60's Ford pickup steering

Started by zzebby, June 07, 2007, 10:59:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zzebby

Considering a 64 Ford pickup for a daily, small block and auto trans,  but concerned with switching over to power steering.  Don't want to do the ram thing, as was stock back then,  but will a conventional power box from a newer one bolt up?  Lot's of mid 70's trucks in the junkyards to pick from,  will look for disc brakes too.
I'll pass on this if the steering is a major project.

Okiedokie

Take look at www.ford-trucks.com and go to 48 -60 forum. A search will most likely give you answer.

enjenjo

In a Word, no. but there are a couple ways to do it. you can use a 80 to 87 Toyota power steering box from a straight axle 4x4, the closest thing to a bolt in there is. You can also use an 805 GM box turned on it's side, and mounted outside the frame near the front crossmember. You can find the 90 degree bracket, and pitman arm on late 60s International 1/2 ton trucks. you can also use a 70s Ford 4x4 steering box, mounted inside the frame, but you are on your own on brackets.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

zzebby

Thanks guys,  I'll pass on this one......too many projects already.

GPster

Quote from: "zzebby"Considering a 64 Ford pickup for a daily,
I always liked these trucks but they killed them for me when the put the"Twin-I-Beam" suspension under them. The front end always reminded me of the back end of an early VolksWagon or Corvair with the pronounced display of camber. As a matter of fact I drove past one yesterday and turned around to go back and look. The drive back had me building it (which is a bad thing when I'm driving). I could shorten the frame and put a short step-side bed on it, if it's 3/4 ton I could change it to 1/2 ton and maybe a car rear end for better gears and an early Econoline front axel for matching wheel lug patterns. If it ran I could deal with what-ever engine for a while but where would I find an automatic transmission for a 292/312? The answer to all of this came quickly when inspection made it look like if you opened the drivers door the side of the cab would drop 2" and all the plastic in the cab corner would fall out. Of course people in Arizona don't look for these faults. GPster

zzebby

Well.........long story short,  ended up buying the 62 Ford pickup.  Short box step side.  Needed a daily to be able to haul lumber, blocks, junk etc for a home renovation.  Only had it a week and am kicking myself.  302 runs good and trans probably ok as it tried to run me over.  Seems the floor shifter is hooked up backwards so that park is 1st  .....and you know the story.  Also has no brakes and what is there is really scarey.   Steel line strung from frame rail to frame rail under the trans and then to the flex line with no mounting to the frame.   Six inch lift kit meant that the flex lines wouldn't reach so the former owner just moved them down to hang in air.  Cheap lift kit for sale !!!!!!!!!
Body is nice rust free southwest tin,  lotta bright yellow paint (daughters say  bling  bling )  and as usual interior is a mess.
Anyway I'm posting for advice on wheels.   Would like to go with 15 inch steel wheels, paint them the body color with beauty rings.   I'm not keen on the originals as they have no or little offset and look like they are set too far back in the truck.  I just want to run a 235 X 75 X 15 tire and so I don't want monsters.    Is there a later model Ford truck rim that has some offset and maybe an 8 inch rim???  Did Ford truck ever have a factory stylish steel wheel like the Chevy ralleys ?
thanks

Also, I did get a Toyota steering box, pump and lines but not even close to that yet.  Need some brakes just to move it around.

enjenjo

70s and later F150 had a big choice of styled wheels to choose from, also Dodge truck rims will fit.

wvcab

zzebby

Decided to replace the  9 in rear in the old truck rather than redo the brakes and bearings,  was narrow shoes anyway.
Went to an old junkyard out in the desert ( you can imaging what that is like in July).  Qwner said $150 but I had to pull it myself. Had about 6 or 7   seventies ford pickups to pick from so chose one that was rust free so I wouldn't have to struggle with the bolts.  Shoes and drums looked like new.  Didn't meet any scorpions or snakes but cursed an anthill.
Anyway when I got  it home and was cleaning it up I noticed that both drums turned the same way ???????  And if I jammed one then I couldn't turn the other.  I have some form of positraction.  Tag says:
         WFE-AB      7DA
         3L25   9       388D
Anyone with a decoding book ?
Did I get lucky ?
Should I buy a lottery ticket ?

enjenjo

3.25 posi. You got lucky. Don't have a big N on the front of the carrier does it?

There are a bunch of codes here  http://enjenjo.com/9inch.html

zzebby

No it is not a nodular,  no N.
But not so lucky after all.  I had assumed that it was the same width as the 62,  but no,  2 inches per side would probably be OK and fill the fender better,    but the killer is that the spring pads are too far apart.  I wanted to bolt it in tonight  but now a dilemma.  Cut off the pads and weld new ones on closer together    or keep the 62 housing and put the big brakes on it and the posi center???  I need to see if the shock mounts moved out also ??   Or there could be a problem in that I need to use the late axles with the big brakes,  but they will be too long.    WAIT  the posi center is probably 31 spline and the old short axles will be 28........so that won't work.
Choice is cut off the pads and weld on new ones closer   or go back next weekend for a 68  to 72 truck rear  which could have 28 or 31 spline axles.
Advice ??

enjenjo

Pop out an axle on the late rear and count splines. Most of them were 28 splines, unless they were F150.

zzebby

Oh yes it was out of an F150,  I don't know the exact year,  but about a 77.
I spent some time with a tape measure and the wheels I'm using and if the wheel moves out 2 inches then it will look goofy.  Right now with the old rear it is about right, the tire is in the fender about 3/4 inch.  I think I'll throw this new late rear in the corner or save it for a future project or ????  Now I'm trying to decide to fix the existing 62 rear (wheel bearings and all brake parts)  or spend another $150  and go back in a few weeks for a 68 to 72 rear just for the 2 1/4 inch brakes.  If it worked out to be a 31 spline then I could switch the posi over then.
Truck is a 62 short box stepside, decent western body but really screwed up mechanicals from the lift kit.  Wiring is  a mess also.  68 vintage 302 and C4 runs good and motor install is not too cobbled,  just messy exhaust.
I could be talked into sending it down the road now,   don't need another project????????????

GPster

If you aren't bothered by a difference in spare tires and rims for front and back look at GEO and Suzuki  truoper/tracker wheels are negative offset and appear to be the same bolt pattern. You can probably gain some more room by using them on the rear. The way my projects are headed (older smaller) I'd rather save a narrower rear end that needs fixed for future projects. I'll trade you a '65 Mustang 8" for it. GPster

zzebby

Thanks for the offer GPster  but  I'll keep the posi for another project.  Right now I think I finish this project with a for sale sign.  I've got $1600  in it,  anyone interested?