Bondo comparison

Started by kb426, August 23, 2007, 07:32:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

Does anybody have any exp. in using USC's All Metal versus Evercoat's Metal to Metal?
TEAM SMART

MrMopar64

I've used All Metal for years with no problems.... But never have used the other brand..... so I guess that don't help much  :lol:

MM64  8)
www.rgkustoms.com
www.rg-kustoms.com
Racing.... Because Baseball, Football, & Basketball
Only Require One Ball..... Gotta Race
  :lol:

wayne petty

the cadillac restoration shop i used to work in only used usc all metal.  but that was the bosses orders. they only did 1950 to 1962 cads. some with 12 foot long quarter panels.

has anybody tryed this? dynatron/bondo #660 i glue everything with it.   i even reinforce motormounts  that are oe with holes in them.   like the 3.0 taurus tranny mount. and all honda mounts on hot hondas.

1FATGMC

I'm not sure what you want to use it for, but if I have to put bondo on anyplace that was welded and could have pin holes for moisture to come thru from the back I use Evercoat's "Everglass" for a waterproof barrier under the bondo,

Sum

kb426

The back of the 32 has rust pits that the media blasting didn't clean out. There's a guy who lives 30 miles from me that is really good at restoration work. He's the one that told me to use All Metal but no one close sells it. They do have the Evercoat that has the same description. My exp. has been that not all products are equal. Before I tried the Evercoat I wanted to know if it had a history of problems or good results.
Here's a link
http://www.evercoat.com/productDetail.aspx?pID=37
TEAM SMART

RottenRodney

"All Metal" -- now there's a name I haven't heard in a while or two.  I don't know what possessed me to do so, but I can recall tryin' some on a Fordson tractor gas-tank I narrowed for a T-Speedster back in the early-ninties.  Sorry, I won't have any answers; only the following question: How the heck can a two-part catalyzed body-filler be "All Metal?"  Come on now...  Don't we have some chemists or perhaps a metalurgist here on the Roundtable?  I'd really like to know.  

If you're desirous of a quality polyester filler; it's Rage -- period.  Sure, a gallon of Rage could cost close to what a case of Brand X could cost, but you'll save big on abrasives, it's way more pleasant to work with and as long as you do your part right, it'll last.  

Granted this is opinonated as it gets, but I have slung some mud in my daze and in fact; I've been a test-pilot for USC, but I won't elaborate on that unless by popular demand.  

Let's dig this hole deeper: Can anyone give me a name of ONE professional panel-pounder who actually uses that "All Metal" stuff for any reason other than perhaps pullin' some wool over a customer's eyes?  It really doesn't resemble metal once it's been sanded.  Why is it good?  If there's any real reason for using that type of product; please teach me something.

Humm -- it comes canned, with a tube of hardner, but it's "All Metal."  Ptttthhht!  

RR

Crosley.In.AZ

any body use lead any more??

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

donsrods

A buddy who owns a body shop just put me on to USC basecoat/clearcoat filler.  Gold in color, goes on like butter, and sands out very smoothly and easily.

Don

Scrap Fe

Quote from: "Crosley"any body use lead any more??

I still use lead.  I guess that shows how old I am.

tomslik

8)

just in my paint....
let it dry, eat the chips...mmmmm., tasty!
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "tomslik"

8)

just in my paint....
let it dry, eat the chips...mmmmm., tasty!

That explains everything. :lol:  :lol:

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

enjenjo

Back years ago, I was a lab  tech in a chemical factory. We made polyester resin that was used to make plastic fillers. After setting the resin itself is waterproof. But the filler material can draw moisure if it is exposed.

Of the several filler materials used, the cheapest is actually refined clay. By the nature of the clay, it will wick moisture through the hollow crystals that compose it.

Glass fibers are also used as a filler material, usuall mixed with one of the other filler materials, but is ver difficult to finish without an overcoat of an easier to sand material.

Next up is a high density plastic powder that is more waterproof than clay, but also weighs enough to make a noticeable difference in weight.

The lightweight fillers use microspheres of plastic with the advantages of being waterproof. and much lighter.

Now the all metal. For the most part, all metal body fillers use aluminum powder. It's water proof, but much more brittle that the other types of filler. It's also the most expensive to make.

I also worked in a plant that made body fillers, and packaged  them for most of the brands on the market. Outside of minor changes in formulas, they were all made of the same materials. This is oversimplified, but fairly accurate. There is a lot more to fillers than meets the eye.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

years ago when I did more body work seems like a produce called RAGE was liked well. I think it is still around

I used a bondo called AZ Gold once. I was told it was good stuff.  It cracked out / shrunk up more and more.  I talked to the supplier about the stuff and then I am told : " oh that stuff is S***" ........  LOL
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

unklian

Is there still a filler called White Lightening ?

Husker

I have tried a bunch of them but keepo finding myself back staring at a can of Rage.  Good stuff that I have never had an issue with.

Question, why would I want to use a metal filler instead of my dependable Rage?