Ok i need a wheel and tire expert..

Started by Dave, March 29, 2007, 06:47:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Ok i think i screwed up. I ordered my 15x10 wheels for the coupe and i ordered them reversed with a 3 1/2 back space. Man these look cool reversed but im wondering about getting the tires on em. I see that i coulda ordered regular 15x10's with out being reversed. So is it gonna be a bit-ch to get the tires on these and off if need be or will it be ok with the new style tire machines.. ???? Ya i know no pics .. ill try tomorrow when i get home. My kid just left and ive got some things to do so no pics tonite.. Im just wondering if anyone used to be a tire guy and knows how reversed as opposed to regular rims work as far as installing tires.. Im sure it will be ok on the install but i may have to dismount em by hand from the back side if i have any problems..Im sure glad im stupid and dont think much.. Easy Tony try and be nice...
Dave :lol:

MrMopar64

You'll mount and dismount the tires from the shallow side  :wink:

MM64  8)
www.rgkustoms.com
www.rg-kustoms.com
Racing.... Because Baseball, Football, & Basketball
Only Require One Ball..... Gotta Race
  :lol:

kb426

I agree with mopar guy. Because they're brand new, if you have a tire shop you trust with the right machine, I'd let them do it. If you don't feel comfortable with that, use plenty of lube and go slowly. I have 5 tire irons and never seem to have the one that doesn't scratch anything. :lol:
TEAM SMART

msuguydon

Quote from: "kb426", use plenty of lube and go slowly. :lol:

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Would plastic be okay for you today?

Proud Member of Team Smart

Dave

Quote from: "MrMopar64"You'll mount and dismount the tires from the shallow side  :wink:

MM64  8)

Ahh thats the problem. The new machines clamp inside the rim and if we have to turn the wheels over then its gonna clamp on a polished surface :!: Not good. :( Man i screwed up again on this one. I gues if all else fails ill have the tires removed off my 5 spokes and ill mount them on the salt flats by hand.. I can do that from the rear and not screw anything up..
Dave
oh ya these were custom made wheels so im stuck with them..

Edit.. I did some searching and i see how the new machines work and most seem to have jaws that dont scratch the wheels.. Ill just have to ask the tire guys tomorrow. If theres is like that im in.. If not im back to doing it by hand this time anyway. This may not be as bad as I thought but i got cornfused wen i was looking at the wheels and backspacing  and stuff on the a/r web site. I coulda done this different and had no worries. When i realized what id done I got a little gun paranoid like Don.  :lol: I did find my survival kit in the house last nite and now i have a headache :!:

Bob Paulin

Quote from: "jusjunk"
Quote from: "MrMopar64"You'll mount and dismount the tires from the shallow side  :wink:

MM64  8)

Ahh thats the problem. The new machines clamp inside the rim and if we have to turn the wheels over then its gonna clamp on a polished surface :!: Not good. :( Man i screwed up again on this one. I gues if all else fails ill have the tires removed off my 5 spokes and ill mount them on the salt flats by hand.. I can do that from the rear and not screw anything up..
Dave
oh ya these were custom made wheels so im stuck with them..

Edit.. I did some searching and i see how the new machines work and most seem to have jaws that dont scratch the wheels.. Ill just have to ask the tire guys tomorrow. If theres is like that im in.. If not im back to doing it by hand this time anyway. This may not be as bad as I thought but i got cornfused wen i was looking at the wheels and backspacing  and stuff on the a/r web site. I coulda done this different and had no worries. When i realized what id done I got a little gun paranoid like Don.  :lol: I did find my survival kit in the house last nite and now i have a headache :!:

Do some checking around...

There are STILL a lot of the old Coats 10/10-style machines (20/20, 40/40, etc.) out there that have a center post with a cup hold down.

If you're planning to take a weekend cruise into Maine, give me a call and I'll mount them up for you on my John Bean/May Tirematic machine that also holds the wheels down with the center post...<<G>>

And, I agree that you MUST mount the tires from the side with the narrow flange.....Anybody remember the GM 14-inch wheels of the late '50S, early '60s that were always mounted and dis-mounted from the rear?

It used to be quite entertaining watching a rookie who didn't know better trying to work from the front-side of the wheel.

B.P.
"Cheating only means you really care about winning" - Red Green

Charlie Chops 1940

Dave,

Trot your bony butt down to the NAPA store and buy you a gallon of RuGLYDE (tm). It's the best tire mounting lube I've ever found - probably under $10. It really works good.

Your results may vary.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Dave

Thanks Bob but i dont think i can make it up this weekend :lol: Looking at the newer machines i see they actually clamp from the outside at the edge of the rim and its my understanding they have boots for the clamps so they dont scratch the wheels. After looking at the design i see where it will work fine. I pretty sure these guys have a machine like that but ive never actually watched how it clamps but i do know the tool on the top never touches the wheel. Ill find out tomorrow.But im sure its not gonna be a dig deal like i thought.
Dave :wink:

C9

Like Bob says, the older machines do fine.
I've had a couple sets of 10 x 15's done on those with no problems.

It may help to seek out a shop that does a lot of Ricer work.
Lots of aluminum wheels are done at these shops and I'm sure the Ricers are just as fussy about their aluminum wheels as we are.

Not gonna try it now, but I'm wondering if the tires will come off the powder coated wheels I got a couple years back.
Lots of friction with powder and a few years of sitting on the car may make it tough for the initial break-it-loose go round.
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

e83w

Dave, the new style tire machines will clamp the wheel from the inside or from the outside. When they clamp from the outside, they grip the rim by the edge or the bead area where the tire seats up. They just have to release the clamp when puting the air in is all. You will be fine getting your tires mounted with one of these machines. The tires do go on from the back of the wheel. It is really not a big deal.

Russ
Ifn\' it aint Blown, It sucks!

Dave

Ya thanks russ.. i shoulda figured that out  :shock: I remember now when they did my other wheels that even though the shinny side was up the still clamped from the outside cause i remember them letting the clamp off before they aired em up..

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "msuguydon"
Quote from: "kb426", use plenty of lube and go slowly. :lol:

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Sumpthin' tells me that ain't the first time he's heard that. :shock:  :lol:

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

Dave

Thats wat the doctor did tuesday.. Worked ok :lol:

donsrods

A couple of years ago I bought one of the Harbor Freight tire machines and have gotten more use out of it.  I made the decision after a local tire shop charged me $ 20 per tire to mount a set for me. ($ 10 to mount and $ 10 tp balance each one)

The other advantage is that We can take our time, pad everything with lots of rags, use lots of lube, and not scratch the rims or damage the wide whitewalls.  It is a manual machine like we had in the old days, and takes some effort, but is extremely controlable.

I think I paid like $ 39 on sale and it has paid for itself many times over.  Just thought I would mention this.

Don

46 fordpickup

ok this is only good for dismounting but our local; tire guy uses gas and varsol 50 50 mix for getting the tires off . According to him it is the most slippery thing he has found.and it goes with out saving no smoke break when doing it he he.Hope this helps