Crosley.In.AZ

Rider was NOT wearing a helmet

follow the link.

Goldwing airbag deploys in a crash

AIRBAG Story
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Mac

I'm sorry but, it seems there's little left but to add a couple more wheels, some doors, back up video monitor and a self-parking feature.

:roll:
Who\'s yer Data?

58 Yeoman

As the old saying goes...."If we have to explain it, you wouldn't understand." :wink:
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Dave

Quote from: "Mac"I'm sorry but, it seems there's little left but to add a couple more wheels, some doors, back up video monitor and a self-parking feature.

:roll:

Yup.. they already have reverse in em.
Dave :wink:

Crosley.In.AZ

Some of you folks like 100 year old technology in a motorcycle, that is fine.

Ride what you want.

Tony

Dave

Well Tony I could prolly * you off but im not goin there. But to say harley has 100 year old technology is bs. Look at the Vrod and all the things they are doing with the new air cooled vtwins. They are gonna have to go water cooled and id bet sooner that they want for epa reasons but they keep making great strides with the air cooled engines and they keep making the grade so the epa doesnt come down on em. The fuel injection has been around for a while and mostly on the bigger bikes and the glides. They only this year went to injection on the sportys to meet current smog regulations. They are more efficent.. Ive ridden most everything and even though mine is currently wrecked :cry:  Ive always wanted a harley and i wasnt worried about taking it to VA but the crash killed that idea.. We ride drive what we want and as far as technogoly how about our hot rods.  :?:  Why fix up this old junk and try to make it drive and ride like a new beemer when we could just go buy a beemer..  I dont care for the gold wings.. too much bling bling for me. I used to like em till they covered everything with plastic. Ride what you want . Ill ride my HOG....... Oh ya at the Harley tour they did say they had another record sales year for 06 and expect the 07 and 08's to be just as good of sellers..
Dave

Crosley.In.AZ

dave.

I posted a link to an event (crash) and the out come that most folks would be happy to read about.

Then the comments start coming along.

This can be directly compared to hot rodding... some folks want the old look and feel with out dated tech.  That is fine

Some folks want more modern power and items on their rods like a/c , power brakes.

My comment about 100 yr old tech was incorrect.  It should have been a 100 yr old design. Some hard core HD folks do not accept the V-rod water pumper as a HD..... as you point out HD has little choice to change it's motors

Ride what you want.  

The air bag on the motorcycle is amazing tech , the GL1800 is an amazing bike for ride handling & power as it is built.   The current Goldwing is not for everybody. That is fine.

When I am out riding what do I see the most of ?? V-twin bikes.

Only reason I posted the link was for a person to see this amazing technology had worked as planned in real life.

Tony

Dave

Ok its like WHATEVER

You seem to like to support the japs and thier technology and also cant take a little ribbing when it comes to your gold wing.....
Excuse me all to hell... I can take it Tony I take it from everyone all the time its not a problem.  Remember if thier picking on me they are leaving people  alone that cant take it.. Like maybe you........
I sure wish my 100 year old technological POS
Was here in the drive cause id go out and ride all over the neighborhood with my loud pipes and * people off........... I do question the value of purpose of an air bag on a motorcycle but i shouldnt go there cause its just gonna hurt your feelings. So it saved one guys life . I did read the story and the way I see it  he learned more about wearing a helmet.. I learned my lesson . Again I dont care what you ride but you need to get over the jap vs H/D stuff its childish........
Have  a nice day
Dave

Mac

Hey folks. I didn't mean to touch a match to anything here. I just made a comment on the current direction of some motorcycle development. I was not criticizing any reason for posting the topic or anyone who chooses to ride modern, cutting egde bikes.
Variety, diversity and the opportunity to choose and maintain if need be any of thousands of ride choices makes this country the awesome place it is.
My budget won't allow me to support the multiple vehicle interests I have unless I do it in the nickel pincher fashion I've practiced all my life. The old Beemer I ride I have owned for over 30 years and I doubt I have much more than a thousand bucks total in it including brakes and tires and recent upgrades to 12V and front disc. It's what I enjoy wrenching and riding but I realise I'm a prime target for criticism as a cobbler and a turd polisher.
Who\'s yer Data?

UGLY OLDS

OK Guys...Now for a STUPID queston.....I don't ride..( Mama does not care for bikes..I respect her wish's..) ..I think Dave mentioned that the new Honda's have reverse in them...I could understand this if a sidecar is fitted, or from the old Harley 3-Wheeler days, but is it needed on the newer bikes to park, or make it easier to park ??  It just seems strange that a motorcycle would need a reverse gear.....Other than " backing up" , ( Com'on guys..Give me a little credit :lol: ) , how is reverse used????   :?  :?
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"OK Guys...Now for a STUPID queston.....I don't ride..( Mama does not care for bikes..I respect her wish's..) ..I think Dave mentioned that the new Honda's have reverse in them...I could understand this if a sidecar is fitted, or from the old Harley 3-Wheeler days, but is it needed on the newer bikes to park, or make it easier to park ??  It just seems strange that a motorcycle would need a reverse gear.....Other than " backing up" , ( Com'on guys..Give me a little credit :lol: ) , how is reverse used????   :?  :?

Honda introduced reverse on the Goldwing in the 1990's.

Many Hondas are converted to trikes. Reverse is useful there.

on the Goldwing reverse is activated with a switch that engages the starter motor to back the bike up if needed.

You have a 850 # bike and depending on how fat your * is & out of shape  , there will be a large effort to move the bike backwards.

I have riden bikes for 4 decades, I seldom need reverse on the bike since I plan ahead.

If my wife does not want to ride with me , she can stay home

8)
Tony

Dave

Never having a scoot with reverse Yes plan ahead. wneh i had my kawsaki voyager VII sue would help he push it back by leaning on the fairing. If she wasnt with me then id find  a way. The harleys go 950..
Dave

UGLY OLDS

That answers my question...I have seen lot's of guy's come to a stop in a parking space at an angle, "gently" let the bike roll back toward the curb with their feet on the ground & then shut it down..Having never ridden, I didnt think it was that much of an issue...Like the man on the radio say's..."Now You Know" ....  :D  8)  :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

tomslik

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"OK Guys...Now for a STUPID queston.....I don't ride..( Mama does not care for bikes..I respect her wish's..) ..I think Dave mentioned that the new Honda's have reverse in them...I could understand this if a sidecar is fitted, or from the old Harley 3-Wheeler days, but is it needed on the newer bikes to park, or make it easier to park ??  It just seems strange that a motorcycle would need a reverse gear.....Other than " backing up" , ( Com'on guys..Give me a little credit :lol: ) , how is reverse used????   :?  :?

Honda introduced reverse on the Goldwing in the 1990's.

Many Hondas are converted to trikes. Reverse is useful there.

on the Goldwing reverse is activated with a switch that engages the starter motor to back the bike up if needed.

You have a 850 # bike and depending on how fat your * is & out of shape  , there will be a large effort to move the bike backwards.

I have riden bikes for 4 decades, I seldom need reverse on the bike since I plan ahead.

If my wife does not want to ride with me , she can stay home

8)

"You have a 850 # bike and depending on how fat your * is & out of shape  ,"

well, my * ain't fat but the out of shape fits me;)

and, with harley still using lead and cast iron for frames, mine's around 1000 with me on it...

with all that in mind, i doubt the next bike will be a harley unless it's #1-watercooled and #2 lighter....
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

tomslik

Quote from: "Crosley"dave.

I posted a link to an event (crash) and the out come that most folks would be happy to read about.

Then the comments start coming along.

This can be directly compared to hot rodding... some folks want the old look and feel with out dated tech.  That is fine

Some folks want more modern power and items on their rods like a/c , power brakes.

My comment about 100 yr old tech was incorrect.  It should have been a 100 yr old design. Some hard core HD folks do not accept the V-rod water pumper as a HD..... as you point out HD has little choice to change it's motors

Ride what you want.  

The air bag on the motorcycle is amazing tech , the GL1800 is an amazing bike for ride handling & power as it is built.   The current Goldwing is not for everybody. That is fine.

When I am out riding what do I see the most of ?? V-twin bikes.

Only reason I posted the link was for a person to see this amazing technology had worked as planned in real life.

work as planned?
i thought it was supposed to deflect the rider ( which would still need a helmet)but i could be wrong....

do i think we need  helmet laws?
NO!
nor do we need seat belt laws...

you wanna wear a helmet? i got no problem with that.
my problem begins when dinglenuts is riding with his fullface helmet on, shorts,sandles, and tank top (if he's wearing a shirt at all) starts telling ME to wear a helmet....

....and i've been seeing a LOT of it lately.
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list