32 Ford seat

Started by kb426, April 22, 2007, 06:22:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

Does anyone have any suggestions for a seat for the 32 pickup? I need a little support down low in the back. The rest isn't too important. The seats in my Dakota need 30" to fit good. I'm not sure I can use that much room.
TEAM SMART

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "kb426"Does anyone have any suggestions for a seat for the 32 pickup? I need a little support down low in the back. The rest isn't too important. The seats in my Dakota need 30" to fit good. I'm not sure I can use that much room.

Check out some rear seats out of mini vans.  I used a Chrysler rear mini van seat in the 32 roadster.  The only problem was making the adjustable seat tracks as that seat did not have this feature.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

ragdol

I used the middle seat out of a Dodge van. Width is perfect, but the back is a little low. I'll either make the seat back taller, or have a padded bolster made for around the back of the opening. Larry.

C9

Here's some pics of a mid-90's ChryCo mini-van middle seat.

It's an excellent fit in my 31 on 32 rails roadster and very comfortable.

And would be a good fit in a 32 roadster because the cockpit measurements of the 31 and 32 roadsters are virtually the same except the 32 cockpit is 2" deeper.

The 32 pickup cockpit should be similar to the 32 roadster.
I have measurements of both the 31 and 32 roadsters cockpits as well as most of the measurements of a 29 roadster cockpit.

All that's needed to adapt the seat to your car is a simple base built from 1" square tubing or whatever you prefer.
Bolt that to the stock brackets that are up in the seat bottom.

The later Chryco minivans have a seat that's a little thinner in the thickness area of seat cushion bottom and back.
Not quite as comfortable as the earlier ones, but they should work fine.

You can ID these seats to an extent by the armrest count as well as stock seat base mounting brackets.
Early seats have two armrests and the front bracket mounts are offset to the inside on the right side.
Later seats have one armrest -on the right - and bracket mounts are in a square pattern.

Don't get confused if you see a seat in the middle of the van and it's too wide for a roadster.
They are easy to cut down, but far easier to get the true middle seat.

What happens is, van owners remove the true middle seat (a two passenger seat) and bring the true rear seat (a three passenger seat) to the middle making a six passenger van with lots of luggage room.
The vans are set up with floor mounts so either seat will fit the middle.

As you can see in the photos, the seat fits the car quite well.
The seat base I made has seven adjustment holes 1" apart.
A manual deal with four bolts if you want to move the seat fore & aft.
There's two more inches available with the seat you see.

Lots of legroom in the car, moreso than my 32 with it's home-made seat.
I made the 32's seat back too thick and too tall to go back under the cockpit lip.
Even so, the 32 is a comfortable car to spend the day in.
I'm 6' tall with a 32" inseam fwiw.

Don't overlook the FoMoCo van seats.
A friend stuck a Windstar middle van seat into a 34 closed cab pickup and it fit ok, trouble was, it was so cushy that it interfered with leg room and as you know these pickups are a little short in the legroom area.

Walking the junkyards I've seen GM vans with middle seats that look like they would work, but so far the ChryCo seats seem to be the best choice vis a vis comfort and fit.
I'd stick it out an try to find a one of those.

The van middle seats show up in like-new condition at garage sales.
They get forgotten when the van is traded in or wrecked.

I've seen these seats adapted to low bucket seat mounts out of cars like the Mustang etc.
Once they're widened and properly braced no problems with operation.

What Sweetie and I have found that works well with a fixed seat is to set it where it's right for me and make an upholstered back cushion for her.
3" - 4" thick foam is about right.
It doesn't have to be too big, the one we have is about 20" x 20".
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

Dave

I have one of them for my roadster project.. Fits good.
Dave

C9

Quote from: "jusjunk"I have one of them for my roadster project.. Fits good.
Dave

Comfy isn't it?

After the install, I did the vroom, vroom test and almost fell asleep....
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

river1

Quote from: "C9"
Quote from: "jusjunk"I have one of them for my roadster project.. Fits good.
Dave

Comfy isn't it?

After the install, I did the vroom, vroom test and almost fell asleep....

hehe been there done that, more then once. one time in particular, when i was a teen, i fell asleep and my mother rapped on the window, bout jumped out of my skin, she laughed for a long time about that.

later jm
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

kb426

Would one of you measure your minivan seat for width and depth?
TEAM SMART