Home-made work stands

Started by 48builder, August 22, 2007, 09:30:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

48builder

I want to make some folding work stands out of electrical conduit. I saw an article years ago showing how. All you do is bend some conduit into a couple "U" shapes, then hook them together so they fold up, using a chain between them to keep from opening too far. Water pipe insulation goes over the top to provide a cushion.

I was talking to a friend tonight, and he has some 1" conduit I can have. Not sure how I'll bend that. I was planning on buying some 3/4", but free is better, and sturdier. I was thinking maybe the $50 bender setup at Harbor Freight would bend it? I see that it comes with 1" dies.

Has anybody ever made anything like this, and can provide some tips or ideas?

Walt
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

34ford

Walt,

You can use a electricans conduit bender to make the bends. I made a set and borrowed a bender from my electrian friend. You can buy the benders at Home Depot, Menards, and even Harbor Freight. Just bend both of them the same and they offset inside of each other. I used 3/4" for mine and they are really sturdy. Harbor has a 3/4" one don't know about finding a 1"  one.

bob

unklian

Home Depot up here rents tools.

crdnblu

Quote from: "tom36"Have you seen these?  
Tom...

Good suggestion!  A friend has a couple & swears by them.  It's hard to build anything for less than $20 these days......

MrMopar64

The $50 bender at HF is for heavy wall pipe/tubing it will kink conduit unless you fill it with sand  :wink:

Got one
MM64  8)
www.rgkustoms.com
www.rg-kustoms.com
Racing.... Because Baseball, Football, & Basketball
Only Require One Ball..... Gotta Race
  :lol:

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "crdnblu"
Quote from: "tom36"Have you seen these?  
Tom...

Good suggestion!  A friend has a couple & swears by them.  It's hard to build anything for less than $20 these days......

I agree.
we have a HF outlet store here, may hafta go shopping :D

I can always use an extra stand or two.

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

48builder

Quote from: "tom36"Have you seen these?   http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do?keyword=portable+work+stand&Submit=Go

Tom...

Hey, thanks! I will check them out. Good price.

Walt
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

48builder

Quote from: "34ford"Walt,

You can use a electricans conduit bender to make the bends.

I just called my local HF and they don't carry the stand in the link below. My local Home Depot does not rent conduit benders either. I'll look some more for a bender from some friends, but I may just order a couple of the HF stands. I can get a 3/4" bender, but by the time I buy the conduit and all the other parts I am not far away from the HF price and I don't have to do any of the work.  :D
'39 Chevy driver

Ed ke6bnl

they are on ebay all the time
1948 F3, parts
1950 F1 SteetRod,
1949 F1 V8 flathead stocker
1948 F6 V8 SBC,
1953 Chevy 3100 AD pu future project& 85 s10 longbed for chassis
1972 Chopped El Camino daily driver
1968 Mustang Coupe
1998.5 Dodge 4x4 cummins 4door, 35"bfg,

48builder

Quote from: "tom36"Have you seen these?   http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do?keyword=portable+work+stand&Submit=Go

Tom...

I got my 3 stands, and they are fantastic! I could not have made a stand like this for $20. Thanks for the tip. It is a real pleasure to work on my doors with them on these stands rather than on the floor. Much easier on the back.  :wink:
'39 Chevy driver