You gotta love it when...

Started by DRD57, May 15, 2004, 09:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DRD57

...someone actually delivers what they say ahead of schedule. I picked up the repop roller today, 25 days from when I ordered it.

av8

Quote from: "DRD57"...someone actually delivers what they say ahead of schedule. I picked up the repop roller today, 25 days from when I ordered it.

Please tell me that this isn't the street-rod chassis you're going to perch your lovely old Deuce roadster tin on. Please say it isn't so!

river1

Quote from: "av8"
Quote from: "DRD57"...someone actually delivers what they say ahead of schedule. I picked up the repop roller today, 25 days from when I ordered it.

Please tell me that this isn't the street-rod chassis you're going to perch your lovely old Deuce roadster tin on. Please say it isn't so!

yes i believe that is his plan :shock:

you can read more of his plan here http://www.roddingroundtable.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=613

later jim[/url]
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Dave

I would have expected a better picture like one with the motor and body installed geeze whats the hold up?????????????
Dave

DRD57

It is so, temporarily anyway. The old tin will ride on this chassis while I take my time getting the original chassis built the way I want it for the long haul.

av8

Quote from: "DRD57"

It is so, temporarily anyway. The old tin will ride on this chassis while I take my time getting the original chassis built the way I want it for the long haul.

That's good news indeed! Now get to work! :)

DRD57

Quote from: "N8DC"

I would have expected a better picture like one with the motor and body installed geeze whats the hold up?????????????
Dave

The chassis needs a little paint. Give me a couple days and it'll have the motor in it.

Dave

Quote from: "DRD57"
Quote from: "N8DC"

Dave

The chassis needs a little paint. Give me a couple days and it'll have the motor in it.

Tell ya what ill give ya till the end of the week..
Dave

GPster

It must not have come from Boyd Coddington's shop. The one they were working on the other night wouldn't fit their chassis jig. They had to cut half of the floor out of the body and install the front brakes 6 differant ways because they had no instructions. The easiest way to fill the spaces of time between commercials was to go Kart racing and to watch one of their customers loose in the first round. Boyd and the powers that be (ex-wife with pocket book) must have had a disagreement. GPster

DRD57

Quote from: "GPster"It must not have come from Boyd Coddington's shop. The one they were working on the other night wouldn't fit their chassis jig. They had to cut half of the floor out of the body and install the front brakes 6 differant ways because they had no instructions. The easiest way to fill the spaces of time between commercials was to go Kart racing and to watch one of their customers loose in the first round. Boyd and the powers that be (ex-wife with pocket book) must have had a disagreement. GPster

They must be making a heap of money with that TV show because they sure aren't winning any new customers with the lack of competance that they've exhibited on the few episodes that I've seen.

C9

"The front brake deal is a good example of the street rod industry at work, NO instructions , photos , nothing"

True in a lot of cases, but in others there are well written instructions.

I was kinda wondering about the brake deal.
I know, it's always easier when you're not the guy doing it and just watching, but how difficult would it have been to lay the stuff out on a bench and try a few things.
And maybe even try stuff out on the component it fits to.

I do the latter with what I call 'assembly bolt & nuts'.
I don't care to use the nylocks or chrome plated bolts until the final assembly.
Regular bolts and nuts allow hand assembly which is a lot quicker than cranking up on a nylock setup several times.

I'm guessing that the brake drum extravaganza was scripted by TV.
The older guy involved strikes me as a smart and experienced guy and he probably had to bite his tongue for TV and the ratings.

If SoCal wants to send me a set of the brake drum thingy's, I'll assemble em, take pics, write clear and concise instructions and send the whole schmear back.

There's a - at the least - silver plated offer for em.... :lol:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Far as Don's roadster goes - gonna have a top?
With all the driving you do in the coupe and assuming you do the same in the roadster you're gonna need one.

For those all-important times - rolling into the show topless etc. - you could build a thin-wall tubing frame that supports a stock style top.
The home-built frame can be constructed to fold up sideways so it would fit in the trunk.
The top remaining installed and folding down works, but it's surprising how much 'up-in-the-air' a regular folded top is.

If you go the folding top home-built frame route, note the overhang on the sides that keeps the straight down rain - as well as the blowing slightly sideways rain - out of the interior when parked.
Not to mention mo-bettah shade with the overhang.

And . . . thinking people want to know . . . gonna keep the coupe?
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

DRD57

The chassis was built by Classic Street Rod Mfg. (I think it's a lame name and I told them they should change it) in Ontario, CA.

It's owned and operated by a couple of hard working young men (Osmin & Hugo are brothers) who used to work for TCI. One day they decided it would be better to work for themselves than someone else and they set up their own shop.  

I took notice of them hawking their wares at most of the SoCal swap meets. Good workmanship, fair prices, their work ethic and integrity will go a long way toward their long term success.

I've got the original top bows which have been chopped and the mail slot window which were on the car in its past life. If I want to run a top, which is highly unlikely, I'll use them.  If the weather is so crappy that I don't want to be in it, I'll just drive the coupe instead. That's the beauty of having a coupe AND a roadster.

I doubt I'll ever sell either one of them but I'm sure the coupe is going to get kinda lonely in the shop once I'm out pounding the pavement in the roadster.

Gilles

Good luck on your new project Don. I agree with you that it wasn't possible to own a real 32 Ford roadster and let it in the garage's corner collecting the dust from the Cadillac block-sanding.

But you are in a situation I personally hate : have two project at the same time. It will make some stress if (generally the case) it takes more time than planned first.

:D Gilles :D

Dolly

Great to see you still have too much spare time.   :lol:
Dolly

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

C9

"That's the beauty of having a coupe AND a roadster."

Right up until you get 50-100 miles out of town in the roadster and the skies open up.... :lol:
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.