Motorcycle air-bag deploys in a crash

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, June 30, 2007, 11:21:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

donsrods

As a non bike guy, I found it really interesting that a bike would have an airbag.  Something I never thought of.  Looks from the story that they did their homework and engineered them to work well.

Like everything else, if you want them buy a bike that has one.  If not, pass.

Don

58 Yeoman

Like Tony, I seldom use reverse, but it DOES  come in handy when you're trying to back into a space, and there's gravel on the road.  Don't have to worry about your foot losing grip and falling over.

Falling over.  Reminds me of a time a couple years ago, my GF and I were in a 50's style eatery, and an old friend comes in with a cast on his leg.  His hair and beard are like ZZtop, and has ridden HD's and Indians since I can remember.  He sits at the next table, and I look over and kiddingly ask "Hey Don, what'd you do, fall off your bike?"  He says "yeah, and I was at a stoplight when I did it; forgot to put my feet down."

:lol:
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "tomslik"work as planned?
i thought it was supposed to deflect the rider ( which would still need a helmet)but i could be wrong....

it would seem the fellow without a helmet was saved serious injury since he did not fly over the handle bars and hit the side of the  car with his face.  I would describe that as the air bag functioned as intended.

I would think & hope most folks would wear a real helmet .... not one of those paper Mache 1/2 helmet  POS

FYI... Honda started development of the motorcycle air-bag in 1990. It was released in 2006
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

CQQL33

I have been riding for many years.   My first bike was a BSA Road Rocket, losts of chrome and flash.  Currently I have a '05 Harley FX series, and the weight of this bike is 625 pounds without a rider (?).    In most cases, a bike will accelerate faster than the average car, stop faster than the average car and out maneuver the average car...............

IT IS THE SAFEST VEHICLE ON THE ROAD,UP TO THE POINT OF IMPACT,
THAN EVERYTHING IS WORKING AGAINST YOU...
It is difficult to argue with the driver of the car that just cut you off, while you are picking up your teeth off of the bumper of his car !  :(U)
Keep you attention on the road and remember that oil floats on water.  The road is slick when it is wet........... 8)

oiler

I am not a biker but i can appreciate them and I find good and bad with both HDs and Goldwings
I'd have to question a airbag on a bike though
We all know that auto airbags are a "supplemental restraint"
As such that saves the automakers * when the soccer mom gets killed in a accident while wearing her seatbelt and the airbag deploys
They can claim in a court of law that the air bag is there to help the person not save their life.
reduce injury is the term I think they use.
On a bike though theres no way to keep the rider on it (seatbelt)
So when the rider gets thrown and killed and the airbag does nothing I wonder if the lawyers will have a legal case.
You know some guys family will say (well he knew it had a airbag so he should have been safe)
You'd think Honda would have done their homework on that though
Just food for thought

KustomLincolnLady

hummm interesting, My thought was wouldn't the air bag deploy and throw you off the back?  maybe it doesn't come out as powerful as a cars?
I had no idea that bikes came with that!!! :shock:

we did see a new HD Dresser when we were looking that had heated grips, seat, gps, cd and reverse LOL  Maybe they made that for the old guys (reverse)  JK!

Rob says you have to ride like everyones out to kill you :(
just last night we went for a ride and some girl started to pull of in front of us, rob slowed down and she stopped so he started again and * if she didn't start to go again. I waved to her :lol: (like ya dumbass)  it was kinda scary

we got the cop style helmets, I like them a lot you can hear and see , they are pretty nicely padded and dot approved. someone mentioned NOT getting 1/2 helmets, is there a prob with them?  sometimes my ears get cold LOL   :wink:   They do have some that ear flaps zip from, but they didn't have any in my size.
Debb

tomslik

i have one (dot cert) but i think if you hit right, it'd come off.
have a full one too.
fogs up something terrible.
considering a 3/4....(open face)
i usually don't wear one anyway.....

i don't think a helmet saving your * is a sure thing but the way they been killing 'em out here..... :shock:
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Crosley.In.AZ

purpose of the air bag on the bike is reduce the kinetic energy the rider's body has at the point of impact.......

in 'dave' terms :

the bike stops upon imapct of an object..... the body of the rider wants to keep moving.  The airbag hopefully will slow the body down enough to substantially reduce the level of injury.

there was a video on the net that displayed side by side comparo of a GL1800 bike hitting the side of a mini-van.  One bike had an air bag , the other did not.  A test dummy was the rider on each bike.  

The difference of the riders movements at the point of impact was amazing. the non air bag bike rider slammed head first into the van.. the rider on the air bag bike did not hit the van.

8)
Tony

58 Yeoman

Here's a pic of a crash test dummy during an air bag test.  I'm assuming that the cords are to  hold the dummy on the bike.  Notice how much the antenna has bent forward.

I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

KustomLincolnLady

* phil, just want i wanted to see :(  

I was worried enough about having another one  :roll:

i knew i shouldn't have looked at this thread LOL

Fift4fe

When an object (you) is in motion and something stops it suddenly (the impact with ________________) its called a deacceleration injury.  Depending on the speed of the object and the suddeness of the stop determines the severity of the injury.  Severe deacceleration usually results in a ruptured or torn aorta.  Your innards want to keep going even after your body stops, including your brain.  Your brain acts like jello in your skull bouncing back and forth or from side to side.  After a certain speed ain't no bags or helmets going to help.  Your usually gone before help arrives.

I've picked up a lot of "safe riders" in my 35 years of EMS work.  The driver of the other vehicle almost always say "I did'nt see em"

Most deaths in plane crashes (high impact) result from a ruptured aorta.  

Anything to add EMSjunkie ?

Sorry if this is gross, its the facts

Be safe and be aware
OVER!
OVER?

Did we say it was over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Crosley.In.AZ

Deceleration is the key problem.

I believe there are studies conducted in a race circuit named Nascar where the folks discovered that up to 9 or (?) 11 g's of force could be on the human body during a crash.

Some doctors were surprised that the humans had survived these forces
Tony

Dave

I gotta believe he way the dunny's hear is buried in the bag that no matter what its gonna leave a mark :lol: .. Actually it aint funny ..
Im still healing.
Dave :lol:

Crosley.In.AZ

some of them cords in the test photo look like they are for data collection.

There is a fellow in the Chandler / Gilbert area that rides an old Beemer as posted a bit earlier... he has a side car on his bike.  He also dresses in period gear while on the bike.

ride what / how you want.  be careful because you are invisible.
Tony

Mac

Quote from: "Crosley"
There is a fellow in the Chandler / Gilbert area that rides an old Beemer as posted a bit earlier... he has a side car on his bike.  He also dresses in period gear while on the bike.

I'm not that much of a purest  :roll: My Bim is a collection of various bits and pieces, mostly Bavarian but I think of it more like a rat bike.
I tried sombody's bike with sidecar once. What a wrestling match! I found myself seeking relief by straddling the crown of the road. Also, not good for long term health.  :shock:
Who\'s yer Data?