1981 conversion to 1948

Started by alchevy, May 08, 2007, 10:25:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alchevy

I had a wild idea the other day! Ok, let me set the story up for ya:
My first vehicle was a truck, a 1981 Chevy Stepside. Learned how to drive in it, took my driver's test in it, it took me to high school and to college and to my first job. I still have the truck today. It needs attention as it is 26 years old. Last year, I bought an antique tag for it. It was repainted the first time in 1992.
In 1992, the truck was in the body shop; they closed the plant where I worked; then my dog died (sounds like a country song?)(play a country song backwards and you get your dog back, job back, and your truck out of the shop).
Well now the clear coat is almost off of the truck and it needs some tlc. (I've been putting too much tlc in my '40 Chevy and not enough in the truck)
Back to my idea: Would it work to get a 1948 Chevy truck cab and front cap and put it in place of the '81 cab and front cap? Don't know the dimensions of a '48 vs a '81.
What problems would I have in trying to tell folks that it's a '48 on a '81 frame with a '81 bed? Motor just would need a little tlc.

Here's what it looked like after '92:
http://www.astreetrodder.com/1981truck.htm
AL
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com

Carnut

Uh, ah, I'd keep it as an 81.

SKR8PN

Quote from: "Carnut"Uh, ah, I'd keep it as an 81.

Me to..............
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

Crosley.In.AZ

track width is too wide on the 81 to work with the 48 truck... tires would hang out the fenders
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

I've seen a couple done. As stated above the tread width is different by about 9". You can use negative offset wheels to take care of some of that, but not all. I have seen one that used a cab and hood that was widened by several inches, and it looked good, but it was a lot of work.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

48flatbed

I don't know much about the chevy dimensions but I have done this swap with Fords. I used an 81 Ford F150 frame complete and installed a 48 F5 cab and front clip.  The 81 bed was much to wide so I built a flatbed for it.

The step in the late frame might cause some trouble lining up the old cab with the new bed (also solved with the flatbed).

I made no changes to the track width of the late(?) model frame.  I used the standard wheels that came with the truck, and it is all under the fenders. Possibly the F5 is wider than an F1?

Some build pictures and the finished product is on my website www.JDRSVP.com

Hope this helps.

Jon

Dave

Interesting.. had to make a run for some parts today to get a machine bACK UP IN THE PLANT AND (caps lock again) what do i see on the expressway. about a 50 chevy on a newer frame. The wheels stuck out and it sat pretty high but i couldnt tell if it was maybe 4x4 or not. It had the origonal bed but it was moved towards the rear of the frame and a diamond plate aluminum tool box that looked custom made was behind the cab and infront of the bed.. It wasnt the nicest thing id ever seen but far from being the worst too. I think in the right hands it had possibilities..
Dave :arrow:  :wink:  :arrow:

rumrumm

I agree with the majority--keep it as an '81. I have seen some S-10 frame converstions on late 40's Chevy pickups, and none of them look right. Plus, it is a lot of work.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

alchevy

Thanks for the comments. I guess I will just one day build a real '48 Chevy Pickup instead, sounds easier. Since the '81 needs going through and do a frame-off restoration on it, I could use the motor out of it for now and then buy another motor later on when it gets back on the road. Right now, it's a dependable driver.

Over the years of owning it, lots of people have tried to buy it off of me. Then when I wanted to sell it, I could not. So I talked myself out of selling it.

The other day at work, someone asked me if that was my truck and when I said yes, the second question was: "Do ya want to sell it?" I told him that those are the number 1 and number 2 questions out of everyone's mouth!

With the gas prices climbing like they are, makes me want to find a '70s lightweight Chevy Luv Pickup and put a 2.2 ltr 4 cyl engine in it (like what's in my HHR) and drive it everyday to work. When I was coming up and getting close to driving age, I wanted a Chevy Luv Pickup. Then they changed the design up and went away from the original body style and I didn't like the new ones. So I ended up with this '81. In '82 the S-10s came out. But I'm glad I have the '81.
AL
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com

tomslik

uhhh, i've still got a 50 jimmy 5 winder if you're interested;) :roll:
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

alchevy

Quote from: "tomslik"uhhh, i've still got a 50 jimmy 5 winder if you're interested;) :roll:

Yeah, but can't get that one in pre-49 shows.

www.astreetrodder.com

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "40chevy"
Quote from: "tomslik"uhhh, i've still got a 50 jimmy 5 winder if you're interested;) :roll:

you tell a fib and get it as a 48.

my 48 chev truck had later doors
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

river1

Quote from: "Crosley"

in all my life i have only seen truck of that bodystyle from the year 48 :wink:  :wink:  :wink:

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

GPster

Quote from: "river1"in all my life i have only seen truck of that bodystyle from the year 48 :wink:  :wink:  :wink: later jim
Isn't that just like all the '48 Studebakers that mysteriously have the '51 "bullet nose" grafted on them? GPster

tomslik

Quote from: "river1"
Quote from: "Crosley"

in all my life i have only seen truck of that bodystyle from the year 48 :wink:  :wink:  :wink:

later jim

i've seen 47's.
fuel tank is under the cab/bed...
personally, i like the look of a 47-50 door, but as far as function, 51-53's have vent windows....
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list