Toys Be Me

Started by Charlie Chops 1940, July 30, 2007, 10:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlie Chops 1940

New swap meet trailer - 7X16 low deck flat roof. Also of sufficient size to haul a compact orange roadster.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Rayvyn

Fine looking Whiskey Ridge Wagon... :D
***SFC-Team Smart***

What can a bird do that a man can\'t?

Whistle through his pecker...

phat rat

Looks good. Now you need to get it ready for Kazoo.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Charlie Chops 1940

You're right Jack. Right after Louisville, two garage doors to install, paint the '40, put in new glass, get Whiskey Ridge running....a long list but doing some of the trailer before K-zoo is right up there. I'd like to at least get the floor covered, some E-track and the storage dividers/tables done by then. I also need to find my load bar brackets in that mess I call a garage.
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

A Hooligan!

slocrow

Not a bad looking rig, for a "geezer poster" child. Happy trails to you, da da, da da, da da.
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

phat rat

Frankie, that's what comes from not hoarding your money :lol:

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: I'd forgotten about using your name and this popped up :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Crosley.In.AZ

kool, I need louvers punched
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Charlie Chops 1940

Quote from: "Crosley"kool, I need louvers punched

Can do, however the press is too tall for this trailer. Planned that way....

I'm gonna cover the walls with painted aluminum....maybe a few rows of louvers around the top foot or so would be cool.

Anyone on here ever equip a trailer with E-track tie-down strips? Any locating tips?

Charlie

A Hooligan!

moparrodder

Charlie, Do ya want them to tie down the roadster?  If so we have a friend that pits next to us at the races that runs a sportmod and he has them sunk in the floor right under the tires and uses a single ratchet strap over the tires  and sinches it down and it don't move a bit.  He has had it that way for more than a couple of years and has had no problem with his and he travels quite a bit.  I don't know just how he mounted them in the floor but I will ask him this comming Saturday night at the races and get back to you.

Bill

Oh by the way, NICE trailer 8)

Rayvyn

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"
Quote from: "Crosley"kool, I need louvers punched

Can do, however the press is too tall for this trailer. Planned that way....

I'm gonna cover the walls with painted aluminum....maybe a few rows of louvers around the top foot or so would be cool.

Anyone on here ever equip a trailer with E-track tie-down strips? Any locating tips?

Charlie

I helped a friend of mine replace the ones in his 27' Pace trailer about a year ago. He hauls a legends car, and sometimes an ARCA car in there from time to time, and his 31 Sedan other times. His tracks are spaced 4' apart center to center, up to the recess for the spare tire. His are recessed into the floor and bolted down through the trailer floor. The ones he had in there were cheap aluminum. He got new steel ones from an outfit that reconditions tractor trailer boxes. They make a hitch ring with an e track attachment on it. He uses 2 in front, 2 in back, with ratchet straps around the axles, and never had a problem.
I guess you could router out a recess for them to fit in, leaving at least 1/2" of wood underneath, and every other hole use a bolt through the floor with wood screws in between. You'll be putting lateral strain on the bolts and screws, not vertical, so they'd be less prone to pull out.
***SFC-Team Smart***

What can a bird do that a man can\'t?

Whistle through his pecker...

enjenjo

If you are planning Erail in the sides I like vertical rather than horizontal. That way you you can set the rails at different heights. They make good bed supports
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Charlie Chops 1940

Bill,

Maybe get a picture or two?

Bryan,

Hadn't considered routing a slot but I guess that would be a good idea to let the floor be level for other cargo. I think the tracks are only 3/8" high. Easier would be to do a 3/8 inch overlayment and the floor wouldn't be weakened any. I read on one seller site that they use 1/4" inch bolts or machine screws through the floor every 12" with fender washers on the down side with nylocks.

Food for thought - thanks guys.

Charlie

A Hooligan!

C9

As per the E-Tracks in the floor:

Generally speaking box trailers have quite a few floor crossmembers.
Make a point to drill for the E-Track right at the crossmember and bolt through that.
Makes for a strong backing.

Nylock nuts are a good idea for retainment, seems like plywood compresses after a while and nuts can vibrate off.

Another way out is to add HD floor rings like the factory installs for tie-downs.

I have a total of 8 in my 20' (inside measurement) box trailer which makes it very flexible.

I also put 1/2" eye bolts in the wheel wells at each end as well as on the floor in several locations close to the side walls where the car doesn't roll and people don't walk.

Along with some lighter duty folding ring tie downs up near the front.

All the tie-downs were a big help when I moved the two roadsters.
Especially so when the shop was moved.

The pic shows the potty room - made points with the girls and it doesn't take much room.
It's also set up to hold tall vertical pieces on the inside wall and still allow use of the potty.
All that was done there was to install some eye straps for bungees and use shock cord to keep lightweight stuff vertical - 4', 6' levels etc.

Shown as well is the 1800# rated pull boat trailer winch on it's 1" x 2" x .120 wall frame.
Works well in dragging the dead runners up and doesn't take long.
Use chocks behind the wheels, move em as you go.

I had a 1600# boat trailer winch on my tandem axle flatbed that had steeper ramps than the box trailer and it had no problems dragging a 50 Plymouth sedan up.

I'm curious as to how much height there is inside the orange trailer?
Mine sticks up in the breeze pretty good, but still, loaded at a 7000# gross my 2002 F-150 SuperCrew with 5.4 liter got 10 mpg crossing the hilly and hot desert in August.
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

Charlie Chops 1940

Jay,

The inside is about 66" high. It's the same as the 6X10 cargo trailer I had.  Although that seems low it never bothered me  when loading and unloading the smaller trailer. This trailer has Dexter torsion axles and radial tires. It's really a bike trailer with some modifications. The deck is 4" closer to the ground and the roof is flat, so basically it's only a couple/three inches taller than the Trailblazer and about 4" per side wider.

Shouldn't be too bad on the road. My first trial will be to the swap meet at Nats North in Kalamazoo in Sepember. I'm setting this up with a Reese load distribution hitch with sway control.  I want to take the track roadster pickup to Bonneville next year and the only way I can do that is in a box. Goes against everything I hold honorable and true, but a bad back has a way of changing ones perspective.

Charlie

A Hooligan!

C9

I hear you on the bad back stuff.
Sweetie can't handle long trips in the 32 anymore.

Your trailer is higher than I thought, I was kinda curious how much of a hassle installling the front tie-downs would be.

You'll be glad you have the sway bar, the big trucks aerodynamic bow wave tends to push you away at first and then try to suck you up against the trailer.

The sway bar pretty much stops that....
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.