Assembled vehicle titles in michigan..

Started by Dave, April 26, 2007, 02:14:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

With anticipation of aquiring the new motorcycle saturday i did a little on line research on assembled titles for Michigan. Im a little smarter. I see they want numbers for engine and a description of the parts used and where they came from and title numbers of donor cars or motorcycles if you have them. Then with the proper paperwork you get an officer to check the vehicle and fill out his part of the safety check. These parts must be accounted for with an ownership document. engine trans body parts, frame and axles and wheels thats for a car... a bike is engine' frame, front end ,wheels, seat.. Im thinnin they just want to verify these parts are on the vehicle so there is enuff there to title it. Then you submit for a title and wait 6 to 8 weeks till it comes then you can get a plate. you can apply for a temp tag while you wait. they ask for a daytime phone number and they will call you when they have your new vin number and you have to meet them and they apply the sticker with the vin for you after checking the vehiclke again..
Of course bills of sale are needed and sometime someone is gonna wanna know how much it cost to build the vehicle for tax purposes.. Anyway FYI
Dave :arrow:

HotRodLadyCrusr

More importantly they want to make sure NONE of the parts on bike or car are stolen.

Food for thought, a very close buddy build a 1966 Cobra replica and of course was not going to be able to find a "real" title so after he built the car did exactly what you described, and he did have all the receipts.  They issued him the title and of course it says 1995 ford on it because that's when he completed the build.  He didn't like that BUT worse is the State Police made a surprise visit abit later to his home shop and inspected all the used parts and stuff he had laying around.  He had to produce receipts for all this stuff.  Needless to say his was *.  He didn't have any stolen stuff but it was a HUGE pain in the butt.  He'll never do an "assembled title" again thats for sure.
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

WZ JUNK

Two weeks from tomorrow we have a court date to get a court order that will make the state produce us a title on the 32.  The car was finished in October.  That means it has taken 8 months to get the title, if it happens.  Missouri has supposedly adopted the SEMA guidelines for titling new street rods.  I am so glad it is easier now.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

HotRodLadyCrusr

John, will it be titled as a 1932 or a 2007?
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

phat rat

Dave, unless you want to go through h#@l don't do an assembled title. You'll find they also want a reciept for everything on the car as they want to be sure you paid sales tax on it. Can you imagine the looks you'd get at a swap meet asking for a reciept?
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "HotRodLadyCrusr"John, will it be titled as a 1932 or a 2007?

It is to be titled as a 1932 Ford if all goes as planned.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Dave

Quote from: "phat rat"Dave, unless you want to go through h#@l don't do an assembled title. You'll find they also want a reciept for everything on the car as they want to be sure you paid sales tax on it. Can you imagine the looks you'd get at a swap meet asking for a reciept?

Jack this is on the bike. My car is titled. The guy says he has reciepts and certificates of origon for the frame and sales reciepts and serial numbers etc etc..  No id never do it on a car but i think i can get it done on the bike.. I do know a guy that has built like 3 street rods and did assembly titles and had no problem so we will see. I figure im gonna pay tax on the bike.. at least partial tax cause my roadster is worth a good amount of cash. Should be interesting..
Dave

Dave

Quote from: "HotRodLadyCrusr"More importantly they want to make sure NONE of the parts on bike or car are stolen.

Food for thought, a very close buddy build a 1966 Cobra replica and of course was not going to be able to find a "real" title so after he built the car did exactly what you described, and he did have all the receipts.  They issued him the title and of course it says 1995 ford on it because that's when he completed the build.  He didn't like that BUT worse is the State Police made a surprise visit abit later to his home shop and inspected all the used parts and stuff he had laying around.  He had to produce receipts for all this stuff.  Needless to say his was *.  He didn't have any stolen stuff but it was a HUGE pain in the butt.  He'll never do an "assembled title" again thats for sure.

Well denise the only thing i can add here is there are good days and bad days :lol:  Ive never heard of this and im not gonna dwell on it simply cause i dont steal... It dont matter if its a PITA or not if they dont believe me then come and look.. Let us not forget ive been brought back from the dead and its taking a lot lately to make me worry about stuff like that :lol:  I tend to look more to tomorrow and waking up alive than worry about the cops comming and checking me out.  No if you wanna talk money and retirement.. Thats been stressing me out lately simply because now i see where i could have retired by now
Dave :!:

PEACE...........

Gardenia

If you're trading him a titled vehicle, I'd expect the same.Even a Canadian title would be easier than a bunch of Canacian bills-of-sale that you will have no bill with your name on, If you aren't buying (with money) anything the receipts  may not be considered yours. GPster

Dave

Quote from: "Gardenia"If you're trading him a titled vehicle, I'd expect the same.Even a Canadian title would be easier than a bunch of Canacian bills-of-sale that you will have no bill with your name on, If you aren't buying (with money) anything the receipts  may not be considered yours. GPster

Ahh but there a place on the form to list the builder Joe...
Dave

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "Gardenia"If you're trading him a titled vehicle, I'd expect the same.Even a Canadian title would be easier than a bunch of Canacian bills-of-sale that you will have no bill with your name on, If you aren't buying (with money) anything the receipts  may not be considered yours. GPster

Isn't there "duty's" or some kind of  taxes on vehicles coming out of Canada  :?:  :?:  Just another thing to think about.. :roll:  :roll: You can't get a deal together for "Good Ol' Green folders"  :?:  :?:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

UGLY OLDS

Hey...Speaking of tax rip-offs & the crazy way our government works....Ck out this thread a buddy told me about........ :shock:  :shock:
http://www.streetrodding.com/index.cfm/f/forums.getThread/id/25830

( Not that you would ever find ME looking in a place like that.... 8)   )
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Dave

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"

Isn't there "duty's" or some kind of  taxes on vehicles coming out of Canada  :?:  :?:  Just another thing to think about.. :roll:  :roll: You can't get a deal together for "Good Ol' Green folders"  :?:  :?:

No its gonna be a trade deal.. I may have to call the secretary of state tomorrow and ask some questions..
Dave

Rochie

Dave/Ugly Olds,
Thereare no taxes or duties on a car or bike going out of Canada. You have to deal with your Sec. of State or the DMV or whom ever it is that would collect taxes on a sale.
Wayne

Dave

Quote from: "Rochie"Dave/Ugly Olds,
Thereare no taxes or duties on a car or bike going out of Canada. You have to deal with your Sec. of State or the DMV or whom ever it is that would collect taxes on a sale.
Wayne

Well thanks for the info Wayne..Ill call today . I need to do that and aski a couple questions. Like i said im sure ill have to pay something if i do this deal but i surely dont wanna be sitting on a bike that i cant title...
Dave