58 Ford 9" Brake hubs to 76 Granada hubs

Started by Erick, June 12, 2007, 09:48:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erick

I think this was covered before but I can't find it. I'm putting the rear brake hubs from a 76 Granada onto a 58 Ford 9". The pilot hole on the Granada drum is larger than that on the axle. Is there a good way to set this up to keep the drum centered? I'm not sure if making something for it would be best, or if there are drums that will work.
Thanks, Erick.

enjenjo

There are two ways to do this. The simple way is to get pre 68 drums in the same size as the granada drums, they have the small pilot hole. The second way is to turn a ring to center the drum on the pilot. I usually tack the ring to the axle in two places.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

paul5456

What do you mean by "hubs" as there are no hubs on Ford 8 or 9 inch rears.  Are you trying to put 8 inch Granada brakes on a 9 inch rear?  I didn't know this is possible.  There may have been a 9 inch Granada rear, but they must be pretty rare.

Quote from: "Erick"I think this was covered before but I can't find it. I'm putting the rear brake hubs from a 76 Granada onto a 58 Ford 9". The pilot hole on the Granada drum is larger than that on the axle. Is there a good way to set this up to keep the drum centered? I'm not sure if making something for it would be best, or if there are drums that will work.
Thanks, Erick.

enjenjo

Quote from: "paul5456"What do you mean by "hubs" as there are no hubs on Ford 8 or 9 inch rears.  Are you trying to put 8 inch Granada brakes on a 9 inch rear?  I didn't know this is possible.  There may have been a 9 inch Granada rear, but they must be pretty rare.

Quote from: "Erick"I think this was covered before but I can't find it. I'm putting the rear brake hubs from a 76 Granada onto a 58 Ford 9". The pilot hole on the Granada drum is larger than that on the axle. Is there a good way to set this up to keep the drum centered? I'm not sure if making something for it would be best, or if there are drums that will work.
Thanks, Erick.

8" brakes will fit small bearing 9" housings. What he is calling a "hub" is the axle pilot, the size was changed from roughly 2.5" to 2.875" in 69
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Erick