Steering Problem on the Tuna Boat! UGGG

Started by msuguydon, July 02, 2007, 12:09:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Someone was repoping them there rag joints don but i cant remember who it was.. Remember google can be your friend although i couldnt google a good restraunt in woodbridge VA last week but in 30 seconds i found the state liquor store was only a block and 1/2 away.. Imagine that. :lol:  8)  :lol: .
Im gonna make an educated guess here that the bolt for the clamp on the rag joint was loose inducing free play both up and down and back and forth in the joint because it wasnt tight on the splines. Dont stand in front of the car with the boy driving and dont * him off before you try this :lol:
I think your on to the root of the problem.
Dave
oh i shower all the time and your still trainable but dont get too smart.

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=700+400574+115+4294815103

Try that link .. made by ididit and sold by summit racing and no i dont know ehat spline your box and shaft has but if you can hold it closer to your monitor ill take a guess.......

enjenjo

Quote1) I used the term "flex" when describing the steering box when it is under load, meaning it moves a tiny, tiny bit.. like any mechanical device when its under load. I am gonna have the kid do a little driving in the drive way and in front of the house, while I walk along side and see if it moves.

The flexing may be in the frame, as it was not originally designed for the loads it is seeing now. It can be fixed if that is the case, but it's a job for a pro.

Quote2) Where do I purchase a rag joint, and I assume that is not the official name of this steering shaft /universal joint/ rubber dampener?

You can get just the rubber part of a rag joint at most auto parts stores, to get the conplete joint, you may have to see a dealer.  A common misconception is that a rag joint will act as a Ujoint. They will not last if they are misaligned. They are there to dampen vibration feedback from the steering. If the shaft is misaligned at the steering box, a Ujoint with vibration damper from Borgeson, or Flaming river is a better solution.

Quote3) Ugly Olds typing skills

His real problem is he can't spell. He went to a small country school, and the teacher only knew 11 letters, so that's all he knows. Also, he can only count to 7

Quote4) Dave's showering habits.

No help here.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

slocrow

Hey Don, what was actually done for you by that helpful HAMB'er, a little while back. You remember, wife was out of reach, kid had to be to a new job, you were at a track.............Wasn't there some repair done to the steering? Maybe it was just a temp fix. CRS has settled in.......Frank
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

msuguydon

Quote from: "slocrow"Hey Don, what was actually done for you by that helpful HAMB'er, a little while back. You remember, wife was out of reach, kid had to be to a new job, you were at a track.............Wasn't there some repair done to the steering? Maybe it was just a temp fix. CRS has settled in.......Frank

As mentioned before, the power steering box that I have on my car is not a 1958 assist.  

So welded to the inside of the frame rail is a metal mounting plate and the power steering box is bolted to this plate and through the frame rail.

What happened was that the weld broke along the top of mounting plate and frame.  This break allowed the steering box to move all over the place but it stay attached to the frame as the top bolt held.

We unbolted the steering box from the frame and steering shaft then
Rooman, Hamber and professional chassis builder re-welded the mounting plate back to the frame rail, added some gussets and we re-bolted the steering box in place.
Would plastic be okay for you today?

Proud Member of Team Smart

Dave

Quote from: "msuguydon"
Quote from: "slocrow"Hey Don, what was actually done for you by that helpful HAMB'er, a little while back. You remember, wife was out of reach, kid had to be to a new job, you were at a track.............Wasn't there some repair done to the steering? Maybe it was just a temp fix. CRS has settled in.......Frank

As mentioned before, the power steering box that I have on my car is not a 1958 assist.  

So welded to the inside of the frame rail is a metal mounting plate and the power steering box is bolted to this plate and through the frame rail.

What happened was that the weld broke along the top of mounting plate and frame.  This break allowed the steering box to move all over the place but it stay attached to the frame as the top bolt held.

We unbolted the steering box from the frame and steering shaft then
Rooman, Hamber and professional chassis builder re-welded the mounting plate back to the frame rail, added some gussets and we re-bolted the steering box in place.

Ya ok so lets look at that rag joing and fix it or get a new one or as Frank suggested maybe better to put a regular ujoint in there.. And yes we got the picture thats its not a 58 box so im guessing its a 605..
Get off the computer and get out there and get r fixed..  :lol:
:lol:  :arrow:  :!:  :wink: Dave

enjenjo

Don, looking back at the pictures, it appears to have cracks in the frame near the top of the steering box.

58 Yeoman

Frank, I think that what you are seeing is the 'boxing' of the frame from  the factory; there are actually two layers there.  Mine is the same, only has a little more welding done along the joint.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Dave

Quote from: "enjenjo"Don, looking back at the pictures, it appears to have cracks in the frame near the top of the steering box.

Good eye Frank im seeing the same thing. :?:  :?:  :?:
dave

Charlie Chops 1940

You guys got better eyes than I do...if there is cracking maybe there isn't a crush tube or tubes where needed inside the frame rail. If not, tightening the bolts that go all the way through only crush the frame rail and loosen up because the rail moves in under use.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

sirstude

Frank,  You looking at the one that is about at the rag joint and appears kind of rusty, or the line that runs out of the small hole about 2 inches in front of the rag joint?  I think the rusty one is just a double layer too, but I would be tempted to weld it anyway.

Don, like Charlie says, are there crush sleeves between the 2 sides of the frame where the steering box bolts?  Or is the frame drilled and the bolts only go through the plate that you had welded up?  

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

UGLY OLDS

WOW :shock:  :shock:  Look at all the letters  :!:  :!:  :!: I'm still working on my rep
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Fat Cat

I think that the area enjenjo is talking about is this one.

enjenjo

At the right end of the top rectangle, there looks to be a crack that does down the inside of the frame. Also, what they said about the crush sleeves.

msuguydon

I hope everyone had a safe and happy 4th.  Lots of rain here, but we did have a chance to grill some steaks and take a dip in the pool!  

Spent most the day installing interior windshield and door garnish, man I hate those * interior window felts and the stupid staple attachment .... but the new pieces make the car look NICEer!

Crush tubes, I am no frame guy but there are round openings on the outside of the frame and inside portion of the frame rail. I can reach into them and feel metal material, some of the tubes are bigger, some are smaller, I assume these are crush tubes, if so, they are there.

Cracking... I have done my best to really look at this section of frame, I believe what you are seeing are seams from the 2nd skin.  They are all welded in place, I see NOO cracks.  

I made an inaccurate statement earlier, the steering box is held in place by 3 bolts, however only one goes through the frame, the top bolt.  The others mount to little ears, that are welded in place to the bottom of the frame and to the mounting bracket,  this was an area that Rooman added gussets and rewelded in place.  The did not break, but he cut them out and added some stuff and re-welded in place.
Would plastic be okay for you today?

Proud Member of Team Smart