Style

Started by enjenjo, July 08, 2007, 12:27:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

I was thinking today that most of us have a "style" that we use when designing something. What brought it to mind was Glen's pictures of the bike he is building.  A lot of it would be recognisable as his work, even if I didn't know it. We tend to use the same solutions over and over on different applications.

Of course this also had to do with the skills, materials, and tools available to us. I always marveled what was made from what was in the junk box at various places I worked. Since I have an ironworker, a lot of my parts are fabricated from plate that is bent and welded. Others use different tools for a solution to the same problems with a different approach.

Sometimes I don't believe what we did with a minimum of tools when we didn't have the means to own them. Tools don't make you do a better job, they just let you do a good job faster.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Flipper

I don't even follow my own formulas.   ....they are all different for me.

...and yes I do get a kick out of recycling stuff.   A good junk pile is as good as gold to me.

phat46

Usually after I have built a piece from scratch i find something that was much closer to the finished product than what i started with. This just means that my "donor" pile isn't large enough. A couple days ago a friend and i went to a salvage yard to get a trans for me. Turns out my friend is a good friend with the guy that was running the yard and asked about some doors he's been looking for. The guy told us to go look around in the areas that are usually off limits. I think this is where they hide all the good stuff; my mind was racing with the possibilities of all the stuff we saw!!!  Of course this probably means that my "style" is strickly "junkyard"   :lol:

donsrods

Some people are just natural born craftsmen.  When you look at their work, you just recognize that it is something special.  

When I was growing up in the '50's, most of the rods and customs were pretty crude, but we had one local guy who was a little older than us, and very skilled in metal working.  He had a '32 roadster, chopped and channelled, and it had all these neat things done to it.  The cycle fenders weren't just mounted with straps, he actually made full steel plates that enclosed the backside, and the door sills were metal finished like a factory job.  

I used to look at his work and marvel because he just "saw" things a little differently than the average guy.  He went the extra step to make it really right.  We see this all the time in guys like Foose, who are perfectionists and have the talent to back it up.

Don

Dave

Style is just something your born with.. I see it every morning when I look in the Mirror ........
Thank you...... Another post gone to hell
Dave :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

phat rat

Style!! Every Morning!! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  

:ha)  :ha)  :ha)  :ha)
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "jusjunk"Style is just something your born with.. I see it every morning when I look in the Mirror ........
Thank you...... Another post gone to hell
Dave :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

yep

Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Dave

Thanks Tony I love Ya....
Dave

WZ JUNK

I go with the form follows function approach.  I try to make something that will work and then do my best to make it look right.  Since I do not have a plasma cutter, lathe, or mill, most of my parts require a lot of hand work.  I just do the best I can with this tired old body and the tools that I have in the shop.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Glen

Quote from: "enjenjo"What brought it to mind was Glen's pictures of the bike he is building.  A lot of it would be recognisable as his work, even if I didn't know it.

I hate having to buy someone elses product.  Sure I could purchase something slick and 4 axis machined.  But if I can
make something that I think looks pretty darn cool with what I got that's where I want to go.

Along that same line, I dont want to have anyone working on any of my stuff because when they say "where did you get that?"
or "who painted that" I want to say me.

That being said my Model A chassis is at El Polacko's shop, because I know that is an a little over my head
and extremely time consuming, something I have little of right now with this bike in the works.

I had never painted anything before so I mixed up some paint and shot this on my first attempt.

Today I decided to throw paint at something again and came up with this:

The fact that you acknowledged the work made my day, thanks.

tomslik

ok, how'd ya do dat?
kinda like the old "lace"?
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

rumrumm

Style is problematic for some people and I see it at car shows all the time. We have probably all seen a nicely built '32 Ford with a four piece hood, buggy spring front suspension, and 20 inch Budniks. Or the Caddy I saw in Des Moines--four door converted to a convertible, shaved handles, four highback bucket seats and a huge blown engine sticking out of the hood. Nice craftsmanship but a stylistic horror. And it was a Pro's Pick!!  I don't like to criticize other people's vehicles, but some are just wrong.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

Glen

Quote from: "tomslik"ok, how'd ya do dat?
kinda like the old "lace"?

That's the direction I was headed...the old lace paint jobs, I used a pair of Fishnet stockings instead.

rumrumm

That was a very cool idea! But if I bought fishnet stockings, my wife would start wondering! LOL!!
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "rumrumm"That was a very cool idea! But if I bought fishnet stockings, my wife would start wondering! LOL!!

She has no need for concern  8) ...You're not related to Vance  :shock:  :wink:
Found your coupe at Des Moines...Looked all over , sorry I never found you  :( ..Maybe next time... ( After I asked the same guy sitting in the shade by the exibitors building twice in an hour if he was " Rumrumm" , my wife decided I had spent too much time in the sun & got me out of there pronto... :roll:  :roll: )
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****