Small OD T-400 Yoke Q.

Started by C9, May 14, 2004, 11:08:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

C9

Goin a little crazy trying to find the right driveshaft yoke for my short tailshaft Buick T-400 and already made up driveshaft that goes into the 31 roadster.

Seems like the great majority of T-400 yokes are for the long tailshaft models and even the other than Buick short tailshaft T-400's take the larger OD yoke.
Said yoke measuring approx. 1 7/8"

The Buicks measure 1 11/16" OD approx and I'm guessing the spline count is the same at 32 splines for both models.

Does anyone have or know where I could get a small OD yoke?

I can trade a good condition 1 7/8" yoke plus some extra or buy it outright.  This yoke slides right into a long tailshaft Olds T-400 I have.

(I did run all over town, trying all the decent parts houses as well as several places that do driveshafts.  Only place I found one was at the Buick dealers, but at $122. per copy that was a bit much considering the parts houses sell them for about $60. per.)

Along with all this, does anyone know if Spicer u-joint # converts to NAPA #372?
This is supposed be the crossover joint for the Buick T-400 yoke to a Ford driveshaft, but it doesn't look like it.
The small OD caps are not long enough to span the Ford driveshaft and the big OD caps are too big for the large OD T-400 yoke I have on hand.

I guess I should wait a while before I go crazy.
If I can find a yoke for halfway reasonable $$, taking the driveshaft and yoke to the parts house is probably the way to do it, but the driveshaft on the 32 - which this shaft was originally on fwiw - was easy.
I bought the stock Ford U-joint for the back and the crossover U-joint for the front and it fell together.
Same deal when I pulled this shaft - cuz it was an inch too short for the new carrier I put in the 32 - and had the speed shop make a new one, they ordered up the stock rear joint and the crossover and that one fell together too.

Maybe I'm just spoiled.... :?
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

enjenjo

Check and see if a 350 turbo yoke fits. I have run into a few 400's set up like that. Mostly Pontiac.

Give me the cup diameter, and the meaurement accros the cups on the yoke, and I can give you a number for the joint. 372 is the correct joint most of the time.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

C9

Quote from: "Crosley"C9,

you are looking for the odd ball yoke I beleive.  there are 3 different size OEM  yokes for the T-400.  Many configurations of the large yoke.

The large one most folks know and the T-350 sized yoke enjenjo speaks of.  The T-350 size yoke was actually a T-375 tranny. T-400 with a T-350 sized out put shaft.

then the odd sized yoke  was used on Buicks and Pontiacs as I recall.

You can change to the large diameter yoke with a change of the tail housing on the t-400.  Short or long output shaft with the large spline count ( not T-350 size).  A tail housing is eay to find.  I have them here too.   it would only cost the 'ride' to you if needed

We get some t-400 cores in with the tail housings for the medium sized yoke.  We toss the housings into the scrap pile

I think I'm reading this right - changing only the tail housing would do the trick?
And allow the use of the large diameter (1 7/8") T-400 yoke?
As well as having the trans mount in the same place?

If so, that would be great cuz I have a brand new yoke and a good used one.
Both of them 1 7/8" yokes.

If so, how's chances of getting two tail housings?
C9

C9

Quote from: "enjenjo"Check and see if a 350 turbo yoke fits. I have run into a few 400's set up like that. Mostly Pontiac.

Give me the cup diameter, and the meaurement accros the cups on the yoke, and I can give you a number for the joint. 372 is the correct joint most of the time.

Thanks Enjenjo, I'll try to get it measured tomorrow afternoon.
C9

C9

======== yes , remove and replace tail housing is it.

See photo , all large bore, short  tail housings.  Look correct?[/quote]

Looks right to me.
Even if the motor mounts were off a touch that would be easily rectified by making a new center mount.
Far as I can see, it would be a straight bolt-in.

Here's the best pic I could come up with.
(Had to stick the camera under the car while kneeling in a confined space and shoot in the blind.)
C9