Steering Problem on the Tuna Boat! UGGG

Started by msuguydon, July 02, 2007, 12:09:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

msuguydon

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"Don, I'm assuming that when you pull up on the steering column shaft, that the clamp with the single bolt isn't moving on the shaft coming out of the box?  The shaft inside the box is moving with the clamp/steering column, meaning that the clamp is tight?

Well, you might just be on to something... if you look at the second picture you see that nice shiny bolt between the black rubber gizmo (rag joint?) and the steering box... well ... I tightened that bolt up... it seems to have a fixed the issue... does this make sense... it kinda does to me.. but what do I know!!
Would plastic be okay for you today?

Proud Member of Team Smart

GPster

Quote from: "msuguydon"Well, you might just be on to something... if you look at the second picture you see that nice shiny bolt between the black rubber gizmo (rag joint?) and the steering box... well ... I tightened that bolt up... it seems to have a fixed the issue... does this make sense... it kinda does to me.. but what do I know!!
That is the bolt I was refering to that should be a 12point bolt. The correct bolt pulls that collar closed and into the splines on the steering box shaft. The bolt should be in a position to slide in a groove in the splines on that shaft or along the flat side of the splines. If that bolt wasn't tight (and was the correct one) the splines on that collar would expand and not fit in the corresponding splines of the steering box shaft. If it worked that way for a while the steering column might only be turning the steering box because the side of the bolt is flat against the flat side of the splined shaft out of the steering box. I don't recall but the un-threaded side of the correct bolt might be a little larger than the un-threaded shank of a regular bolt. I personally think you should be out looking for a replacement "rag joint". I used to have a 3/8" / 7/16" box end wrench that was longer than most that made short work of taking out the correct bolt on the steering box shaft but I must have left it under the hood of a "Junker" somewhere. GPster

UGLY OLDS

Don...If I am understanding properly, the " Rag Joint" ,( Black thing on the end of the steering shaft with the "rubbing bolt" in it ) , is loose on the steering box input shaft -( "silver thing" that gets exposed when you pull up on the wheel ) ...It may be as simple as tightening that bolt...The input shaft has a "notch" in it , ( look at the manual picture) , that the bolt needs to line up in before being tightened...It does not go "through" the shaft, it kind lays "alongside "it ...Move the rag joint up away from the steering box approx 1/4"...enough to make the bolt heads clear the steering box & then tighten the bolt.....It is VERY unlikly the box had an internal failure all of a sudden...they seldom go bad that way..Try tightening the bolt first...the rag joint coupler is NOT supposed to slide up & down on the input shaft...It MUST be tight on the shaft & the "rubbing bolt " is what keeps it tight.....
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

UGLY OLDS

THAT settles it :!:  :!:  I MUST learn to type with more than 2 fingers & get rid of this dumb dial-up thingie.... :oops:  :oops:  Another case where the problem is solved & the car is road tested...Where am I  :?:  :?:  :?:  I'm still thinkin' & punchin' buttons.....Pappy always said I was " Slow"  :roll:  :roll:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:   "Team Smart"  :?:  :?:  BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA  :lol:  :lol:  :wink:

Dave

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"THAT settles it :!:  :!:  I MUST learn to type with more than 2 fingers & get rid of this dumb dial-up thingie.... :oops:  :oops:  Another case where the problem is solved & the car is road tested...Where am I  :?:  :?:  :?:  I'm still thinkin' & punchin' buttons.....Pappy always said I was " Slow"  :roll:  :roll:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:   "Team Smart"  :?:  :?:  BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA  :lol:  :lol:  :wink:

Keep it up and your gonna be suspended  :!:  :!: Ill take 750 driver points and 2 owner points just cause your not smart enuff to be an owner  :lol:  :lol:

Back to topic.. Don ol buddy I hate to burst your balloon here but just for safety sake please check that frame again. That box should not move around on that frame. On a home built hot rod then ok ill buy it but not on that big old heavy 58 chevrolet frame... Now I could be talking out my ugly olds here Or my ravvyn :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  But im thinking bout you and the family.. Jack that thing up get some jack stands a flashlight a trouble light a mercury light ya ok..
Just look at it real good .. Your a lot of fun lets keep it that way....
Dave
By the way please dont give up either ... since you dont know JACK your easy to train.. :wink:

UGLY OLDS

I'm preparing a reply.....It should be posted about Thursday... :roll:  :roll:

Rayvyn

Quote from: jusjunkNow I could be talking out my ugly olds here Or my ravvyn :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  quote]

Hey Hey Hey Hey bondo breath... :x
I will not stand for that kind of defamatory talk... :evil:
This is a family site and that type of reference will NOT be tolerated... :twisted:
Clean up your act FAST...or else... :)S(

Capitalize those names boyo. Show a little respect... :roll:
It's Ugly Olds and Rayvyn... 8)
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:
***SFC-Team Smart***

What can a bird do that a man can\'t?

Whistle through his pecker...

Charlie Chops 1940

I don't believe that steering box is original to the '58. Chevy p.s. through '64 used the ram type power assist not an integral box as they are called later on the steering linkage. The integral boxes seem to last forever.

I would go back to square one and check the installation. It seems to me that we determined a couple months ago that the frame had been modified to utilize this box. It's probably a '65 or later full size car box.

Given the number of loose parts and finger tight nuts and bolts you have run across I'd check everything.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

msuguydon

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"
Given the number of loose parts and finger tight nuts and bolts you have run across I'd check everything.

Charlie

Man you guys seem to know WAY TOO MUCH ABOUT my car...  at what point do I lose my gold chain status,.... you know, like do I lose my virginity if I get to second base, third base, or do I have to go all the way home?  Another question what are the bases.. changing the oil is first base, second is opening the hood and taking off the fan belt, third base is changing a tire, home base is actually getting grease on my hands?

I think I am about to Host the TUNA BOAT Memorial Cruise-IN.... we pick a spot... I drive the TUNA boat there.... you guys all  show up with jack stands, screw drivers, wrenches... and you are assigned a bolt or a screw, your choice and we each take turns tightening our assigned  fastener .. until Enjenjo and GPster say we are done... then we drink beer and you guys can make fun of me!

Sounds like a weekend!

Charlie Chops 1940

Ha...you don't get off that easy....just cuz you started late doesn't get you a free pass. Ya gotta go through the steps just like the rest of us poor slobs. LOL.

The problem with hot rods is that a lot of regular mechanics don't have a clue what they're looking at either. Have you ever heard the term "institutional memory"- the product or process memory carried by all the old timers at whatever the facility is. I worked a large part of my career (20  years) for the old Continental Motors but I didn't know near as much as the guys that spent 40 years there and as they retired and the  company changed hands and the technical resources dwindled away, our combined knowledge got smaller and smaller.

A number of us on this board have been at this for 45 or 50 years...we've learned a few things and forgot some too. Hang in there you'll catch up.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

58 Yeoman

Charlie is right, that's not a '58 box.  Here are 2 pix of mine (don't be looking at the rust).

I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

phat rat

I think I am about to Host the TUNA BOAT Memorial Cruise-IN.... we pick a spot... I drive the TUNA boat there.... you guys all show up with jack stands, screw drivers, wrenches... and you are assigned a bolt or a screw, your choice and we each take turns tightening our assigned fastener .. until Enjenjo and GPster say we are done... then we drink beer and you guys can make fun of me!

What do you mean then we can make fun of you then.? We can do that here. They are right you know, check everything for tightness. That moving of the steering shaft at the box is NOT acceptable, nor is the bvox moving. Charlie was right, I saw the same thing where I worked for 43 yrs. I was off for 6 months one time came back and the only other guy who knew the job was gone and the guys taking his place didn't know s%^$ it takes a while to learn. Hang in there and don't be afraid to ask questions. The only dumb question is the one NOT asked
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

enjenjo

That rag joint soesn't look too healthy either.

I'm with Dave on this, the box shouldn;t move, if it is, there is a problem. I am guessing that the box mounting bolts don't go all the way through the frame, and may be working loose because of that. Also, if possible, use all 4 bolts for mounting.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Dave

Quote from: "enjenjo"That rag joint soesn't look too healthy either.

I'm with Dave on this, the box shouldn;t move, if it is, there is a problem. I am guessing that the box mounting bolts don't go all the way through the frame, and may be working loose because of that. Also, if possible, use all 4 bolts for mounting.

At least someone agrees with me... :lol: Ive seen home built frames with box mounts with no gussets and also stock frames with no boxing or not enuff boxing near the steering mounts move. Not that its unsafe but it can interject (wow big word) a false sense of something being loose in the steering or suspension. This can also lead to funny steering and bump steer etc etc.. So with that said back to Dons problem (hope ive got enuff time) :shock:
Again and frank and I agree. That frame should not allow the box to move so it needs to be looked at closely. Ya the rag joint should prolly be checked out also.
Your doing good Don but we all agree here your gonna have to learn by yourself.. You might think were mean but like i said in the earlier post your trainable. Some people arent  :lol:
Dave :arrow:  :wink:  :arrow:

msuguydon

Lets stop here a minute and re-cap.  (I feel like the news anchor covering a big breaking story).  :roll:

1)  The steering box is not out of a 58.  

2)  I checked the three (3) bolts mounting the steering box.  All three are so tight I cannot move them.

3)  The mounting plate, welded to the frame was recently rewelded.  It was done by a professional NHRA chassis builder, he added gussets etc... I am confident in the mounting of the adaptor plate.

4)  The rag joint is not looking healthy.  

5)  I tightened the bolt around the input shaft, this made a huge difference.  The steering shaft no longer moves up and down, the bolt that I tightened no longers rubs on the top of the steering box.

6)  Don is trainable.

7)  Ugly olds cannot type fast.

8)  The Tuna boat memorial Cruise-In is cancelled.

9)  Dave smells like bondo and has road rash.

Here are things we need to work on...

1)  I used the term "flex" when describing the steering box when it is under load, meaning it moves a tiny, tiny bit.. like any mechanical device when its under load.  I am gonna have the kid do a little driving in the drive way and in front of the house, while I walk along side and see if it moves.

2)  Where do I purchase a rag joint, and I assume that is not the official name of this steering shaft /universal joint/ rubber dampener?

3)  Ugly Olds typing skills

4)  Dave's showering habits.