A little surgery on the sbc

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, June 03, 2007, 08:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

I've had a oil leak at the rear side of the sbc chevy 355 engine intake mannny fold on my Dodge Lancer for 5-6 yrs.

I took the manny fold off today to fix that problem.

the problem was caused when I allowed the silicone to get a bit too set-up before I installed the intake .  I have not used the rubber end gaskets for decades , always use silicone.

wish me luck.

:T)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

tomslik

ultrablack is all i ever use.....
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

junkyardjeff

A what in a dodge lancer?,seeing that blasphemy I put a curse on everyone that has a sbc where it does not belong and you better just pull them as they aint going to run anymore.  If you want the curse removed there better be a all steel 32 roadster or 3 window in my driveway in the morning when I wake up,a 40 coupe will work too.   Jeff

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "junkyardjeff"A what in a dodge lancer?,seeing that blasphemy I put a curse on everyone that has a sbc where it does not belong and you better just pull them as they aint going to run anymore.  If you want the curse removed there better be a all steel 32 roadster or 3 window in my driveway in the morning when I wake up,a 40 coupe will work too.   Jeff

you need to wish in one hand and **** in the other.  See which hand fills up first.

8)
Tony

enjenjo

QuoteI put a curse on everyone that has a sbc where it does not belong

There is someplace where a SBC doesn't belong? I've yet to see one.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

junkyardjeff

I have not gotten around to put a curse on all the big blocks but it might happen in the morning,the only place around here for a sbc is the scrap pile.  Jeff

enjenjo

Quote from: "junkyardjeff"I have not gotten around to put a curse on all the big blocks but it might happen in the morning,the only place around here for a sbc is the scrap pile.  Jeff

I have a big block in my Rambler :roll:
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

reinstalled the intake tonight....... used the ol common clear silicone stuff on the ends.

will finish it up tomorrow night.
Tony

C9

I understand a lot of guys running SBC use RTV on the ends.

Are the stock rubber end pieces flat and they slide out under pressure?

I've been doing well with the 455 Buicks end pieces.
They have a tab at one end with a hole that fits over the intake manifold locating pin.
At the other end there's a rubber pin cast into the gasket that fits into a matching hole drilled into the block valley gasket flange - all part of the block casting.
Along with both of those locating devices is the main run of flat rubber gasket is molded in a channel shape and the side pieces overhang the gasket flange.

I was installing these with Gorilla Snot - not Gorilla glue - Gorilla Snot is also known as Yellow Death in the good ol daze of dirt bike running before LocTite came on the scene.
Real name of the stuff is 3M Weather Strip Cement.

The last couple of times I had the intake off I put the end pieces on dry except for a little RTV in the corners.
The gasket flange was cleaned with lacquer thinner and allowed to dry.
That's about it.
No problems so far.

The Buick intake manifold rubber end pieces always struck me as a well done deal.

Not sayin' the big ol Buick is better than the SBC, it has it's flaws, mainly in the somewhat weak rocker shafts and some of the rocker styles.
Lightweight, front distributor, starter on the right, 510# torque stock, comes with a T-400 attached and most of em say Buick right on the rocker covers.

Surprising though, you can see "Buick" on the rocker covers through the hood louvers and I hear a lot of guys call it a Hemi when they're explaining all this complex hot rod stuff to their girl friends.

I guess I'm lucky, Buick Hemi's are pretty rare.... :lol:
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

C9

Quote from: "Crosley"I've had a oil leak at the rear side of the sbc chevy 355 engine intake mannny fold on my Dodge Lancer for 5-6 yrs.

I took the manny fold off today to fix that problem.

the problem was caused when I allowed the silicone to get a bit too set-up before I installed the intake .  I have not used the rubber end gaskets for decades , always use silicone.

wish me luck.

:T)

About that SBC thing, why don't you tell folks the engine is a double angle slant four?   :lol:
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "enjenjo"

I second that :!:

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

Dave

Quote from: "EMSjunkie"
Quote from: "enjenjo"

I second that :!:

Vance

Hey this is gettin fun like the HAMB  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  
Im thinnin every engine bay is where a sb chevy should reside unless you gots money for a hemi.. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Tony .. Believe it or not im kinda different :?:  :?:  :?: I use the rubber end gaskets and sillycorn and ive never had a leak..
LOVE
Dave

junkyardjeff

It looks like my curse did not work since there was nothing in the driveway this morning,it looks like I have to buy one the hard way with money.  I was thinking about using silicone on the ends of my next intake change and just how long does it have to set up before the intake is sat back on.  Jeff

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "jusjunk"

Tony .. Believe it or not im kinda different :?:  :?:  :?:    
LOVE
Dave

KINDA different.............buddy you are the epotime of "different" :lol:

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "EMSjunkie"
Quote from: "jusjunk"

Tony .. Believe it or not im kinda different :?:  :?:  :?:    
LOVE
Dave

KINDA different.............buddy you are the epotime of "different" :lol:

Vance

:ha)  :ha)  :ha)  :ha)  :ha)  :ha)  :ha)  :ha)  :ha)  :ha)  :ha)  :ha)  :ha)

Oh...By the way ..I used a GM " Corporate" engine in my Olds...Does that count  :?:  :?:  :?:  :shock:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****