Buick engine

Started by dv8, March 14, 2007, 07:27:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dv8

I was thinking about using a buick/GM V-6 engine for my project, (1950 Dodge )are there any years that are better or worse than others...and are there any drawbacks for using such an engine...I was thinking it may be easier than trying to shoehorn anything larger into the engine bay......the other engine was thinking about was the slant 6 but nothing is gained room wise with that
Thanks
chris

GPster

Had a '48 Dodge PU that needed a motor and I had a '67 327 SBC. I made the two of them go together but it took a front sump oil pan set-up from an early Chevy II to do it. I liked the set-up of the passenger side starter on the Chevy rather than the driver's side starter that I thought most Chrysler products had. Because the Chevy II stuff was kind of odd I always thought that a front sump, small block Ford would be less odd and still have the starter in a good place. Even though the Ford might be longer than a Chevy they were narrow and they had the distributor in the front and could be put tight against the firewall. The distributor would be at a place that could be reached when you opened the hood. These might be some things to think about. GPster

enjenjo

Years ago, I had a 48 Plymouth with a 331 Caddy in it, without any cutting, so there is more room than you think.

The 3.8 V6 has had  many forms over the years. Some things interchange, some don't. Up to 1985, they had a distributor, so you can run them without a computer if using a carb. I am told you can switch the front cover to use a distributor on later engines, but can't confirm it. The even fire engines are preferred, they came in about 1980. All the earlier engines were odd fire. The front drive engines have different motor mount bosses, and a different bell housing bolt pattern. The RWD share the bolt pattern with Buick, Olds, and Pontiac V8s, the Front drive motors share the bolt pattern with the Iron Duke 4, 2.8 V6, and some others, there were RWD transmissions for them, primarily in S10 trucks, and Camaros.

If you want to get exotic, the GN, and T type engines are turbocharged with SFI.

Does that help?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

donsrods

I don't know if you have considered it under the "GM" part of your question, but the 4.3 engines, as used in S10's and some others are awesome engines.  Essentially a 350 Chevy with two cylinders lobbed off.  Lots of dress up and speed stuff, like headers, intakes, cams, ignition, etc.

Don

sedanman

Why not keep it Chrysler and put 318,340, or 360 in it. With the right exhaust manifolds and oil pan it will fit right in.  :)  :)

Sedanman

GPster

Quote from: "donsrods"I don't know if you have considered it under the "GM" part of your question, but the 4.3 engines, as used in S10's and some others are awesome engines.  Essentially a 350 Chevy with two cylinders lobbed off.  Lots of dress up and speed stuff, like headers, intakes, cams, ignition, etc.Don
I agree somwhat with that statement but there are hidden pittfalls to their selection particularly for an engine swap situation. The V6 even-fire 4.3 engines started in '84 thru '85 and they would be closest to a carburated engine but not really. The carb is a computor controlled item and so is the HEI. Those early ones have provisions for a fuel pump but it certainly narrows down the selection of stock exhaust manifolds if you use it. There are headers available for the engine but they seem to be limited to the body/frame configuration that had the engines in them stock. If width is your concern they would be no narrower than a V8. I'm not against those engines as I'm putting one in a '48 Willys Jeepster. I'd take pictures but I haven't got the headers built yet. GPster

dv8

Quote from: "sedanman"Why not keep it Chrysler and put 318,340, or 360 in it. With the right exhaust manifolds and oil pan it will fit right in.  :)  :)

Sedanman
I like the idea of all Chrysler but I was thinking about the economy of driving it and I think the Mopar engines get rather poor mileage...BUT on the other hand there seem to be alot of 318s around and I understand that a 318 exaust manifold will curve nicely around the humungus steering box on the inside of the frme

GPster

Quote from: "dv8"I like the idea of all Chrysler but I was thinking about the economy of driving it and I think the Mopar engines get rather poor mileage...BUT on the other hand there seem to be alot of 318s around and I understand that a 318 exaust manifold will curve nicely around the humungus steering box on the inside of the frme
I believe the exhaust manifold you're talking about would be found in a Dodge Dart with a V8. You can get oil pans for them with the sumps most anywhere as they used those engines in 2 wheel and 4 wheel drive trucks and most any body style car. If you found an engine out of an old Police car it would probably have a forged crank. You can also change the front cam cover and water pump to get the water inlet on either side. Years ago there was an article in Hot Rod magazine about building a cheap 318 and they described it as the closest example to "square" (bore-to-stroke) motor and for gas mileage it is probably more efficient than the 340 or 360. I ran one for 5 years in an un-fendered Model "A" coupe and liked it. But like I said to me the front distributor and starter location comes to mind first. GPster

enjenjo

Mopar also offered a nice V6 in Dakota pickups. It was a 318 with two cylinders cut off.

sedanman

A Mopar friend of mine is putting a 318 in 48 Dodge. He claims that the 318 is as dependable and fuel efficient as any small block Chevy or Ford.

He is using a truck oil pan, it looks a lot like a chevy oil pan and it clears your steering componants. He is using the exhaust manifolds from the "B" body cars, I think. The driver side will curve right around your steering shaft.  I just like the Idea of keeping them as close to all one brand when it comes to body, motor and drive train. Although, I can go for anything if its done right and lools good. Just my opinion, and you know what they say....... :lol:  :idea:

Sedanman

dv8

Thanks for all the tips and hints, I appreciate your responses, I am at the parts gathering stage and I have yet to strip it down to get started but at least I have a better idea as to the directions that are possible......on a side note, I was thinking about the bulky steering box issue being mounted on the inside of the frame and was wonding if a Cavalier or mustang Rack  n P would be an option so as to clean things up
Thanks again for everyone's time
CP

sedanman

I have a correction.....The manifolds need to come from an "A" body car.
I have read and seen where guys have used a cavalier rack with their stock front suspension. If you do that then the A body manifolds would not be needed. I think a company called "plydo" makes the kit for the cavalier rack. They also make kits to switch to disc brakes on the front. There's alot you can do with that old plymouth and they really look cool in my opinion.... :D

Sedanman

enjenjo

I have a problem with this, only because the manufacturers did not keep them pure to begin with.

Now on this hypthetical Mopar we can use a 4.4 inline six built by AMC with a Tremec 4 speed, as used in Jeeps, which is a Ford design. We can fuel inject it, with injection designed by Bosch, and built by GM/Delphi, as used in most Mopars.We'll steer it with power steering from a Dodge truck, made by GM/Saginaw, and cool it with a Jeep radiator made by GM/Harrison.The steering column can come from a 70s Chrysler, tilt of course, made by GM, and the rear end can be an 8 3/4 Mopar, made by Eaton.

It's not just mopar, you can do this with any make. GM used Ford manual transmissions in the 60s, and Mopar manual trans in the 80's. Ford used Saginaw steering since the 60s, and still do today. Every one used Dana drive axles.

My point being that the OE manufacturers didn't keep reinventing the wheel, why should we? Are you aware that the coveted three window 32 Ford body was not built by Ford? This has been going on for 100 years, more so now, than in the past, but constant just the same.

No reflection on anyone here, just my opinion.

GPster

Or you could look at it in an entirely different way. Chrysler Prod. used that flathead six til '59 in their car line. I don't know how long they used it in their industrial line but there are probably boats and iragation pumps out there that have them in them. Now,  you where to go to an industrial junk yard and look under the cowl of a bigger fork trunk. You might find an six there that has spent it's life running on propane. Now that would be a gas saving conversion. I know of a guy that used to work for the railroad and he bought one out of their junk pile and he put a carb on it and it ran for years. That would be a way of keeping it brand perfect. A lot of us have given up striving for perfection. Don't forget figuring on a rear end swap. When you loose the transmission you'll loose the emergency brake. GPster