Its That Time Of Year Again - LA Bound

Started by Grandadeo, June 05, 2007, 11:21:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grandadeo

I'll be getting on the silver bird Thursday morning for the annual trek to LA.  Due to the ol' Nuke Plant unretiring me for a few months I won't be driving the '32 as planned, only have 11 days off for good behavior.  Bunking with my good buddy Normspeed in Glendora as usual. (Thanks Norm) Thursday night we'll be at the Covina Grand Ave cruise.  Friday will be Toluca Lake Bob's Big Boy then sleep fast for the Donut Derelicts and maybe the Bacon Bums down in Huntington Beach Saturday morning.  Some of the FLA Roadsters should hit town Friday afternoon so we'll hook up and burn up the old Cali asphalt together.  Last year on Saturday we did the Laverne Day carshow and the Montclare cruise night, maybe do them again unless something else comes up.  Sunday is the Road King's Picnic in Burbank.  During the week will be the usual rod shops, museums, cruise nights and something I have up my sleeve that might work out - more to come on that maybe with pictures.  Friday afternoon/evening will be SoCal with maybe a run back to Bob's BB.  And of course it will wrap up with two days of the Roadster show before heading home on Monday the 18th.  Wish I'd have my roadster there but cruising in Normspeed's lowered, twin carbed, '53 Mopar Wagon will be just as KOOL.  Hope to hook up with Don Jr, Bob, B-O-B, Elmo Rodge and any of you other folks that make it out or are local.  Any activity suggestions from the locals will be great too.  Last year Don Jr tipped us off to the Friday night Drive-in movie and the High Desert Roadster's Run on Saturday.  It will be a blast but will miss our old pal Don Sr.  I'll be checking in and hopefully posting some pictures along the way.

Happy Motoring

Lee
Salt Is Good... Mk 9:50

kb426

TEAM SMART

48ford

Did I miss something?
What is going on in L.A, the weekend of the 16th-17th?
We will be there from the 16th till 23rd.
Russ

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Grandadeo

Quote from: "48ford"Did I miss something?
What is going on in L.A, the weekend of the 16th-17th?
We will be there from the 16th till 23rd.
Russ

Russ, the 43rd (I think) Annual LA Roadster's Show and Swap Meet is that weekend at the LA County Fairplex, in Pomona just off the 10 Freeway.  If you're anywhere close I wouldn't pass up a chance to go.  Heck I've treked or flown 2500+ miles each way for the past 15 years now.  Hope to see you there.  When your in the Roadster parking area look for some '32s and a drop dead Beautiful '36 Phaeton with Florida Plates, that will be us.

Goodfoot

Richard from Ormand and meself are takin' the Silverbird out of Tampa next Thursday for the long weekend for the 4th year in a row. Maybe when I retire I'll have the time to drive the roadster out, that is, if I hit the Lotto to cover the gas at 8mpg.

Goodfoot

Richard from Ormand and meself are takin' the Silverbird out of Tampa next Thursday for the long weekend for the 4th year in a row. Maybe when I retire I'll have the time to drive the roadster out, that is, if I hit the Lotto to cover the gas at 8mpg.

48ford

Lucky me,Lucky me.
I had not planed this at all,but I will be there on sunday!
First timer
Russ

DRD57

No drive-in movie this year but the High Desert Roadsters gig is this Saturday. Dunno if I'll make that one or not.

I'll stop by the Beach Side (Covina Beach? WTH?) next Thursday. I'm going to skip tonight and maybe put the engine in the Caddy.

When/where are these cruises in Clairmont or Montclair?

Give me a call on the shoe phone if you want to stop by one evening. I'm about 10 miles east of Norm. 909-214-2412.

kb426

Give me a call on the shoe phone if you want to stop by one evening'
You are speaking to agent Maxwell Smart , aren't you? :lol:
TEAM SMART

Grandadeo

Quote from: "DRD57"
I'll stop by the Beach Side (Covina Beach? WTH?) next Thursday. I'm going to skip tonight and maybe put the engine in the Caddy.

When/where are these cruises in Clairmont or Montclair?

Give me a call on the shoe phone if you want to stop by one evening. I'm about 10 miles east of Norm. 909-214-2412.

Got in this aftrnoon, First Stop was to see Bill and Mike at the Early Ford Store in San Dimas and check on parts for one of the Florida '32s in route.  We dropped off my stuff at Normspeed's and rapped the flathead six's pipes over to the Beachside Grand Ave Cruise.  Pretty good turn out and as far as the weather - just another hum-drum SoCal night.  

Don - the info I have for Claremont is 2nd Saturday night 5:30 - 8:30 PM around the Village Grille at Yale & 2nd.  So that would be this weekend.  We went there last year, its in the downtown area with parking along the streets there.  Good turn out last year.  Still looking for something for during the day on Saturday.  The Laverne Show is $25 per car so I'll look for some other options.  Thanks for the invite.  Would 3 or 4 rods pulling up in front of the house be pushing our luck?  We'll be at the Road Kings on Sunday.  If we don't run into you over the weekend I'll give you a call Monday to check your schedule.

Russ will be on the lookout for you on Father'sDay.  I've got gray hair and a beard and will be wearing a hot rod T-shirt.  I should be easy to spot.

Lee

48ford

Lee,
I will get to L.A. on saturday afternoon,
We will get out to the show on sunday.
Look for me,I'm the fat guy with shorts,straw hat and hot rod shirt,walking with the old woman.
You should be able to spot us.
Russ

DRD57

3 or 4 cars will fit in the driveway, the rest can park in the street :D

I might check out that Claremont cruise. That's pretty close to home and I haven't been to that one yet. I usually hit shows like the LaVerne gig as a spectator. I don't have a problem paying to go to big events but $25 to park on a public street while the general public enjoys the show for free seems backwards to me.

DRD57

Quote from: "48ford"
Look for me,I'm the fat guy with shorts,straw hat and hot rod shirt,walking with the old woman.
Russ

That description narrows the search down to about half of the people there. The other half will have tatoos and body piercing :D

phat rat

Quote from: "48ford"Lee,
I will get to L.A. on saturday afternoon,
We will get out to the show on sunday.
Russ

Yep you'll be easy to spot if SWMBO reads this.  :shock:  You'll be the bloody one :lol:
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.