suspension and frame coatings

Started by kb426, April 19, 2007, 08:11:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

I can't powdercoat the front end parts on the 32. Does anyone have any ideas for a durable coating for shocks, springs with sliders, etc.? This is going to be my daily driver.
TEAM SMART

donsrods

I've always epoxy primed them and used a good Urethane enamel over the top.  I did my '27 about 18 years ago with Dupont Centari, and it held up great through stones, dropped wrenches, etc.  I am doing my current T the same way.

Here is a recent picture of my '27 frame and suspension, with the 18 year old paint on them.  BTW, the car was driven daily for about 7 years in every kind of weather and Florida sunshine. That whiteness you see is shop dust from all the grinding we do around the car.

Don

Deuce

Chrome is pretty clean to keep clean ... :)
RETIRED.....no phone, no work and No money  :?

Dave

Ive done 2 with Imron.. Great stuff sprays nice and its pretty durable.
Dave :arrow:  :wink:  :arrow:

Mercman1951

Quote from: "kb426"I can't powdercoat the front end parts on the 32. Does anyone have any ideas for a durable coating for shocks, springs with sliders, etc.? This is going to be my daily driver.

If it were my car, I'd DP-90 them, then use the top coat of your choice. Will be almost as durable as powdercoat...Assuming you prep them right before the DP-90 goes on. Clean, Clean, CLEAN!

Mac

Quote from: "kb426"I can't powdercoat the front end parts on the 32. Does anyone have any ideas for a durable coating for shocks, springs with sliders, etc.? This is going to be my daily driver.

Maybe cuz I'm cheap and I can get the stuff at wholesale cuz I own a paint store that sells Pittsburgh Architectural (Homeowner/Contractor) Paints, but I'm using 2 products that are marketed for industrial use.

The primer is All Weather DTR  (direct to rust) Epoxy here:
http://www.ppg.com/pafpainttools/PDFS/pghpaints/TDB/97-946.pdf

and a catalyzed (2 part) urethane semi gloss that I ordered in for myself factory tinted in black.
This is the "Neutral Base" product I used:
http://www.ppg.com/pafpainttools/PDFS/pghpaints/TDB/95-8800.pdf

You can find or order  these at any well stocked Pittsburgh Paint dealer.
Products in this industrial line can be ordered in less than full case quantities, so a dealer can get you 1 "kit size". The DTR primer is 1to1 mix so requires 2 gal. minimum purchase. The Pitthane is 1to4 mix so you get a gallon 3/4 full and 2 pints of hardener. I just make up small batches as needed using dollar store plastic measuring cup / spoons.
Down and dirty simple application with minimal prep. I needle scale off any flaky rust, wire brush on a drill, lacquer thinner wipe then prime with Pitt-Guard DTR. Then 1 coat of the black semi gloss urethane. I'm not concerned with a show finish so I brush and "mini roller" everything on. I'm doing frame, suspension and underbody this way.
Here's my T-Bird rear subframe that I sectioned 4.5" ( cut outs shown underneath) painted in this system.
Who\'s yer Data?