Brought up before but hot rolled steel and the scale on it

Started by Dave, May 19, 2007, 12:05:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Easy way to remove it? Its even a * to sand but ive got one side of the frame done and im going to do the other today but the boxing plates are hot rolled and id like to get the scale off around the brackets and crossmembers where i can get the D/A in.  Someone had a wat to do it but i forgot

Dave :wink:

enjenjo

The easiest way is to sandblast it. If you can't do that, try a needle scaler.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Sean

Quote from: "enjenjo"The easiest way is to sandblast it. If you can't do that, try a needle scaler.

Sandblasting is how we do it too, unless its something that needs to look really nice, then we buy cold roll. Flap disc's in a grinder seem to just polish it more than removing it. A hard wheel will take it off, but it screws up the finish doing it.

I have used a needle scaler before, but didn't have much luck. It knocked off all the loose stuff pretty quick, but wouldn't remove all of it. I have heard that if you sharpen the individual needles that it works better, but leaves little pock marks all over the metal.

Dave

Ok thanks kids.. Ill keep on the way i have been.. Grind and sand...

Dave

By the way im just about to start on the left inside frame rail where the hot rolled is ... Im making good progress...

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "jusjunk"By the way im just about to start on the left inside frame rail where the hot rolled is ... Im making good progress...

Sand on....Sand off...Sand on ...Sand Off....Sounds like a line from a movie... :P  :P
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Roadstar

Hot rolled sucks, I use a 50 grit grinding disk, and follow up with a roll loc medium disk.

donsrods

In the past year of building my T I have had to remove tons of mill scale, and the best thing I have found is one of two things, both similar products.  Some people have described them as rice cakes, and they are plastic discs that either have a 1/4 inch mandrel formed in so you can use them in your angle die grinder, or, they come in ones with a 5/8 threaded hole to go on like a 4.5 inch angle grinder.  The second one seems to work the best, and even Home Depot sells them.  I think Norton and 3 M make them.

Takes the mill scale of very easily, and leaves a nicely flattened surface, not all marked up.

Don

Crosley.In.AZ

Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Dave

Quote from: "Roadstar"Hot rolled sucks, I use a 50 grit grinding disk, and follow up with a roll loc medium disk.

Im hitting it with 36 grit then following with 80. Its a * with the 36 but im getting there. I didnt get as much done as i wanted to today . my kid showed up so i quit early. Ill hammer on it again tomorrow.
Crosley.. If I had your money i would consider power coat but i still have a scooter  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "jusjunk"
Crosley.. If I had your money i would consider power coat but i still have a scooter  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Dave, if I had half your money i would retire.

I'm Going to look at another bike sunday morning..... A commuter scoot just under 1,000cc..... and it is cheaply priced too
8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

That scale is real hard to remove, as it is rolled right into the steel, so here is a sure fire way to loosen it up. Finish paint right over it. Within a few days, it will start peeling off in sheets. Then you can sandblast it, and do it right the second time.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Dave

Quote from: "enjenjo"That scale is real hard to remove, as it is rolled right into the steel, so here is a sure fire way to loosen it up. Finish paint right over it. Within a few days, it will start peeling off in sheets. Then you can sandblast it, and do it right the second time.

Thanks Frank your my hero :!:  :!:  Im progressing real good. Im getting the scale off but its gonna be tough around the xmembers and stuff but ill get it.
I may try menards for one of those disks today .
Crosley...... Good deal i know its tough to be without a scooter

UGLY OLDS

Dave...I thought you mentioned in an earlier post you were going to have the frame blasted...The blaster could not remove the scale :?:  :?:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Dave

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"Dave...I thought you mentioned in an earlier post you were going to have the frame blasted...The blaster could not remove the scale :?:  :?:

No I got cheap.. he wanted 275 bucks to blast the frame front axle and rearend. I was thinkin that was plenty high. I may go out in a bit and take a pic of the frame. Its almost done and even if id have had it blasted i had work to do with the grinder so im thinnin its better this way. I wiped some kroil on it cause ill prolly take a break till after memorial weekend and im tired of rust. Its lookin good though.
Dave :arrow:  :wink:  :arrow: