Look what I found...

Started by Motoraver, June 12, 2007, 08:18:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Motoraver

Here I am again guys!  
 :D  
I know I didn't write anything the last weeks but I wrote my final exams and stuff like that and hadn't a lot of time. The last days, I visited my brother in Stuttgart. One evening, it was already dark, we walked around the area he lives in (ca. 500m from the Porsche factory :D  ). So we passed a house of an older man who owns a eighties Chevrolet Caprice Sedan since new. When we passed by his house I looked up his driveway and saw a little bit of chrome shining out of the dark. Didn't know that moment what car it could be but thought that it should be a american car from the fifties. The situation reminded me of John Carpenter's movie "Christine".  I think you'll understand me, when you look at the photos.
:wink:  

Next day, I went to the house again to see what car it is and to take some photos.  
So here they are...  

didn't expect a car like that standing in a backyard for years in a large german city without being removed or bought by a collector... The next time I come to Stuttgart, I will try to contact the owner. The car seems to be in a solid condition though it is standing for years in that garden without protection.  

I also visited the brand new Mercedes Benz Museum...so if you want to see some photos: say somethin' !!!  :wink:  

Excuse my bad english...didn't write too much in english the last weeks. :roll:

58 Yeoman

WOW!  A '58 Caddy.  That's a good find, even in the States.  Looks like an American plate on it?
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Rayvyn

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"WOW!  A '58 Caddy.  That's a good find, even in the States.  Looks like an American plate on it?

Wasn't Elvis in Germany up until 1960? He was stationed at Weisbaden but that's not too far from Stuttgart, and he had an addiction to Caddy's. Could be on to something here... :idea:  :wink:
***SFC-Team Smart***

What can a bird do that a man can\'t?

Whistle through his pecker...

Rayvyn

Hey Motoraver, you headed back down there the first of October? From what I remember there's quite a party there that time of year. Sober up by jumping in the mineral springs... :shock:  :D
***SFC-Team Smart***

Motoraver

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"WOW!  A '58 Caddy.  That's a good find, even in the States.  Looks like an American plate on it?

I think that it isn't a real american plate...you can buy these plates on bigger meetings with various motives. They are used for show only. I think it's the same with this plate. I will show the pictures to my friend. He owns a 58 caddy like that but in original condition and a 55 Oldsmobile Rocket 88.

@Rayvyn: Don't know what you mean with the first of october. The only thing I know would be the "Oktoberfest" in Munich.

Rayvyn

Quote from: "Motoraver"

@Rayvyn: Don't know what you mean with the first of october. The only thing I know would be the "Oktoberfest" in Munich.

There's a big wine festival in Stuttgart in September, and a beer festival that runs for about 10 days starting the first week of October.
***SFC-Team Smart***

msuguydon

I hope you can purchase the car, we need more 58 owners on this board.

Good Luck
Would plastic be okay for you today?

Proud Member of Team Smart

Motoraver

I hope so ,too...but I don't think that he will sell the car. I think it's the same old story, which everyone of you knows. "I will fix it some day..." But maybe I have luck. But then I have to sell my daily driver. Don't have a classic at the moment. Only a Mazda MX5 (Miata in the US) but it's pretty cool in british racing green.

@rayvyn: Oh, wine festival..didn't hear anything about it but it's typical for the region. Why the hell do you know that?? :wink:

Mikej

Quote from: "Rayvyn"

Wasn't Elvis in Germany up until 1960? He was stationed at Weisbaden but that's not too far from Stuttgart, and he had an addiction to Caddy's. Could be on to something here... :idea:  :wink:

He was in Butzbach.

Motoraver

I think Elvis was in Friedberg where the "Ray Barracks" are. I passed them by when I drove home from Stuttgart.

Mikej

Could be wrong. I was in Kirch Goens, which was about 5 miles from Butzbach and 20 miles from Friedburg.

Dave

Quote from: "Mikej"Could be wrong. I was in Kirch Goens, which was about 5 miles from Butzbach and 20 miles from Friedburg.

Make up your mind.. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  i think thats pretty cool finding a 58 caddy over there..
I wonder who the first owner was like maybe royalty or sumpin. Im thinking the guy that has it now didnt buy it new?
Dave

Motoraver

don't know if he bought it new or nearly new!? He owns an eighties Chevy Caprice...maybe he drove the Caddy befor the chevy and didn't want to sell it!? I will try to find out.

58 Yeoman

Quote from: "Motoraver"don't know if he bought it new or nearly new!? He owns an eighties Chevy Caprice...maybe he drove the Caddy befor the chevy and didn't want to sell it!? I will try to find out.

A lot of farmers used to do that in my area.  When they bought a new car, the old one would be put out to pasture, and sit there with the windows shot out, etc.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Motoraver

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"
Quote from: "Motoraver"don't know if he bought it new or nearly new!? He owns an eighties Chevy Caprice...maybe he drove the Caddy befor the chevy and didn't want to sell it!? I will try to find out.

A lot of farmers used to do that in my area.  When they bought a new car, the old one would be put out to pasture, and sit there with the windows shot out, etc.

luckily,no stupid boy broke the windows or something, 'n' everything is still in its place. I wonder how the car survived such a long time in the garden without bigger damages or signs of heavy rust.