FRENCHED HEADLIGHTS

Started by stude55, April 18, 2007, 07:22:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stude55

I WANT TO FRENCH THE HEADLIGHTS ON MY 54 STUDEBAKER PICKUP. HAS ANYONE USED THE HAGAN FRENCHED HEADLIGHT KIT? IF SO HOW WAS IT? ANY LUCK WITH OTHER KITS OR METHODS?

Harry

I have one of Hagan's kits that I never used. The headlights can be changed from the front, not like real frenched headlights. I don't really like the look of that big ring around the light. On my '51 Ford Vicky, we frenched the lights by using '49 Ford headlight rings welded on and leaded in. Headlight bucket is then mounted from under the fender. You could do the same thing on your truck. I think most of the early '50's cars had stamped steel headlight rings. You do not want the pot metal rings.

Mercman1951

Quote from: "stude55"I WANT TO FRENCH THE HEADLIGHTS ON MY 54 STUDEBAKER PICKUP. HAS ANYONE USED THE HAGAN FRENCHED HEADLIGHT KIT? IF SO HOW WAS IT? ANY LUCK WITH OTHER KITS OR METHODS?

Hagen's kits don't look right. IMO.

Winfield's kits seem to offer adjustments. I have yet to weld them in, but they are a nice kit from the looks - (I own a set.)

FWIW, the term "Frenched" with regards to headlights comes from the term "Frenched cuff", as in sport coats or suits, from the look of the sleeve.

These are more "tunneled" than anything; the "Hagen" style is a style all it's own. It's certainly not a "Frenched" look to me.

Just my .02

KustomLincolnLady

Quote from: "Mercman1951"
Quote from: "stude55"I WANT TO FRENCH THE HEADLIGHTS ON MY 54 STUDEBAKER PICKUP. HAS ANYONE USED THE HAGAN FRENCHED HEADLIGHT KIT? IF SO HOW WAS IT? ANY LUCK WITH OTHER KITS OR METHODS?

Hagen's kits don't look right. IMO.

Winfield's kits seem to offer adjustments. I have yet to weld them in, but they are a nice kit from the looks - (I own a set.)

FWIW, the term "Frenched" with regards to headlights comes from the term "Frenched cuff", as in sport coats or suits, from the look of the sleeve.

These are more "tunneled" than anything; the "Hagen" style is a style all it's own. It's certainly not a "Frenched" look to me.

Just my .02

Thats what rob said too when I read the post to him. But I told him I couldn't say that LOL  But since you did I will  :wink:

Debb

1FATGMC

Quote from: "Harry"I have one of Hagan's kits that I never used. The headlights can be changed from the front, not like real frenched headlights. I don't really like the look of that big ring around the light. On my '51 Ford Vicky, we frenched the lights by using '49 Ford headlight rings welded on and leaded in. Headlight bucket is then mounted from under the fender. You could do the same thing on your truck. I think most of the early '50's cars had stamped steel headlight rings. You do not want the pot metal rings.

It is a personal choice, but I don't like the "wide" look of the Hagan kits either.  I like the more tradional '49 Fords also.

I didn't want to work on mine from behind even though it isn't too bad with the tilt front, so I drilled two small holes in the sides of the chrome rings.  I dimpled them in and welded two tabs to the bucket for each light.  The rings are then held to the tabs with two small chrome pan head type screws.

Now I can adjust the lights or replace bulbs easily and the screws are not that noticable.  In fact in all of these years no one has ever commented on them.

c ya,

Sum

sirstude

Sum,

Have you turned 100k on your truck yet?  You never seem to shut it off.  And it still looks good after all this time.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

1FATGMC

Quote from: "sirstude"Sum,

Have you turned 100k on your truck yet?  You never seem to shut it off.  And it still looks good after all this time.

Doug

I have a little over 136,000 now, but some others on here have that many or more on their cars.  I have a friend that some of you know, Don Fortier (sp??), that the last time I talked to him his '40 chevy delivery was turning 200,000 miles and that was all with an old fashion built 383 with an original 400 crank and the short rods.  He also has a Ute with a ton of miles.  I haven't seen Don for over 2 years.  Anyone know how he is??

As for the good looks (the truck, not mine), not any more.  I'm kind of ashamed to take it to a car show anymore, so it's main job in life now is going to b'ville.  The end of May I'll be taking it and the teardrop to Bend, Or. for my niece's wedding and then head south for the racing at El Mirage the following weekend.

Hopefully if the lakester is ever finished the truck will get a complete re-do including a turbo LS motor that hopefully will push it to 200 on the salt.  

c ya,

Sum

WZ JUNK

I drilled holes in the backside of the bucket that are directly underneath the adjustment screws.  Then I cut slots in the bottom of the adjustment screws so that a flat screwdriver would fit the slot.  Now I can reach in from the back to adjust the headlights.  I adjusted the lights many years ago and I have never messed with them again.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

1FATGMC

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"...........  I adjusted the lights many years ago and I have never messed with them again.
John

..............and he never drives after dark  :twisted: ,

Sum

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"I drilled holes in the backside of the bucket that are directly underneath the adjustment screws.  Then I cut slots in the bottom of the adjustment screws so that a flat screwdriver would fit the slot.  Now I can reach in from the back to adjust the headlights.  I adjusted the lights many years ago and I have never messed with them again.

John

NEAT idea :!:  :!:   Where was this during the tech contest thing  :?:  :?:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

enjenjo

Ok, the Hagan rim itself is nice, I just don't like the inner rim. If you were to use the Hagan outer, and make your own inner ring, it would look nice.

Night Prowles has a repro 52 Merc ring and inner ring, pretty good price.

You can also weld the stock Stude rings in place, after reversing the bucket so it can be removed from the rear.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

1FATGMC

Quote from: "enjenjo"..........Night Prowles has a repro 52 Merc ring and inner ring, pretty good price..........

Yes I think that is where I got mine.  I forgot  :cry: .  That is also where I got my grill teeth.  I wonder if they still have those??

Sum

Mercman1951

[/quote]

Thats what rob said too when I read the post to him. But I told him I couldn't say that LOL  But since you did I will  :wink:

Debb[/quote]

I used the 'IMO' so I could displace myself from those who like the looks of them on every car.

This is a big "to each his own" area. I'm not badmouthing the people/cars that use them, and I'm sure they are a great product, but personally, on my car- I considered them; decided against them. They would look out of place to me. All depends on the "look" you're going for.

I should also say, I have seen a couple cars where they looked right...they have to fit with the overall "look" of the car, but I'm more of the traditional style when it comes to headlights and 'frenching'- so that's what I gravitate towards. I've seen plenty of cars where they didn't work to me...more like the owner was saying "Hey, look at me, I got Hagens!"

Initially I liked them when they first came out...but all of a sudden a bunch of cars came out to the public that were high dollar stuff, and it then became the "norm" to have them, and that turned me off too.

If it flows with the overall design of the car, cool. If it looks like a tacky aftermarket add-on, for add-on sake, no...again, to each his own.

Hope that clears up my muddied thoughts on this topic! :)

stude55

THAT TUNNELED LOOK IS NICE, AND IT DOES LOOK GOOD ON THE SALT TRUCK. I AM GONNA LOOK INTO THE WINFIELDS AND NIGHT PROWLERS, THANKS FOR THE INFO, I WOULD NOT HAVE KNOWN ABOUT THE OTHER STYLES IF I DID NOT ASK, EVERYWHERE I LOOK I SEE HAGAN. I'LL LET YOU KNOW WHICH WAY I GO, IT WILL BE A WHILE, I'M NOT A BODY MAN BUT I PERSEVERE. ONCE I GET THE DOORS DONE ILL DO THE FENDERS.

stude55

OK, DID A QUICK SEARCH, WHERE CAN I FIND WINFIELD KITS