GM alt wires

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, July 23, 2007, 11:56:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

I have this GM  100amp  1 wire alternator  from Summit.

Terminals labeled "R"  &  "2"   , (near as I can tell).

If I wire these up is it possible the alt may funtion better at low RPM?

which wire to which terminal?

Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Learpilot

Quote from: CrosleyI have this GM  100amp  1 wire alternator  from Summit.

Terminals labeled "R"  &  "2"   , (near as I can tell).

If I wire these up is it possible the alt may funtion better at low RPM?

which wire to which terminal?

If it a 10 SI or 12 SI the only way is to go to a smaller pulley. I got one at a local alternator rebuild shop.
I think with a one wire terminal you don't use the r & 2 terminals.
you can convert it to a three wire alternator. I don't think it will put out any more amps at lower rpm,but it will put out more voltage. Go to www.madelectrical.com .

This is the reason that GM made the CS130 alternators. They are only rated at 105 amps but put out more amps at lower rpms. If you get a CS130 from a 1989 Chevy with a v-belt it will bolt right in place of you 10 Si alternator.
I hope this helps.
Rick Harris

model a vette

If you wire up the other two terminals the alt will turn on as soon as you start the engine. A one wire has to have the engined revved, once it starts, to have the alt turn on.
Ed

Dave

Quote from: "model a vette"If you wire up the other two terminals the alt will turn on as soon as you start the engine. A one wire has to have the engined revved, once it starts, to have the alt turn on.

Thats right but i dont know the numbers or what they mean tony. And if you go back and search for rumrums post(spelling) he had a link to a nice article on how to really wire an alternator.  Ive wired a lot of cars before they had these wire kits and i never knew that the alternator could basically charge on demand. If I were to do it again id go with another powermaster cause they are set up to go both ways and id have wired my coupe with a 3 wire scheme. In fact I planned on doing just that but the heart attack kinda foiled that plan then I just never had the abmbition to get r done! I must be feelin better cause its almost 7pm and i just came in from sanding the rearend again for filler in the welds.. Ya sure this is fun..:(

Dave :!:  :wink:
ps: its gotta take a stock style plug right? if it does then there is a small wire that goes to the ignition switch to energize the thing and a red wire that gets power or senses power.

Crosley.In.AZ

I was looking to do that voltage sensing thingy that was mentioned in runrum post and on the madelectrical site...

i want to see if the alt will kick up the charge rate at idle or not... a smaller pulley is not a possiblity.... purty small pulley on the alt now.

madeletrical site does not show what wire to what terminal  that I read....... I have trouble reading dry material(tech stuff).... I fall asleep

:shock:  :!:  :!:
Tony

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

tested the wire up 3..... the alt does start charging at idle, no rev up needed.

still a bit low voltage with lights on and the cooling fan running while trans is in gear.

Tony

BFS57

Hello;
Tony, Make sure that everything you are switching on is grounded!!!
Sounds like you may have a bad ground someplace!

Bruce

rumrumm

I can tell you that at idle with a one-wire alternator, my voltmeter read 13.8 and when I made the change to the three-wire hookup, my voltmeter reads 14.4 at idle. When you run a three-wire system, the alternator will sense a load and produce more power to compensate. When you get the alternator plug from a parts store, the white wire goes to the fuse panel (on the Centech panel it is the generator wire) while the red wire goes to the 12 volt battery wire coming out of the fuse panel or to the main post on the starter where that wire ends up. I have separate terminals for wires that need a battery connection and for wires that need an ignition connection so I ran it to the battery terminal. It made a big difference. I won't run a one-wire system anymore. It is not worth the convenience.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

Dave

Quote from: "rumrumm"I can tell you that at idle with a one-wire alternator, my voltmeter read 13.8 and when I made the change to the three-wire hookup, my voltmeter reads 14.4 at idle. When you run a three-wire system, the alternator will sense a load and produce more power to compensate. When you get the alternator plug from a parts store, the white wire goes to the fuse panel (on the Centech panel it is the generator wire) while the red wire goes to the 12 volt battery wire coming out of the fuse panel or to the main post on the starter where that wire ends up. I have separate terminals for wires that need a battery connection and for wires that need an ignition connection so I ran it to the battery terminal. It made a big difference. I won't run a one-wire system anymore. It is not worth the convenience.

Lynn.. your my hero.. I read the article and I never knew an alternator worked that way. Its a good learning experience and sumpin ill remember. These are the things I like to see and read.. Im kinda a nut for knowledge and a good day is a day when you learn sumpin new.  Thanks again for the link and the knowledge..
Dave
ps: im busier than a 1 armed wall paper hanger  ...
Have you been inducted yet   :?:  :?:  If not your in.. I gots to get some one to trak all this crap.. I got to get a car going..  :wink: Change your sig  dude your in..

EMSjunkie

I agree :idea:

Welcome to Team Smart Lynn. 8)

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

rumrumm

Thanks, guys! I'll do my best not to get traded to Team Dumb.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

UGLY OLDS

Lynn....as usual...My condolences... :(  :(   Welcome to Team Smart... :!:  :!:  :lol:  :lol:

( SUPER  job of explaining the alternator issue..Dave understood it & you didn't even supply pictures )   :!:  :!:  :shock:  :shock:  8)
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****