Spare Tire Jacks - Recommendations Please

Started by msuguydon, March 21, 2007, 12:17:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

msuguydon

Now that the weather is getting nicer, my plans are to take the "Tuna Boat" on some longer sails.  I have a spare tire, I do not have a jack.  What do you guys recommend in terms of jacks.  I do not need to go down the factory original path.

I was thinking small hydraulic can style jack.

Also if you would please give me some recommendations on the size of jack I would need,  1 ton, 2 ton.  6 ton?

Would plastic be okay for you today?

Proud Member of Team Smart

EMSjunkie

I never have liked "bumper" jacks, they scare the crap outta me :shock:

I prefer a small floor type jack. ya outta have plenty of room in the back of the "Love Boat" fer one.  8)

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

phat rat

go to the junkyard and start looking through trunks. I got a scissors jack out of one years ago for the cpe it's even in it's own case
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Dave

As big as the trunk is on the T/B you should be able fo fit a compressor and an air jack in there..
Dave :arrow:  :wink:  :arrow:

msuguydon

Quote from: "phat rat"go to the junkyard and start looking through trunks. I got a scissors jack out of one years ago for the cpe it's even in it's own case

Scissors jacks Scare the hell out of me!

msuguydon

Quote from: "jusjunk"As big as the trunk is on the T/B you should be able fo fit a compressor and an air jack in there..
Dave :arrow:  :wink:  :arrow:

bada bump, bump  (rim shot)  :roll:

enjenjo

The jack I have is out of an old Toronado, it's kind of a mechanical floor jack. It lifts off the frame.

The best way is a AAA card.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

BFS57

Hello;
One day after getting to work, I needed to take my starter off and change it out (57 Chevy). Didn't have a jack so, I went in one of our delivery vans (GMC) It was a scissors jack that was large! Worked perfect!
My 2 cents.

Bruce

1FATGMC

I carry a small floor jack.  They don't last long in the shop, but I think they are the best deal safety wise and use wise and don't really take up that much more room than other jacks.  Might want to carry a small piece of plywood in case you are jacking up on dirt so the jack can roll as it goes up and so it doesn't sink out of sight.

The other thing I take is one jack stand.  I do not like being under a vehicle without one especially under the conditions you have to jack a car up at times.

I use to carry a bottle jack years ago, but they can be about useless at times.

I along with others have been happy at times that I had a jack along :D .

c ya,

Sum

t-vicky

I carry one of those toronado jacks. I welded a peice of 1" angle iron on it to help it stay where I want it.

MrMopar64

Or you could get one of these .......  :wink:
Wireless remote.... no crawl'n under the car to raise or lower the jack  :wink:

MM64  8)
www.rgkustoms.com
www.rg-kustoms.com
Racing.... Because Baseball, Football, & Basketball
Only Require One Ball..... Gotta Race
  :lol:

UGLY OLDS

I agree with Frank...AAA card..Don't leave home without it.... Second choice is a small floor jack....Experiment BEFORE leaving home...Get some folks together at your garage with "different" favorites...Change a tire ( front AND rear)  on the car at home using ONLY whats in your trunk...You'll be amazed at what you CAN'T do..( Remember..The car's a lot lower with a flat tire..) ...Better to be "surprised " at home than "on the shoulder" ...... :cry:  :cry:  I have seen pro-street cars on the highway that the rear tires could NOT be removed from without dis-assembling the rear suspension.. :shock:  :shock: ..PLAN AHEAD  :)  :)
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Carnut

I have one of these, with a jack stand, in each of my cars:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=36119

I also have a 'click' torquewrench, with an extension and socket, in each car as a lugwrench.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=239

msuguydon

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"I agree with Frank...AAA card..Don't leave home without it.... Second choice is a small floor jack....Experiment BEFORE leaving home...Get some folks together at your garage with "different" favorites...Change a tire ( front AND rear)  on the car at home using ONLY whats in your trunk...You'll be amazed at what you CAN'T do..( Remember..The car's a lot lower with a flat tire..) ...Better to be "surprised " at home than "on the shoulder" ...... :cry:  :cry:  I have seen pro-street cars on the highway that the rear tires could NOT be removed from without dis-assembling the rear suspension.. :shock:  :shock: ..PLAN AHEAD  :)  :)

OHHHHH Great, now you have scared the POOP out of me!

I just need to sell this * thing and get on with life!

CQQL33

I carry a BOTTLE OF JACK and a CELL PHONE..........  Have small tires in the front and big meets on the rear..... have no room for 2 spares anyway.................works for me (so far).....