fiber nail files..tech

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, July 07, 2007, 03:44:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

monday eve I had to drive down to tucson to pick up my brother and his kid's broken car...

I hooked up my trailer to the truck.... NO lights on the trailer.  I found some corrosion was the problem in the trailer plug. I cleaned it up enough to get the job done that night.

Today I used a fiber nail file from my wife to sand the contacts on this 7 hole RV type connector. They are rectangle shaped holes I had to reach down into to clean the contacts up... it worked well

Does dielectric grease work to keep these things clean a little longer? Never had a corrosion problem with the plug before
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

GPster

Quote from: "Crosley"Today I used a fiber nail file from my wife to sand the contacts on this 7 hole RV type connector. They are rectangle shaped holes I had to reach down into to clean the contacts up... it worked well
Wher you wearing her panty hose so you wouldn't get any filingson yourself? GPster

Dave

Quote from: "GPster"
Quote from: "Crosley"Today I used a fiber nail file from my wife to sand the contacts on this 7 hole RV type connector. They are rectangle shaped holes I had to reach down into to clean the contacts up... it worked well
Wher you wearing her panty hose so you wouldn't get any filingson yourself? GPster

Joe Thats FUNNY
Dave
oh tony i think it will help. :arrow:

Dave

Tony I bought some stuff for the PCIII install on the harley that dynojet suggested (guess they aint water proof either) ha ha ya look at my elbow :lol:  :lol: Ill look at the stuff i got tomorrow if i get a chance.. My buddy that owes mw a few favors is comming over to shoot primer on the roadster frame for me while i watch! He is an ex body man painter and so am i but he is better. So while he is getting r done ill look for the stuff.....
Dave

C9

Quote from: "Crosley"Does dielectric grease work to keep these things clean a little longer? Never had a corrosion problem with the plug before

I think the dielectric grease would create more problems than it would cure.
You'd end up with dust and grit captured in there etc.

Some of my trailers have sat for a while between uses.

When you park the trailer, arrange the plug on the wire so it's either protected from rain or pointing down so the receptacles can't fill up with water.

When you hook up for the first time in a while, plug and unplug the connector several times.
That scrubs the oxidation off and you end up with a good electrical contact.

If you don't have one, you need a dedicated ground wire between trailer and tow vehicle.
Using the ball hitch for a ground return doesn't always work....
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "C9"
Quote from: "Crosley"Does dielectric grease work to keep these things clean a little longer? Never had a corrosion problem with the plug before

I think the dielectric grease would create more problems than it would cure.
You'd end up with dust and grit captured in there etc.

Some of my trailers have sat for a while between uses.

When you park the trailer, arrange the plug on the wire so it's either protected from rain or pointing down so the receptacles can't fill up with water.

When you hook up for the first time in a while, plug and unplug the connector several times.
That scrubs the oxidation off and you end up with a good electrical contact.

If you don't have one, you need a dedicated ground wire between trailer and tow vehicle.
Using the ball hitch for a ground return doesn't always work....

C9.....

Reason I did not suspect corrosion at first is my trailer sits in a covered parking spot. The plug sits inside a metal box where there is supposed to be a battery for the breakaway switch for brakes. Never been a battery there.

I unplugged and wiggled the connector many times while reciting words the neighbors did not want to hear... of course I was in a hurry.

I used WD-40 & compressed air to clean out the crud as I sanded the contacts.

Joe... dave , vance and ewe can show me how the panty hose things works..

carry on.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

I use Dow 111 grease on trailer plugs. It doesnt attract dirt, and keeps the contacts clean
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.