Alexander Bros. Grasshopper

Started by kb426, July 24, 2007, 12:40:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toledobill

To my eyes back in the early 1960s, it looked like a candy mix, and DEFINITELY not flake.  It was entered in the Toledo Autorama back in the late 1950s, and I remember one of the other judges (maybe the MOST respected body men in Toledo) coming up to me grinning and bleary-eyed on Sunday morning.  He'd spent all night going over the Grasshopper with a portable spotlight because he knew "there's no such thing as a PERFECT paint job".  But the A brothers looked like they'd pulled it off.  About 4:30 in the morning, armed with his light source, he told me he'd found a small run/puddle on the top of the gas tank, hidden from any public view.
He could then go on to judge it "best paint" without the worry that someone somewhere had achieved the impossible -- the "perfect" paint job.

kb426

TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "jusjunk"

Ive looked at it and honestly I didnt pay much attention.. Ya I know , That didnt help at all did it..
Dave :wink:

dave......stick with what you are good at.

:!:  :idea:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Dave

Quote from: "Crosley"

Ive looked at it and honestly I didnt pay much attention.. Ya I know , That didnt help at all did it..

Tony the reason i didnt pay much attention is although its a very nice truck I really dont care for the color. Something about a truck and green. I dunno but thats the way it is.. Remember I build high end tv feature cars so maybe ill just say hell with everyone elses stuff and go my way if thats what ya mean..
Dave :lol:
ps; I do remember years ago some talk about that truck and i believe its a candy and candy is a * to get right especially in green .(remember the first paint for the coupe) HOK candy green. Didnt work out.

kb426

I haven't painted  any candy since 1976. I'm very aware of what you are saying. For right now, I'm going to shoot some white on it to keep it from rusting and plan on next summer having  a paint project. I need to have this truck together and running before the weather cools down. Time is becoming very important.
TEAM SMART

Rayvyn

I do remember years ago some talk about that truck and i believe its a candy and candy is a * to get right especially in green .(remember the first paint for the coupe) HOK candy green. Didnt work out.

My 37 Plymouth was painted HOK Candy Brandywine, and it went on so smooth and shiny, it looked like warm oil on a P>O>R>N actress. Just got lucky I guess.
***SFC-Team Smart***

What can a bird do that a man can\'t?

Whistle through his pecker...

EMSjunkie

Remember I build high end tv feature cars so maybe ill just say hell with everyone elses stuff and go my way if thats what ya mean..

You and Boyd.........can I get your autograph :lol:

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "EMSjunkie"

Remember I build high end tv feature cars so maybe ill just say hell with everyone elses stuff and go my way if thats what ya mean..

You and Boyd.........can I get your autograph :lol:

Vance

" Dave Cotterpin"....It just doesn't have that "ringgg" to it... :?  :?  :?  Maybe more of a "clink"  :?:  :?:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****