Fenders

Started by 35WINDOW, February 28, 2007, 06:56:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

35WINDOW

I lurk here a lot and don't Post much, but I saw a Thread where you were asking for more Posts, so here goes.

I am going to be ready for the Fenders, Running Boards, Trunk for my Project ('35 5 Window Coupe-duh!) in a few Months (gotta finish the Top Chop and Fill)and have looked at the choices that are available out there-J.B. Donaldson (which uses '37 lights), Fairlane, Wescott's and maybe more.

The question is that there seems to be a perception that Wescott's is the best-I was going to buy them, however they are sometimes twice the Price of the other Manufacturers-does anyone here have any experience with Fairlane, Wescott's or both?

enjenjo

I have a 35 in the shop right now with Fairlane fenders and boards. Seem to  be well made. Had to make a slight adjustment to the right front fender where it bolts to the running board, but that just may be this car. The glass is nearly 1/4" thick. Running boards plenty strong enough to sit on.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

phat46

Quote from: "enjenjo"I have a 35 in the shop right now with Fairlane fenders and boards. Seem to  be well made. Had to make a slight adjustment to the right front fender where it bolts to the running board, but that just may be this car. The glass is nearly 1/4" thick. Running boards plenty strong enough to sit on.

...and if Frank can sit on 'em, well, they're PLENTY strong!!!! :lol:

When I can't find steel....I use Wescotts.They are extremely well made and fit as original.Too bad you are not doing a 37....I have a full set of Wescott fenders in the shop.They came with the car I'm currently building but I am using a set of steel fenders that I had stashed.No experience with the other companies but I looked at JB's 3-W body and was not impressed.Wescott fenders are definitely more money but often times one gets what he pays for.......Good luck and let us know which way you go and what you think after they arrive.
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

35WINDOW

You guys aren't making this any easier! Enjenjo, have you had experience with the Wescott Product? If you have, can you compare the two? 40, maybe I need to start a '37 Project! (boy, I can hear the Wife now-). I have looked for steel Fenders (and about won a nice front set on Ebay for three times the price of the Wescott's). I have some rears that need work, but really don't want to patch and repair-I want something nice and stable. I realize the debate about Steel vs. Fiberglass (in regard to "is it a real car or not"), and don't really care at this point, just want to make an educated decision.

I've been doing Metal work on the car for a long time (I'm getting tired of spending more time with my Welders than my Wife), so that's part of the reason for going Fiberglass (not a great reason, but it'll do :D ), along with the problems of finding good Sheetmetal (I don't want to start with a bunch of damaged stuff).

To me, this is a big decision that can have some far reaching consequences, so I want to do it right. I may have to belly up to the bar and buy the Wescott's, but for over $1000.00 difference (or more) I want to see if there is really that much more quality in the Wescott's.

enjenjo

as far as strength, I don't think Wescotts are any better. As far as fit and finish, as stated above, this set of Fairlanes needed some rework of the right front fender where it bolted to the running board, not a big deal, and less than most other brands. Wescotts in general have a better finish, about as close to ready to paint as you can get, The Fairlane fenders need more work to be ready for paint.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

35WINDOW

Enjenjo,

Thanks for the help-I guess I'll need to "chew" on this a few days, and really sit down and see how much difference there is in the $$$$$$$$.

Thanks everybody for your input! Next is trying to decide who makes the best Steering Column, the best Wiring brand, whose Gauges to use, etc., etc.

Steel or Glass.....Not an issue with me.I've used Wescott rear fenders on several projects and have also used the new design 37 fenders from Downs Mfg.....when hung and finished properly....hard to tell the difference.I am pretty cheap.....I'd use a set of glass fenders in an instant as opposed to paying 3 times the price for steel.When I get my current 37 Sedan project finished,I want to build some type of glass car....It will be my first!
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"