Bondo comparison

Started by kb426, August 23, 2007, 07:32:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2rods

Like Enjenjo said the all metal is brittle. It also is not very flexible which can be important depending where it is. No one I know uses it anymore for that reason.

unklian

All Metal,and Lab Metal,are supposed to be able to
handle more heat so they can be used under Powder Coating.

Husker

kroozn

Quote from: "RottenRodney""

If you're desirous of a quality polyester filler; it's Rage -- period.  Sure, a gallon of Rage could cost close to what a case of Brand X could cost, but you'll save big on abrasives, it's way more pleasant to work with and as long as you do your part right, it'll last.  

Granted this is opinonated as it gets, but I have slung some mud in my daze and in fact; I've been a test-pilot for USC, but I won't elaborate on that unless by popular demand.  

Let's dig this hole deeper: Can anyone give me a name of ONE professional panel-pounder who actually uses that "All Metal" stuff for any reason other than perhaps pullin' some wool over a customer's eyes?  It really doesn't resemble metal once it's been sanded.  Why is it good?  If there's any real reason for using that type of product; please teach me something.

Humm -- it comes canned, with a tube of hardner, but it's "All Metal."  Ptttthhht!  

RR

I have to agree with RR.

Rage is the best I have used.
Rage Gold is great, but I switched to Rage Extreme some years ago. Yeah, it is pricy stuff. Rage Extreme sand easy, seldom pinholes, wears out less sandpaper and I have never had a shrinking problem with Rage.

Some time ago I used All Metal to fine tune the gaps on a twisted up Cobra body. All metal is a lot harder to sand than body filler so it was a lot more work. Probably the only gain was it looked better in photos and if it ever got chipped it would look like aluminum instead of filler.

I still do a little lead work once in a while.
Carl

Husker

Rage Extreme rocks, I use less glazing putty since I switched over. And I ave never had an issue with any of the Rage versions shrinking or cracking. I have sold several vehicles to friends and family with never a complaint.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "kroozn"

I have to agree with RR.

Rage is the best I have used.
Rage Gold is great, but I switched to Rage Extreme some years ago. Yeah, it is pricy stuff. Rage Extreme sand easy, seldom pinholes, wears out less sandpaper and I have never had a shrinking problem with Rage.

Some time ago I used All Metal to fine tune the gaps on a twisted up Cobra body. All metal is a lot harder to sand than body filler so it was a lot more work. Probably the only gain was it looked better in photos and if it ever got chipped it would look like aluminum instead of filler.

I still do a little lead work once in a while.
Carl

Only a little lead work ?

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

kb426

The rest of the story: the back of the cab is covered in rust pits that didn't clean up with media blasting. I was told to use All Metal because it's moisture resistant. The local shops only sell Evercoat. I ordered a fresh can. Turned out to be not fresh. 2 cans later, I gave up on that plan. I used Metal Prep and washed the cab big time. Then I used etching primer and then coated it with epoxy. I'm using Rage to fill the pits. I don't expect this to last forever but I do expect it to make a few years. I am not a lucky person but I think this will last long enough for me to know if I'm in love with the pickup or ready to put a different body on the chassis.
TEAM SMART