Leaking axle seal

Started by midnight sun, April 29, 2007, 12:11:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

midnight sun

Ford 8 inch, 28 spline, sealed bearing.  I have driven the car 5000 miles and noticed the other day that the right rear axle seal was leaking.  Replaced seal.  Didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.  Drove it about 50 miles and checked it and it was leaking again.  The only thing I noticed when I removed the axle was that the little spring that is in the inboard side of the seal was laying in the axle housing so I figure I must have dislodged it when I put the axle in. Didn't notice anything else of significance.  There was a very small shiny circle where it looked like the seal had been riding but it wasn't grooved.  I cleaned up everything and replaced the seal again.  I went to a car show today, about 200 miles round trip.  The seal is leaking again.  

Any ideas??
How can there be "self help" groups :?:

GPster

Dave

Quote from: "midnight sun"Ford 8 inch, 28 spline, sealed bearing.  I have driven the car 5000 miles and noticed the other day that the right rear axle seal was leaking.  Replaced seal.  Didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.  Drove it about 50 miles and checked it and it was leaking again.  The only thing I noticed when I removed the axle was that the little spring that is in the inboard side of the seal was laying in the axle housing so I figure I must have dislodged it when I put the axle in. Didn't notice anything else of significance.  There was a very small shiny circle where it looked like the seal had been riding but it wasn't grooved.  I cleaned up everything and replaced the seal again.  I went to a car show today, about 200 miles round trip.  The seal is leaking again.  

Any ideas??

That can happen when you install the axle or remove the axle. Ive had to put a little permates or silicone around the outside of the seal when i installed em also. On my 9 inch i had a hell of a time and the axle housing is bored too deep for the seal. They have to be set in to a measurement or they leak :twisted: On all the 8,s ive done i used sealer and that cure it. The make oring bearings too but i dunno if they have em for the 8,s
Dave

enjenjo

QuoteThey make oring bearings too but i dunno if they have em for the 8,s

Yes they do, It takes the same one as a small 9" bearing.

I just had one with the wrong seal in it, the axles were actually a 9" axle in an 8" housing. The seal needed to have a larger ID.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

1FATGMC

I would check the wheel bearings very carefully.  My seals leaked when the bearings were bad  :cry: .

Did you go to the Moab show??

c ya,

Sum

midnight sun

Quote from: "1FATGMC"I would check the wheel bearings very carefully.  My seals leaked when the bearings were bad  :cry: .

Did you go to the Moab show??

c ya,

Sum

Hi Sum,

Yeah but only as a spectator.  As a matter of fact I drove my A there just to see if the axle seal was okay.  Obviously, it was not.  Guess I'll take another look see.  Someone else todl me the same thing about seating the seal too far in.  I did use some silicone this time too but as I said, still leaking.  Weird that it was fine for 5000 miles and then all of a sudden the problem started.  Oh well, part of having a rod I guess.

midnight sun

Quote from: "enjenjo"

I just had one with the wrong seal in it, the axles were actually a 9" axle in an 8" housing. The seal needed to have a larger ID.

Frank, elaborate a little.  Do you mean it takes the same seal as a 9" rear end axle bearing??..  Someone also told me that they make sleeves that will fit over the part of the axle where the seals rests.  KNow of anything like that??

Thanks

t-vicky

I had a 9" that leaked after putting in new seals and bearings.  Turns out it had little scratches in the bottom of the housing where the bearing sits.

enjenjo

Quote from: "midnight sun"
Quote from: "enjenjo"

Frank, elaborate a little.  Do you mean it takes the same seal as a 9" rear end axle bearing??..  Someone also told me that they make sleeves that will fit over the part of the axle where the seals rests.  KNow of anything like that??

Thanks

8"and 9" both use the same axle bearing. In most cases, they use the same seal, but not all the time. In this case, the axle was larger where the seal rides.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

UGLY OLDS

Did the housing had any welding done to it on the original build?? If so was it straightened?? Had the same problem with the 9" in my kids car...Welded perchs on nice & slow...alternated side to side 1/2 " at a time...Was positive the housing was straight as the axles slid in & out without any effort.....The car ATE axle seals...After the third or fourth set in 20K miles, pulled the housing & had it checked....Almost 1/4" bend to the top...3/16" bend to the front...Would not have believed it if I had not seen it...That was 25K miles ago...No further issues.....
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****