Packard Thunderbolt Straight 8

Started by Kobies Kool 40, August 02, 2007, 10:37:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kobies Kool 40

Hello all,

Today I discovered an old Packard Clipper sitting on the shoreline of a local lake.  What I would like opinions from you guys on is the Thunderbolt straight 8 that's in this thing.  It would not be easy to get to at all, so I'm wondering if it's worth the effort?  I'm assuming it's stuck, but is it worth anything?

BTW, from the research I've done on the car it appears it's a 1953.  If you want, I could take a walk again tomorrow and get some pics.

Take care, Shawn

river1

yes i'd like to see pics.

BUT before you start removing parts do your due diligence and see if you can find out who owns it, it may only look abandoned.

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Kobies Kool 40

Quote from: "river1"yes i'd like to see pics.

BUT before you start removing parts do your due diligence and see if you can find out who owns it, it may only look abandoned.

later jim

No worries Jim, I know the land owner.  I'll try to get some pics tonight.

GPster

Maybe someone could use the engine to build a Nostolgic Bonneville car. Is there a standard transmission behind it? At one time I seem to remember that Packard transmissions were in the same realm as LaSalles but  because the newer ones reguired after-market shifters they might not have been used much. I thought I'd like to build a "Speedster" along the lines of Ford's "999" with a straight 8 "L" head engine. Probably the needing automatic transmission, power steering and power brakes would kill the simplicity mood so it will be Jeepster rather than Speedster

Inprimer

Quote from: "Kobies Kool 40"Hello all,

Today I discovered an old Packard Clipper sitting on the shoreline of a local lake.  What I would like opinions from you guys on is the Thunderbolt straight 8 that's in this thing.  It would not be easy to get to at all, so I'm wondering if it's worth the effort?  I'm assuming it's stuck, but is it worth anything?

BTW, from the research I've done on the car it appears it's a 1953.  If you want, I could take a walk again tomorrow and get some pics.

Take care, Shawn
take a lok at classiccar.com /forums they seem to have a lot of info on non Ford /gm stuff

Kobies Kool 40

Okay, here are the pictures.  Took a slap across the forehead with a branch and tore my shorts getting these  :oops:  :lol:

junkyardjeff

I hate to bust anyones bubble but the motor has been open to the weather too long to be any good,probably good for a few parts and you wonder what someone was doing with it to be there in the first place.  Jeff