Patching Battery Case Hole ?

Started by Mac, June 28, 2007, 07:03:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mac

I managed to put a hole in the bottom edge of a battery (black case). :oops:
Nobody better ask how.  :evil:

The battery has good life left; I have PC-7; I have JB Weld; I have ordinary 2 part epoxy and I have some acid leftover from a couple of motorcycle battery "kits".

Has anybody had any success with this repair?
Who\'s yer Data?

donsrods

Someone may come up with a good fix for you, but I think I would bite the bullet and buy a new battery.  Your fix might hold for a  while, but then fail and put that nasty acid in places you don't want  it.

Seems like every time I try some repair like this, it backfires and ends up costing me more .

You might call one of the local battery rebuilders (most communities have guys who build batteries for a variety of uses, forklifts, etc.  They would know for sure.

Don

Mac

Yeah, I too can forsee a leaky repair being my 2nd bonehead move - the 1st being holing the battery to begin with.

I'll prollaby try the fix and use the bat in my boy's `74 Charger basket case which is months (minimum) from the road.
Who\'s yer Data?

phat rat

Well you said don't ask how so I won't. But did the fan survive? :wink:
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

donsrods

Quote from: "phat rat"Well you said don't ask how so I won't. But did the fan survive? :wink:

Runaway electric drill maybe???????   :shock:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Don

UGLY OLDS

Gee....a "battery drain plug"...Soooo much easier to do the 3000 mile acid & filter change...Sounds like something Dave would think up...  :?:  :?:   :idea:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Mac

OK, OK

Looks like the best I'll get (or deserve) from this thread is humor.

No, no drills were involved and there's no fan, at least in the conventional sense.

The recipe calls for a VW Karmann Ghia (battery in the engine bay)
a short angle iron battery "corral" instead of proper hold down and a washboard dirt road.
The "angel on my sholder" part of it is that the washboard road is where I call home and the cell was still draining and making itself obvious when I parked.
Man, eloctrolyte steaming off a hot muffler kinda gags ya.  :cry:
Who\'s yer Data?

Dave

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"Gee....a "battery drain plug"...Soooo much easier to do the 3000 mile acid & filter change...Sounds like something Dave would think up...  :?:  :?:   :idea:

I havent done anything that stupid in over a week...
Dave :lol:

slocrow

Quote from: "jusjunk"I havent done anything that stupid in over a week...
It must be that Jackson water................. :lol:
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

donsrods

Yeah, we NEVER do anything dumb like that.  :wink:   Well, not since the time I threw a few bags of sand in the trunk of my '53 Studebaker for traction in the wintertime.  There was ONE SCREW missing from the fuel sender, and the bags ruptured, so over time sand trickled down and into the tank.

When the car finally quit running, not only was the tank and all lines filled with sand, but when I pulled the top off the carb, it looked like a beach inside there.  :oops:  :oops:

No, we never do anything dumb.   :lol:

Don

UGLY OLDS

With the price of batteries & the possible "carnage" that can result  from a failed fix, perhaps it's best to say "oops" & replace it.... :(    ( And warn your son to never--ever mount a battery like that again  :!:  :!:  :lol:  :lol:  )
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Mac

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"With the price of batteries & the possible "carnage" that can result  from a failed fix, perhaps it's best to say "oops" & replace it.... :(    ( And warn your son to never--ever mount a battery like that again  :!:  :!:  :lol:  :lol:  )

Uuhh....yeah, "my son". I'm goin with that.  :wink:
Who\'s yer Data?

Jbird

If that Ghia battery "box" is like most I've seen. A little more acid isn't gonna hurt much. :)  :)  If only one cell is holed, let the juice run out and pretty soon you'll have a ten volt. :-o  :-o   I'm just full of bright ideas.  I was following a Baja bug down the freeway a few? years ago and watched his battery fall through the floor pan, before I could get him stopped the pavement worn off one corner of the battery. I'm glad I was in front of him when the acid hit the road.I gave him a fence board I had in the back of my truck. We lifted the battery back into the car wedged the board under it and away he went.  Jbird 8)
A biblical plague would come in real handy just about now
Badges? Badges? We don\'t need no stinking Badges!!
Team Smarts official dumbfounder
The first liar ain\'t got a chance

Dave

Quote from: "slocrow"
Quote from: "jusjunk"I havent done anything that stupid in over a week...
It must be that Jackson water................. :lol:

Next time i see you im taking your camera  :wink: If you guys look in the other post at the pic just read my lips if you look close im sayin HOLE..
Dave :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I cant believe i didnt let sue drive back to the motel ??? what a dumb azzzzzzzz

Rayvyn

Quote from: "jusjunk"
If you guys look in the other post at the pic just read my lips if you look close im sayin HOLE..

Nah. I was looking at the picture and thinking HOLE... :wink:  :lol:  :lol: :lol:

Gotta run...
***SFC-Team Smart***

What can a bird do that a man can\'t?

Whistle through his pecker...