2002 ford 3 liter troubles

Started by Mikej, March 29, 2007, 05:40:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikej

I have a 2002 3 liter ford ranger. It will run ok until 3000 rpm. Acts almost like  it is governed. Starts hunting, no power. Doesn't  die, always starts. Fuel pressure 70 psi. New filter. Any ideas. Thanks Mike

Dave

Quote from: "Mikej"I have a 2002 3 liter ford ranger. It will run ok until 3000 rpm. Acts almost like  it is governed. Starts hunting, no power. Doesn't  die, always starts. Fuel pressure 70 psi. New filter. Any ideas. Thanks Mike
Ya one.. converter is plugged ?
Dave :wink:

Mikej

It does it in park also. I thought a drive line problem too. Its my partners truck. He took it to the local garage. I tried to get him to take it to a ford dealer.

tomslik

Quote from: "Mikej"It does it in park also. I thought a drive line problem too. Its my partners truck. He took it to the local garage. I tried to get him to take it to a ford dealer.

yeah, they've got more parts to throw at 'em than the independents :roll:

you say it runs good until 3K?
driving or just sitting there revving?
i AM asking these questions for a reason...
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Mikej

Least they can put them back on the shelf. :wink:

stude55

sounds like a fuel issue, or I should say fuel strategy issue, take off the maf sensor and clean it with carb or brake clean and then spray it with low pressure compressed air to dry, clean the resistor portion, have also seen cat converters plug, as suggested above, use a vacuum gauge or diconnect them from the manifolds(if easy), otherwise find a good ford tech, or lesser tech who knows eec5(obdII) Re post when you find out what fixed it, I am currious.

Mikej

It does this in park just reving the engine or when driving. 3000 rpm. Will ask local mechanic  about Maf sensor. Think he checked it already. He talked with some tech people and thought it might just be plugs and wires. Of course no one had any. My partner was going try and find some this weekend and change them. Will know more Monday. I'm lost on these new car and trucks. Can't even see the plugs.  

Cat convertor :oops: I will mention this Monday if the plugs don't do it.
Thanks guys.....

Mikej

Heres the poop; the hunting at 3000 rpm in park is the rev limiter!!!!! The bad miss at 3000 rpm, while driving, turns out to have been a small miss instead. I was lead to believe it was the same hunting as the rev limiter. I I'm not to happy about this. 2 days in the shop for nothing. I should have driven it. My fault.

Dave

Well at least you know now.. My kid has one of them things and he just put a timing belt on it and it needs a water pump. 150.00  :?: He also changed all 8 plugs and did the wires too. He is still waiting for the pump then he can get it all back together..
Dave :arrow:  :wink:  :arrow:

stude55

LIVE AND LEARN. 3000 RPM REV LIMITER GETS A-LLLLLLLLLOT OF PEOPLE. WHAT ARE YOU TRYIN TO DO, SET UP YOUR CONVERTOR FOR A GOOD LAUNCH ON THE LIGHT?

Mikej

That was my first thought also. :lol:  I have no idea why he was reving to 3000 rpm in park.