Early Ford Wire Wheels

Started by UGLY OLDS, June 19, 2007, 09:46:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UGLY OLDS

I could not locate the post, but awhile back someone was asking about the wheel/drum mis-match on early Ford wire wheels....The Aug '07 Street Rodder has an article on page 236 that explains the mis-match &  shows where to get the adapters to make these wheels fit properly.... 8)
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

donsrods

Thank you.  I am going to be doing this on a project down the road, and knew you needed to do something to make them fit right.  I'll be sure to pick up that magazine.

Don

donsrods

I picked up the magazine you mentioned.  Thank you, it was an excellent article.

For anyone interested, bottom line is that for $ 20 each you can get a wheel adapter to go on later Ford ( '39-48 ) drums, so that earlier Ford wheels (pre-1935) bolt on properly.  They are available from MT Car Products, 530-872-0122.  You might check out their website www.mtcarproducts.com, it has a ton of neat old timey stuff.

Thanks again for telling me about the article, ugly olds.

Don

Charlie Chops 1940

Don,

The link doesn't work.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

donsrods

Thanks Charlie.  Thats's because I'm a computer dummy.  :oops:  :oops:

Try this one:  www.mtcarproducts.com

I had a period at the end of the other one, this should do it.

Don

Uncle Bob

Luck occurs when preparation and opportunity meet.

donsrods

Jeez, and I thought I knew the Speedway catalog like the back of my hand.  :oops:   Missed that one Bob, thanks.     I order something from them once a week it seems.

Don

Harry

Quote from: "donsrods"Jeez, and I thought I knew the Speedway catalog like the back of my hand.  :oops:   Missed that one Bob, thanks.     I order something from them once a week it seems.

Don
You don't need that big thing from Speedway.
I had some made. You need 4" pipe and cut it to .190".
Just over 3/16".
Tack weld them to the back of the wheel.

donsrods

Huh !! Sounds reasonable.  The adapters dont seem to be more than a flat round plate with that raised portion in the center.  I guess you are or have run this setup?

Thanks for the tip.  :)  :)  :)

Don

Harry

Quote from: "donsrods"Huh !! Sounds reasonable.  The adapters dont seem to be more than a flat round plate with that raised portion in the center.  I guess you are or have run this setup?

Thanks for the tip.  :)  :)  :)

Don
Yes, I had '35 Ford wire wheels on my model A.
I was using a '47 Ford truck rear end and '48 Ford front brakes. I had an excellent article on the spacers and followed the instructions. They are quite simple.

Dave

Quote from: "Uncle Bob"Speedy Bill has them too, and your save a whole nickel! :D
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/5846,,_Early-Ford-Wire-Wheel-Support.html?itemNo=91065470

If your a hamb alliance member kickin rods can get you a better deal..  Brant got me some really good deals thru speedway.

Dave

Dingus

I make the wheel suport rings also. I have sold to folks on the HAMB. No complaints. They are $44 including shipping.

J Man

I bought mine from Vern Tardel