60's Ford pickup steering

Started by zzebby, June 07, 2007, 10:59:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPster

My "erecter set" brain won't let go of this problem and an answer to this might possibly be added to the PAGES of Jeepster problems. Can you front steer a straight axel. I'm not talking about the tie rod being in front of the axel, just the drag link (?). If you had a front steer steering box (605, 800, etc.) with the pittman arm facing to the rear could it be used with a foreward facing extra steering arm on the passenger side spindle to effect power steering? They bolt an extra arm on spindles to allow for "drag link" steering when the drag link is in-line with the frame and not accross to the frame to the passenger spindle, couldn't this same motion be accomplished in a different direction? On the original question not only would there be a concern with trying to come up with a steering box to work a pittman arm in the standard drag link direction but probably size, PS hose routing, exhaust, firewall clearence,etc. A lot of trucks have room in front of the front axel and if this idea would work it might be easier to find room for a steering shaft to go to a front mounted box and maybe there would be less concern for "bump steer" because the new style of drag link would be longer. GPster

Dave

Hi Zzebby, long time no hear! Do what we do down under, find an old XJ6 or XJ12 Jaguar from 1970 - 1985 (though after 75 they have better brakes) at a local scrap yard or dismantler, unbolt the entire front end out of it including power rack and nice discs (ventilated with 4 spots on post 75) and then drop the entire front end out of the pickup and bolt in the jag with some simple fabricated mounts. Depending on clearance you may have to fabricate upper shock mounts (most here use VW shocks)

You then just have to adapt your steering column or grab the Jag one as well. Nice ride, nice handling, nice brakes and nice steering for probably less work. You won't believe how ell they drive! The only disadvantage is that you end up with 5 x 4 3/4" (Chev) wheel stud pattern, but with 1/2" studs. Later XJ40 etc. Jags are no good as the front end doesn't just drop out with a few bolts like the early ones.

zzebby

Ok I'm kicking myself for buying this thing so am trying to get it semi roadworthy to sell it.  Need to hook up the mustang floor shifter to the C4,  but can't figure out how to remove the shft arm to mod it for it to point up.   Plus most of the arm is gone.  It is just a round shaft with a detent groove on each side.  I hope it does not release from inside ??

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "zzebby"Ok I'm kicking myself for buying this thing so am trying to get it semi roadworthy to sell it.  Need to hook up the mustang floor shifter to the C4,  but can't figure out how to remove the shft arm to mod it for it to point up.   Plus most of the arm is gone.  It is just a round shaft with a detent groove on each side.  I hope it does not release from inside ??

C-4 shifter shaft is bolted inside to the rooster comb that moves the manual valve inside the valve body.

Drop the pan.

unbolt the v-body.

unbolt the shifter shaft

most after market shifters for the C-4 & C-6 use a bolt on lever to the round area you describe.

The groove you describe is there for the OEM nuetral safety switch

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)