Need Help Choosing Mig Welder

Started by lethal6, March 20, 2007, 01:10:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lethal6

I am looking at welders and wondered if you could give me advice. I have a 220volt pugin. So I can go either 110 or 220. I was wondering if one of the 110. would be enough ? Im leaning towardA220 Machine. I would like to know what you use and ad and do uo

Dave

The best way to go is 220. Ive got a 110 century and its ok. I didnt have a lot of cash when i got it and its done the job although id been better waiting and saving for a better 220 machine.  just make sure you get one set up for gas. Thats the only way to go.
Dave :arrow:  :wink:  :arrow:

EMSjunkie

As much as I hate to...........I gotta agree with Dave. :lol:
:lol:
I have a Linclon Weld Pak 100  110v mig with gas. I was short on cash
when I bought mine, plus I already had a 220v stick. but given the opportunity, I'd buy a 220v mig, or maybe a tig, or maybe a plasma cutter :?

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

tom36

I've got a Miller 220 machine.  My logic when I bought it was a big machine can weld light stuff but a little machine can't weld heavy stuff.  I haven't been sorry about my decision.  Last year I also bought a Miller Big Window Elite self darkening helmet LOVE IT!   Tom...

enjenjo

I have both. I have a 220V 250 amp Snapon, and a 110V Lincoln SP135. The 110V is ideal for sheet metal work, so it is set up with .023 EZgrind wire. If restricted to just one, it would be 220V
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

sirstude

I also have both.  I have an old miller 35 220v. with .033 wire.  Great old machine.  I bought a 145 Hobart 110v.  a couple of years ago, and I have been running .030 wire, but will be going to .023 when the spool runs out.

The auto darkening helmets are great for the hobbiest.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

lethal6

Thanks for the replys guys. It really helps to have someone thats been down this road. I have only used larger machines in body shops and wanted something for my own shop. Has anyone used or owned one of the clark welders? Or should I just stick with miller, or one of the the other name brands? I have been looking at the hobart 187 or the miller 210. Thanks again for the all the help and input.

Crosley.In.AZ

I have a Miller 220volt machine... the 210 as i recall.

Also have a Lincoln 110 volt unit.

It is one of the first  design 110 volt units.. Idealarc SP-100 .  I've had the welder for many years, bought a new gun and cable a few years back.

After the good luck with the Lincoln 110 volt unit , I bought the Lincoln 220 volt Sp-175 unit.  I was never happy with it, sold it.  Bought the Miller 210
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

QuoteHas anyone used or owned one of the clark welders?

Nope. But Clark tools has auctions here several times a year, and at every one, they have pallets of "reconditioned" welders, usually 50 to 150 of them. Not my idea of a quality tool.

Now I am not saying all their stuff is bad, but it's not the place I would shop for power tools. I bought a Clark 1/2" hammer drill, after returning it three times for defective chargers, I finally got one that works. I also have two Clark 6" bench grinders that have given many years of good service.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Beck

Miller 210, no doubt about it. There not cheap, but there quality.
I had a cheap Clark 110 volt. I made due for a while then had to replace it.

Topsterguy

Does anyone know anything about that new  Miller  "Millermatic 140 with autoset"? Pretty good writeup on it  that I saw, but it is 115V system. Apparently you "set the wire size, set the thickness, start welding" !  I tend to wonder about the 115 V thing.
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

donsrods

Quote from: "Beck"Miller 210, no doubt about it. There not cheap, but there quality.

I absolutely agree.  Our 210 has been flawless throughout thousands of welds.  Even since we have bought a tig, the 210 still gets the majority of the work done because it's faster.

We too started out with a Hobart 110 volt, and even with a bottle it was marginal and not good on frame thick material like a 220 unit.

Don

1FATGMC

Quote from: "donsrods"
Quote from: "Beck"Miller 210, no doubt about it. There not cheap, but there quality.

I absolutely agree.  Our 210 has been flawless throughout thousands of welds.  Even since we have bought a tig, the 210 still gets the majority of the work done because it's faster.

We too started out with a Hobart 110 volt, and even with a bottle it was marginal and not good on frame thick material like a 220 unit.

Don

That 210 looks like a nice welder.  If someone can't handle the price of it they might consider the 180.  

I have a Miller 172 that looks to now be the 180 spec wise and I've been very happy with it.  I've been able to weld a lot of 3/16 single pass with it, but I'm almost on the highest heat I can go to doing that even though it is rated to 5/16.  The 210 would probably be better in this situation.  Most car stuff is 1/8 though.  I like to make my brackets out of 3/16.

This is my second Miller, the first being a 110.  The 110 was great for body work, but never trusted it on frame stuff.  If you only get one make it a 220v.  Also you are going to have it a long time so even if you might spend $100 more getting a miller that doesn't equate to much over the lifetime of the welder.

Since you are buying something that will last a long time, personally I would only consider a Miller or Lincoln to make sure parts are going to be there for you down the road.  I'm not saying others don't weld as well, but if anyone is there 10 years from now those two brands should be.  I've wondered about Hobart since I hear Miller bought them up.  Sometimes one company will buy another to eliminate the competition.  I can't see Miller stopping Hobart manufacturing, but you never know.

c ya,

Sum

Crosley.In.AZ

I looked at the current  price of the 210.

it's gone up a bit since I bought mine.

:shock:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

zzford

My work has a Miller 210 and I was impressed enough with it that I bought one for home use. It has done everything that I've needed from it without fail. I was able to buy my locally for $1200 about two years ago.