almost done

Started by phat rat, April 03, 2007, 07:22:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phat rat

Started this project last fall. For those that don't remember or weren't here this was a 16' trailer now it's 24'.  It had single axle 10" brakes on tandem 3500# axles, it's now tanden 6500# axles w/12" brakes on both.  I had a problem with primer and had to have it sandblasted a second time so that added almost 2 months. I had to wait that long for a decent day.  I just pulled it out of the garage about 5 tonight. Now I need to finish the 40" semi-sleeper that's going on it, put the winch back on along with a headache rack and it'll be done. Hopefully within the next couple of weeks
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

WZ JUNK

Looks great.  Can I borrow it.   Having a nice car trailer is like keeping keg beer in your shop.  You have lots of friends.  I have had people waiting for my trailer to come back so that they could take it.  I do not loan it much anymore.  Sometimes I just offer them $20 if they will call a wrecker instead of using my trailer or I just take my truck and haul whatever they have.  That way I do not have to make the repairs.  

One time we came home from vacation and my trailer was parked by the shop with two of the tires shredded.  I never found out who borrowed it and brought it back that way.  Now I put a hitch lock on it when we are going to be gone.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

phat rat

I don't loan it. I'll sometimes haul for someone but that's as far as it goes.  If something happens to it it's my fault and my problem. Boy that's balls to use it without asking and then bring it back that way. I'll post some better pics when I get the sleeper on

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "phat rat"I don't loan it. I'll sometimes haul for someone but that's as far as it goes.  If something happens to it it's my fault and my problem. Boy that's balls to use it without asking and then bring it back that way. I'll post some better pics when I get the sleeper on

On the flip side of the borrowing, I just remember something else that happened a few years ago.  One of my friends had been using the trailer a lot.  One day he took it and keep it about a week.  When he brought it back, it had been sandblasted and painted.  He also put 4 new tires on it.  I told him that the next time he needed the trailer he should take my truck too.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

phat rat

Rayvyn

A 40" sleeper...?  Ain't that like a Motel 1+1/2...?
Looking good Jack. That'll sure hold alot of parts... :D
***SFC-Team Smart***

What can a bird do that a man can\'t?

Whistle through his pecker...

Deuce

I  had a neat little professionally built 18 foot trailer ... double axle with brakes ... I bought it new but almost never needed it so I let a friend borrow it. He had a dirt track car. A few racing seasons later ... it was beat up, the tires mis - matched and in a general state of disrepair.  :(

I was real disapointed but said nothing. He had been a real good friend over the years.

I went by one day to visit ( he lived 60 miles away ) and he had my  trailer tore apart ... sandblasted and painted. He was installing new axle bearings, brakes and tires.  :)  I waited 2 weeks ( racing season was about a month away ) and I went and got my trailer ...  :D

It was back in the shape it was when he borrowed it ...
He never said a word ... but he went and bought himself a trailer  :roll:
RETIRED.....no phone, no work and No money  :?

Fuzzy

Downright purty,Jack! :D
No billet for this kid!

phat rat

Thanks for the compliments guys. Yes it'll hold a lot of parts and save me hotel/motel bills. I plan on doing some parts hunting trips of a week or 2 so this will really help. I've been planning this change for about four years. In fact I bought the steel for the rails and the xmembers in 04

Beck

A buddy and I own one together. It is degrading over time from outside storage. The paint is terrible from the factory. We had to replace the tires last summer. I guess we turn to many tight corners. We don't loan ours either. If the borrower is a good enough friend to use it we are a good enough friend to pull the trailer for them.
I had some junk steel that I had to get rid of this week. Due to the length of a step van frame I didn't have much option on where to load it on the trailer. It just fit. I stacked the rest of the junk around on the front of the trailer. It made one scarry drive to the shredder. It was a 50 mph load. Anything faster and big fishtails! White knuckles! I assume that is caused by not enough front weight? I had 3700 # loaded. It sold for $215. I had to leave work 45 min early, drove the truck and trailer about 140 miles to pick everything up and haul the load. I had to refill the Oxygen bottle on the cutting torch. Did I make any $$?

Crosley.In.AZ

good jobs take time.

trailer looks fine , hope it works well when finished..

A buddy (?) borrowed my car trailer many moons ago (I do not loan it now)... He calls me to bring the trailer back. He says :" a tire blew out the sidewall"... I thought it was odd since the tires at the time were nearly new good quality radials

When I see the trailer and flat tire...... the wheel is bent from where it hit a curb.  He bought a tire and had the wheel straightened ( bent just a small amount).

You would have thought I was trying to pull teeth from his azz the way he acted.

:lol:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

phat rat

Haven't totaled up the cost of the redo yet. I bought this trailer in 92 for $1250 new. I repainted it in 96 and now this complete redo, it sits outside also. Last time it was red and it faded fast. I painted it black figuring it'll be easy to touch up. I don't figure it owes me much as  I have put over 30,000 mi on it. It hauls fantastic, I took it out this afternoon and it pulled fine. I'm happy with it, can't wait to get the sleeper on it and get out on the road.

t-vicky

Had a friend that loaned out his nice aluminum car trailer.  Got it back about a week later.  They had hauled a D-9 cat on it.
 Once loaned my A-frame engine hoist to a so called friend.  Went to get it a year later & had to track it thur 17 people.  Had to call the police on the last guy that swore it was his.  I had my name welded inside one of the tubes.  Don't ever use it any more with having the cherry picker but still don't loan it out.  Always figured I can borrow something twice.  3rd time I need it its time to buy one.

Harry

I have a 16' trailer that I would like to move the axles toward the rear.
Right now they are in the centre of the trailer.
Can you tell me if there is a formula as to how far back they can go?
I have heard, one inch per foot of trailer.
On a 16' trailer, that would be 16"
Does that sound right?
Thanks for any help.