Door handle tricks

Started by phat46, June 24, 2007, 05:26:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phat46

Anyone have any tricks for removing the exterior door handle from a 40-46 Ford pickup? I know that you have to take out the exterior screws and then hold the interior handle  all the way "open" and rotate the exterior hadle and it will come out. I have one that refuses to come out this way. At some point someone broke off the exterior handle and left just the square shaft sticking out of the door. I have tried and tried to get the shaft out and it won't budge; it does turn some and slides in and out a little but won't pull out! Hope fully someone has had this same problem and knows how to get it out. The glass is still in the door so i can't see what's going on in there either..... :?

enjenjo

Mine had a setscrew you accessed through a hole in the back of the door that held the shaft in place.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

phat46

Quote from: "enjenjo"Mine had a setscrew you accessed through a hole in the back of the door that held the shaft in place.

No setscrews on these. I have a total of six doors for my truck and the one that was in the best shape rust wise had the handle missing. I took a couple of the other handles off the extra doors using the method I described before. The handle shaft has  the "corners" cut off the shaft near the end. When you lift the interior handle it slides the flat bar that operates the latch to a point that has a wider opening in it that then lines up with the exterior handle shaft so it can be turned to the cut corner position and slide out.....clear as mud huh?  'cept my exterior handle won't turn at all...  :lol: