Leaf Spring Info??

Started by Jokester, June 19, 2007, 09:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jokester

Does anyone know of a website that has leaf spring specs?  I'd like to find something less mushy for my 33 Chevy sedan.  The ones on the car look new, but they sit too low for my tastes and I don't like carrying so much air in the shocks just to hold the car up.  Also, I had to put on some traction bars to keep the pinion from climbing up whenever I accelerate.

They are 1 3/4" wide and about 54" long center to center.

Any suggestions?

thx,

.bjb
To the world you\'re just one person; but to one person, you might be the world.

GPster

I'm going to watch for replies but I'd have to say I'd try yours by re-contouring the main leaf and building the spring pack with maybe an extra leaf and contouring the leaf pack to match the main leaf. Back in the old days when you had the main leaf where it should be you would set the next leaf in the pack against it and the ends of that leaf would touch the main leaf but where the spring center bolt would go there would be a space (1/2" or so) between the leaves because the arc of the next leaf would be sharper than the main leaf arc. The same thing for the third leaf to the second and the fourth to the third and so on. That way not sound very educated but that's what we did.  While you've got the spring apart, there was a real go entry to last month's tech suggestions on how to massage the ends of the leaves to slide properly against one another. Hollender Books used to list springs by length from end-to-center bolt and center bolt-to-end but you'd have to find a book that covered the year you're dealing with and I think the arc and weight carrying ability of the springs you find and the arc is going to be some what questionable. Posies and Spicer (?) probably have that kind of information but they are in the business of building springs that go the opposite way of what you want. The reason I'm going to watch the replies is to see where I might find a spring that is shorter than an S10 (S15) spring and has the center bolt distance 4" less from the front than stock. One can always hope for an easy cure. GPster

dragrcr50

here we buy chassis engineering kits for given cars, or in your cas i would determin how much higher you want it and take them off and have them rearched as stated above. any spring shop can do that for you for about a hundred bucks.. add a couple of inches to the arch and it will add at least that much to you ride height..........
ownerWoodard racing and hot rod shop in mustang oklahoma. My  specialty is gassers &  nostalgia race cars , love the salt,