke flavor on my brisket, so I use bark.

I have ruined some meat using bark though, so if you try it, use it sparingly. I smoked some pork chops yesterday using bark. A strip about two inches wide and a foot long, broken into smaller pieces, was enough to thoroughly flavor them.

purplepickup

You're quite welcome Mike.  I've got to thank Benny too.  His brother uses Mesquite for woodworking projects.  It's real dense and has a lot of character.  I was real happy that he was nice enough to bring some of his scraps.  It's a real treat for us northerners.  

I use a lot of hickory and apple but I like the flavor Mesquite adds to beef especially.  I'll bet that prime rib was fantastic.
George

Cword

Jim
I'll ask Rob to sign in here, but I can't guarantee he will.  
We use his spice on darn near everything we grill.  mostly we rub down the meat before hitting the grill. Susan also adds it to soups,  chowders, and chili's.

Hooley, that hickory offer is something I can't refuse.  Having tried this mesquite for the first time, and with the other comments in this thread I think trying Hickory is a must.  Does it improve with a year of aging in Sumners parking lot though?  

George, yep the prime rib was fantastic, as are my lunches this week. (It was a big one and I'll be eating some very fine sandwiches for a couple days.

We had one more culinary treat at Sum's. That was his Belgian mustard.  Susan's cousins from Belgium were visiting here when we got home. Rob regularly send them spice, so we handed off a copy of the mustard label we got from Sum to them and have arranged a spice for mustard exchange.

mike
--

river1

river1

Quote from: "Cword"
We use his spice on darn near everything we grill.  mostly we rub down the meat before hitting the grill. Susan also adds it to soups,  chowders, and chili's.

that will actually work for me i just didn't know how he used as a prep. i actually like rubbing my meat :?  :wink:

Quote from: "Cword"We had one more culinary treat at Sum's. That was his Belgian mustard.  Susan's cousins from Belgium were visiting here when we got home. Rob regularly send them spice, so we handed off a copy of the mustard label we got from Sum to them and have arranged a spice for mustard exchange.

mike

i thought i took a picture of that mustard just so i could look for a source myself. what is the name of that luscious stuff.

later jim

oldbobsign

Think you guys should take this to the Powder Room. :lol:

Seriously, though, it's almost lunch time here and having sampled Rob's fare on more than one occasion a couple of weeks ago I can only say I agree with Jim, we need a drooling smiley (although I have grave reservations of turning Jim loose with that particular graphic). :shock:

river1

Quote from: "oldbobsign"we need a drooling smiley (although I have grave reservations of turning Jim loose with that particular graphic). :shock:

who me????

1FATGMC

Jim and Rob (via Mike) the mustard you ordered has arrived.  It is in Colo. now and should be at my place soon.

Mike I need an address to send you a box with the mustard for Rob and some newspapers.  The article about the race car appeared in the newspaper  here last week and you guys were included in the story.  I got a few copies for you, rob and your mom and dad.

Also I discovered a small cache of money that looked like it had recently been converted from Canadian currency to US currency.  Hooley said some of your crew might have had something to do with forgetting you had placed it in one of my tool boxes.  Any truth to that???  It was not necessary, but thanks to whoever who was involved.  I'll keep a closer eye on you guys next time  :wink: .

c ya,

Sum

Cword

Thanks Sum,
I've pm'd you the address.

Currency conversion tracking?  I've never experienced that.  There are conspirators in every crew though, and you host the best.

Mike
--