Bleeding Wilwood Discs?

Started by seadog, July 18, 2007, 07:45:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seadog

I've just finished bending the lines and hooking up my brakes.  Since this is my first ever attempt at a build I naturally have some stupid questions.  Bear with me.  This is a Wilwood 4 wheel disc system on a Deuce chassis.  Each caliper has what appears to be 4 bleed screws.  Each caliper has 4 pistons.  Do I have to get the bubbles out of each bleed screw,or is it sufficient to bleed one screw?  I know this is probably basic stuff but we all have to start somewhere.  Now that the laughter has subsided can somebody please answer.  Thanks.

Dave

Quote from: "seadog"I've just finished bending the lines and hooking up my brakes.  Since this is my first ever attempt at a build I naturally have some stupid questions.  Bear with me.  This is a Wilwood 4 wheel disc system on a Deuce chassis.  Each caliper has what appears to be 4 bleed screws.  Each caliper has 4 pistons.  Do I have to get the bubbles out of each bleed screw,or is it sufficient to bleed one screw?  I know this is probably basic stuff but we all have to start somewhere.  Now that the laughter has subsided can somebody please answer.  Thanks.

Ya gotta do all the bleed screws.. Why cause the are seperate pistons thats why..
Kinda like the old vette stuff PIA.......
Dave

slocrow

I don't think so Dave. I just spoke about my Wildwood's in Columbus with your friend Michael. He specifically warned me about "bleeding" the lower screws. He said that it's a necessary option for a universal caliper. He warned me against opening the lower ones. I'm aware of the 4 vs. 2 piston chamber option. At this point I'd be hesitant about confirming your position........just passing on what I heard............. .......Frank
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

Deuce

Quote from: "seadog"This is a Wilwood 4 wheel disc system on a Deuce chassis.  Each caliper has what appears to be 4 bleed screws.  Each caliper has 4 pistons.  Do I have to get the bubbles out of each bleed screw,or is it sufficient to bleed one screw?    Thanks.

I have the same exact setup ... and I just bled mine last weekend ...  :D

Had to bleed all 4 per wheel ... and I almost messed up. The bleeders are so small ... and set in a brass fitting ... I was trying to turn the brass fitting ...  :(  NOT GOOD ... the bleeder is the very small black nipple that uses a 1/4 inch wrench ...

MAYBE you can see better than I ... and would not have made that mistake ...
RETIRED.....no phone, no work and No money  :?

Deuce

Quote from: "slocrow"At this point I'd be hesitant about confirming your position........just passing on what I heard............. .......Frank

I  was typing while you where posting ... I may have messed up ... but I know that I bled the furtherest one first. When I went to the next one ... I got air ... bled it ... got air at the 3rd one ... bled it ... got air at the last one too ...

Only reporting my experiences ...  :(

slocrow

Well, ya got me thinking but as I understand what I was told, there is but one air/fluid chamber for both pistons or........the bleeder valves on one side are bleeding the same cavity.
If I understand what your saying Deuce, you got air out of all the screws and started with the top/outside screw, next came either top/inside or bottom/ outside respectively and finished with the bottom inside, in all cases.
If my info is correct you probably should not have gotten air but hyd fluid when you bleed that bottom/outside screw.
Maybe somebody else can concur and I'll question my source................Frank

river1

took me awhile but according to

http://www.moparaction.com/Tech/archive/disc-calipers.html

you only do the top bleeders. it's almost to the bottom of that page

this page also

http://www.hotrodheaven.com/store/brakes/wilwood/faq.asp#question16

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

slocrow

How 'bout that! In less then 2 hours RRT delivers the quaint essential answer, with references. Thanks Jim, now we all know.

Seadog, I've heard that sometimes in some calipers, if the bleeder screw isn't perpendicular to the floor, there is a possibility of trapping a some small amount of air at the top of the caliper. To avoid this it has been suggested that you attach the bottom of the caliper to the mount, roll the caliper back so that the bleeder points straight up, place a block between the pads where the rotor was and get to bleeding. Good luck, Frank

Deuce

COOL ...  :D

I do not imagine bleeding all four would harm anything ... at least I hope not ... too late now ...  :(

Dave

Quote from: "Deuce"COOL ...  :D

I do not imagine bleeding all four would harm anything ... at least I hope not ... too late now ...  :(

well in the old sprint car days we were told to bleed all 4 i thought but that was a while ago. At least slocrow got us all straightened out. Frank your my hero and guess what  :lol:  :lol: Looks like your a candidate for team smart :idea: Im going to let the other members vote you in on this one though.. All in Favor  :?:  :?:  :?:
Dave

58 Yeoman

Call Wilwood and ask them?
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Dave

By the way im thinnin we had this dicussion a few years ago and it had to do with the setup on slocrow's coupe :?: I guess if I had to guess without seeing the calipers and not knowing that there are bleed screws on the bottom then again id say bleed all 4.. Now knowing there are 4 bleeders and 2 are on the bottom id say bleed just the top ones and im assuming the top bleeders are for seperate pistons? Ill look closer at the pic.. I did a 67 vette years ago that all the bleeders were broke off and no one could get brakes. I removed the calipers from the mounts and rotated em so the fittings for the lines were the high point and blead the system by cracking the lines loose. Worked fine. The guy had a ton of money in the vette and didnt want to spend a ton more so this was the cheap fix doing it this way. Oh ya the shop that was working on it before i got it ruined the M/C so i put M/C on it off something that id tore apart a year or so before :?: Dont remember what it was but it was a gm product and it worked :!:
Dave

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "jusjunk"

Im going to let the other members vote you in on this one though.. All in Favor  :?:  :?:  :?:
Dave

AYE

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

Dave

Quote from: "EMSjunkie"
Quote from: "jusjunk"

Im going to let the other members vote you in on this one though.. All in Favor  :?:  :?:  :?:
Dave

AYE

Vance

Well if the vice president gives a hell yes (thats redneck for 2 thumbs up cause most rednecks lost a thumb in a farming accident or some case of domestic violence )then its a go...
Our newest Team Smart Member slocrow

Dave :wink:

ps: Frank ive been to your house and vance and i discussed it and were gonna overlook the line in the bylaws about the pen for the sheep :?:
You maybe got a spare beed room  :wink:

UGLY OLDS

NICE GOIN' BOZ.....err...Congratulations FRANK  :!:  :!:  :!: Welcome to Team Smart..May your road alway's be smooth & your sheep alway's be ...uh...hum. :roll:  :roll: ..SHEEPIE  :!:  :idea:  :!: YUP..That's it  :!:  :!:  Things are jus' SHEEPIE :!:  :!:  It's the new Team Smart Slogan :!:  :!:  :!:  :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****