Big block chirping............

Started by slocrow, May 09, 2007, 12:59:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slocrow

I didn't want to jump Don's post and I see that some folks have questions re my chirping noise so.............................

I mentioned the chirp noise around the water pump area  but wasn't too specific. Well here goes as I am concerned.
It's a chirp, chirp, chirp sound while at idle. I'm not really sure but I hope it isn't the pump bushing. It's frequency speeds up with the revs I'm not sure what's happening as I go down the road because of the exhaust note.

Quote from: "C9"
Quote from: "slocrow"but I've got a new chirping I can't figure, coming from mine. Water pump area.......................Frank

Under acceleration or deceleration?
I am looking forward to the dual V-belt setup in my 31 roadster and wish there was enough room to do the same in my 32.
I'm pretty much only aware of it during idling. It's not your normal belt squeal but almost like a rub noise.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from: "sirstude"Frank, What kind of alt/air mounts do you have.  A lot of the high mounts don't get enough wrap on the belt and it squeals on the water pump pulley.  Aggravated with running only an alt with no compressor. Doug
Alan Grove, high mount, alt only though I have a idler belt working in the second groove.......(see pics).

I just don't like the sound for fear it's a water pump bearing going and I'll be roadside on a long trip.
Thanks for any thoughts.........................Frank
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

UGLY OLDS

Take the belts off....One at a time...Run the engine..See if the noise goes away... When both belts are off, check the crank & water pump pullys for cracks abound the bolt holes / mounting area's.....VERY common problem...... :shock:  :shock:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

slocrow

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"Take the belts off....One at a time...Run the engine..See if the noise goes away... When both belts are off, check the crank & water pump pullys for cracks abound the bolt holes / mounting area's.....VERY common problem...... :shock:  :shock:
Thanks for the suggestion. It's certainly a way to go, though in my case the idler belt needs to be removed by removing the pump pulley which calls for the rad removal. Nothings easy...............
I am surprised to hear that it's a VERY common problem. I'm assuming you're referring to the aluminum pulley shown and the one not shown, on the dampener. If it's cracks around bolt holes, what if I just drive it, will it come apart................at speed?
Thanks, Frank

Charlie Chops 1940

Frank,

You only need to get slack in the belts to check whether the pump pulley is terminal.  Probably not even slack given the low wrap.  Just get a good grip...yeah, I know you're loosing your grip anyway. Any seepage out the weep hole yet?

Can you remove the pump with the pulley attached?

I've got pulleys like that older than your worse old socks and have never seen a crack in upper or lower....doesn't mean it doesn't happen though.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

C9

Semi-sorta familiar looking brackets.

I'm guessing the one belt goes around the crank pulley and then the water pump pulley.
It rolls on and does not have a tensioning device?

If the cam you're running is kinda lumpy that could be the cause of the belts  chirping.
Low idle speeds with big cams seem to accelerate then decelerate the engine.
Like the guys say, pull the belts or get them below the crank pulley where they won't drive and see what's up.

Another place to check is if the bellhousing dust cover is dented.
If the flywheel contacts it, it makes a noise, but not a high pitched chirp.
Still though, ya never know.

Before you remove belts etc. you may want to grab the water pump pulley and see how much - if any - play you have.
A little bit isn't too much of a problem, but if it's sloppy the bearing is going.
A lot of times the packing gland is still sealing ok so you can't count on finding a leak or weeping if the bearing is going.

I've had better luck with new pumps than I have with rebuilts.
Just somethin' about that Chinese sea air I guess....
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

Leon

I have two stethescopes, one with the touch probe on it and the other with a hollow tube on the end.  The one with the hollow tube is real good at finding little noises from loud bearings, noisy belts, etc.  I also have the Alan Grove High Mounts and had a funny noise on my 54 and with the stethescope I found it at the back of the alternator.  It's a new Powermaster and they said that's normal, but I'm keeping an eye on it anyway.

Dave

Just drive the thing till it breaks if it does.. You old guys worry about everything..
Dave :lol:  :wink:  :arrow:

slocrow

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"Any seepage out the weep hole yet?
Can you remove the pump with the pulley attached?Charlie
No seepage to be seen. Yes but, PIA.
Quote from: "C9"I'm guessing the one belt goes around the crank pulley and then the water pump pulley. It rolls on and does not have a tensioning device?....
That's correct except I attach the pump pulley after the belt is in place. Pretty snug fit.
Quote from: "C9"If the cam you're running is kinda lumpy that could be the cause of the belts chirping....
That's a thought, though..............
Quote from: "jusjunk"Just drive the thing till it breaks if it does.. You old guys worry about everything..
Dave :lol:  :wink:  :arrow:
Easy flatliner.....don't start picking on older guys. We've made it, so far. :roll:

I took it out for a 100 miles last night and brought it home all warmed up. Not a chirp to be heard as it sat and idled in the drive. Now I'm wondering and will have to do the deeds just after it starts. Maybe tonight. Now where did I out that long screwdriver listening device.................Thanks, Frank