Ford 2.3 EFI engine.... 1989 unit

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, April 01, 2007, 11:52:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

Found a local 2.3 Ford motor and trans.

Is this a year of engine that can be converted back to  a carb and standard distributor??
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "enjenjo"Does it have 8 spark plugs?

good question, I will ask the guy before I go look at the car.
Tony

GPster

I have the 8 sparkplug engine in my '89 Ranger. You might also get into a lot of computor controls on the tranny. It probably also has a thin (serpentine?) fan belt so you might ask for all the accessories with it. GPster

Jbird

I just did a 2.3. I got an 85 Ranger with a blowed up 2.8 V6 and a 92 Ranger with an injected 2.3 and a smashed body. I pulled the complete powertrain out of the 92 and installed it in the 85. I only had to drill a few holes and lenghten the exhaust system about 10 inches. The injection harness integration was interesting.

Other than having 8 spark plugs the 2.3 looks like it would be an easy conversion back to a dizzy and carb. The dizzy hole is still there, there is a gizmo stuck in it to drive the oil pump. I think you could run it on just the four rightside plugs.

BTW Tony heres a pic of a real engine in a 62 Falcon. It's a 490hp  342" stroked 302. It might give your six banger a pretty good race.  Jbird 8)
A biblical plague would come in real handy just about now
Badges? Badges? We don\'t need no stinking Badges!!
Team Smarts official dumbfounder
The first liar ain\'t got a chance

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Jbird"
BTW Tony heres a pic of a real engine in a 62 Falcon. It's a 490hp  342" stroked 302. It might give your six banger a pretty good race.  Jbird 8)

my 62 is for sale.  waited 2.5 yrs on the engine guy ( he is giving me a deal) LOL

I have many items for sale at this time.... including cars , cycle and land.

:T)
Tony

Crosley.In.AZ

Tony

tomslik

why not just plug the intake plug holes?
the oil pump drive can be popped out an a dist installed.
not sure about the intake/carb situation though

you in "sell" mode again? :roll:
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

GPster

When I had my "mobil compost pile"('84 Ranger) someone had put a '76 Pintpo head on it, carb and all. They said it was because the syock head had been cracked but I think it had to do with changing a computor motor to something he understood. Tell him it's mostly junk (free) and find a motor to change it all out. Maybe they have good heads for these things in Oz. GPster

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "tomslik"why not just plug the intake plug holes?
the oil pump drive can be popped out an a dist installed.
not sure about the intake/carb situation though

you in "sell" mode again? :roll:

good ideas.  I found another motor on craigs list here. No answer from the guy yet.

yes ,I am selling stuff. sold another car , one guy is thinking on the Falcon.

We got to sign papers for land in Taylor AZ to be listed for sale.... hope it sells quickly. Land in the area is still selling well

not too much interest in the 1800 yet, only listed on some boards at this time.

8)
Tony

1FATGMC

Quote from: "Crosley"We got to sign papers for land in Taylor AZ to be listed for sale.... hope it sells quickly. Land in the area is still selling well.
8)

Does this mean you aren't moving to the "high" country and will remain a desert rat or maybe just a ra.............?????????

c ya,

Sum

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: 1FATGMC
Quote from: "Crosley"

Does this mean you aren't moving to the "high" country and will remain a desert rat or maybe just a ra.............?????????

c ya,

Sum

not sure at this point.  

i will leave the metro phoenix area when that retirement thing happens..... :shock:
Tony

UGLY OLDS

i will leave the metro phoenix area when that retirement thing happens..... :shock:[/quote]

Is it getting that bad there?? We were considering retiring TO there when the time comes....Some where around "51 & the 101" or there abouts....
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"

Is it getting that bad there?? We were considering retiring TO there when the time comes....Some where around "51 & the 101" or there abouts....

Getting???? LOL ,

I was born & raised here.  The place  has turned into a crowded hell hole.

something like 3.7 million folks living in Maricopa county !

51 & the 101...... you will get no where on the weekends.  the north bound  I-17 freeway is west of that location. It  is often a parking lot friday through sunday.  That is non holiday weekends.

You will be retired , you will have time to sit in traffic IF you decide to drive some where.

:lol:
Tony

1FATGMC

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"Is it getting that bad there?? We were considering retiring TO there when the time comes....Some where around "51 & the 101" or there abouts....

Have you spent much time down there in the summer (April to Nov.), some people can handle the heat and others can't.  I would go stay awhile before spending money.  It also just doesn't cool off at night there any more, so plan on 90 degrees at midnight and as Tony says the traffic is something else.

Phx is a huge place now.  Basically 90 miles east to west and about 60 miles north to south.  If you can get out of the area the heat in my opinion is bearable.  We had a place 110 miles to the west and it would get down into the 70's at night after 100+ degree days.

I still like to visit though and I'm over due.  The main attraction is the good RRT people living there  :D .

c ya,

Sum