32 Ford grille shell

Started by kb426, April 04, 2007, 06:30:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

On some cars the grille shell tilts forward, some it appears to be straight up. What is correct and why is it different?
TEAM SMART

Dave

Quote from: "kb426"On some cars the grille shell tilts forward, some it appears to be straight up. What is correct and why is it different?

Ive wondered my self.. Mine is pretty straight. I do know the truck ones (on trucks)seem to lean . Maybe its the way they are put together. If you look at mine its off from one side to the other(kit cars) LOL.. But it looks right and thats the way I wanted it..
Dave

Deuce

Quote from: "kb426"On some cars the grille shell tilts forward, some it appears to be straight up. What is correct and why is it different?

My 32 Ford is a original Ford body with a original Ford hood and shell ... sitting on a original set of Ford frame rails ... and as you can see ... the shell is upright. I have good gaps at all the intersecting points. It is difficult to get a great fit, even when using all FOMOCO original sheet metal. Add in repro parts and pieces can only make it more dificult.
RETIRED.....no phone, no work and No money  :?

kb426

This would lead me to think that it should be upright and be prepared to do whatever it takes to accomplish that.
TEAM SMART

Deuce

One reason I posted the above photo of the roadster is ... my 32 has a slight rake to the front. Look at the running boards. IF ... my roadster sat level ... the shell would lean back slightly.  :)

My 32 3W ... sits more level and the shell has a very slight lean to the rear. I believe if you get the hood fitting the cowl and the shell fitting the shell ... ( NOT a easy thing to do )

You will be OK ...   :D
RETIRED.....no phone, no work and No money  :?

UGLY OLDS

What ( if anything) needs to be done to a '30-31 A hood to correctly fit a '32 shell???...( Sorry to steal your post kb...)
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Beck

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"What ( if anything) needs to be done to a '30-31 A hood to correctly fit a '32 shell???...( Sorry to steal your post kb...)
You buy a different hood made for that application.

My grill is intentionally leaned back because the car sits at such a rake. If it was truely straight up and down with respect to the frame it would appear to lean forward. My grill is also shorter in length by 2 1/2 inches. The hood is then lengthened to make the car appear streched in the hood area.

Beck

I forgot how to add the photo so I had to experiment first.
[/img]

Beck

My PC lo..loc..locked up and now I can't delete the 2nd photo since I had to reboot. Call me stupid!

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "Beck"My PC lo..loc..locked up and now I can't delete the 2nd photo since I had to reboot. Call me stupid!

Stupid

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

Fat Cat

Quote from: "EMSjunkie"Stupid

Vance

Being a little hard on yourself today aren't you?

WZ JUNK

I wondered about this too and I intend to do some more looking at the upcoming events.  Since I used an aftermarket hood and grill shell, I did not know how much to cut off the hood when I made it fit.  I think I had someone tell me that the hood is 32 down the center front to back.  Whatever distance it is, I used that information and I squared the radiator shell so that the hood sides would be square.  The car has a rake to it and from the side the top of the radiator appears to slant forward but it does not.  I noticed a lot of cars set up like mine look like this.  It is an optical illusion.  I suppose you could lean it back but I do not think so.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

GPster

It might be a mater of taste, if it's not a Restoration. I think Rotliebe (check the spelling) will make one however you want it. Might check with them. I think a Duece grill on a Model "A" with a stock (A") hood might depend on what frame you use because of the difference in wheelbase. If you run hood side panels might make a difference too. To my eye the grill and the firewall look beter if they're paralell but side panels would hide that look. GPster

Dave

If anyone is interested i have (just gotta locate) an extra hagan hood installation sheet that gives all the dimensions for a 32 hood. I can scan it and post it or email it if you would like a copy.. When I did the coupe i had a rootlieb hood and i had to do some trimming to get the side panels and top to look right. They make em long and you have to fit them. I am happy with the way they came out and this is the 2nd set. The first ones didnt have louvers.. Its nice to have the actual dimensions for set up.
Dave :wink:  :arrow:  :wink:

rumrumm

Quote from: "Beck"[ My grill is also shorter in length by 2 1/2 inches. The hood is then lengthened to make the car appear streched in the hood area.

Your hood and grill shell combination looks like a Barry Lobeck car. Is that who built it? I like that look and considered doing that with mine, but eventually decided against it.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com