I Think I Did Good Today!

Started by Grandadeo, April 11, 2007, 01:01:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grandadeo

Have a friend here that has moved to North Carolina.  He was back in town to move more of his stuff up there - house here is still for sale .  Anyway, my brother bought some '40s Lincoln brakes and an overdrive transmission from him a while back and wanted to get the steering column from the Lincoln too. While we were there I saw his stash of aluminum Buick V8 engines that I had forgotten he had.  Ask what his plans were and he said load um up if you want them.  So... I now have one complete carb to oil pan Buick aluminum V8 and one extra block, heads,  2 intakes, and assorted other parts.  I haven't checked any numbers yet but I'm thinking maybe this is a 300" Buick.  Its not a nail head design but has neat factory tube exhaust manifolds/headers.  I was looking for something smaller/lighter to use in my T Touring project rather than the boat anchor '55 Olds and hydramatic that I have.  This should work out good I think.  No transmission, darn the luck, just a flex plate.  Any of you have experience with these Buicks, assuming that's what it is.  I guess Olds used them too.  Would like to find out transmission options like maybe standard shift set ups and possibly using a T-5 transmission.  Your thoughts and any ID numbers appreciated.

Lee
Salt Is Good... Mk 9:50

Fat Cat

The 300 cu in Buick motor was a iron block motor. The aluminum motors wer 215 cu in.

GPster

Runs in my mind that the olds and Buick engines (or is that Enjens ?) had different heads. I thought the Buick engines had the "Nail Head" style valve covers and the Olds engine's valve covers were more conventional. The problem they had around here with them was the anti-freeze or lack of it that people used in them. Some of the blocks were goners. GPster

enjenjo

They did Joe, and the blocks were drilled differently for the different heads. The Olds had one more bolt per cylinder.

If the second block is cast iron, it could be a 300, and a 300 crank can be used to build a 305 cube aluminum Buick with a 215 block.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

36vicky

Here's some interesting material.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buick_V8_engine#Buick_.22small-block.22

If you can believe what you read on Wikipedia, since anybody can post there.  I mean even a non expert like me.  Enjoy, Tom G.
The Vicky Henry never built, it won\'t be long now, it won\'t be long now, it won\'t be long now...  Tom G.

Roadstar

Yup if they are aluminum they are 215 CID, looks like a small nailhead.

Very cool for a T- Bucket project

Bib_Overalls

My Model T sedan is getting an Olds 215 with the small bell housing 700R-4 out of a 60 degree V6 Camero/S10.  I bought the adapter from D&D Fabrications http://www.aluminumv8.com  .  They have everything you need to put one of the 215s or later Rover versions in a hot rod.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

Grandadeo

Thanks for the feedback guys and the links.  So it looks like I have an Olds 215" aluminum engine and lots of spare parts.  I'll have to do a lot more reading and figure out a plan but I don't see a need to look for aftermarket stuff except maybe a cam.  Got the four barrel intake and carb and everything is aluminum so maybe just some nice valve covers would be all I'd need.  Looks like Land Rover has those.  Bib, the 700R-4 sounds like a good way to go rather than the 5 speed.

Lee

Bib_Overalls

I got my cam from Summit Racing.  Saved about $50 (Vis D&D Fab).  But it took a long time to get.  Also bought my starter and Edelbrock Rover Performer intake from Summet as well.  But I sourced my bearings, rings, water pump, harmonic ballencer, and transmission adapter from D&D.  

If you have a four barrel intake then your Olds motor is the 185 horse high compression version.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

Grandadeo

Still trying to figure out engine ID Numbers to know exactly what I've got but not having much luck.  Any one size fits all handy engine reference sites out there?  I guess these could even be Pontiac which I didn't know they made an aluminum 215.

Lee

Bib_Overalls

Quote from: "Grandadeo"I guess these could even be Pontiac which I didn't know they made an aluminum 215. Lee

Pontiac used the Olds version.  The Olds block will have a head bolt centered on the top of the cylinder.  The rocker stands are secured to the head with a bolt that goes down into the block.  Buick uses a short bolt into the head.  So no centered up head bolt on the Buick block.

I've got a bunch of tech data nthat I can send you.  Email me or PM me with your email address if intrested.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks