Trunk latch from caddy

Started by Kctom, February 27, 2007, 07:51:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kctom

Been really busy getting my 47 ford coupe ready to go to interrior shop the first of april. Seems I can't find time to get here lately.
Anyway what I need a little info on is the caddy trunk latch I want to install in the coupe. This is the elec. one that pulls the trunk closed and locks it. Does anyone have a wiring diagram on know what wire goes to what. well back to the shop ,breaks over. Thanks TOM

Bob Paulin

You might want to also check out the third generation Camaro rear hatch latches (82-92).

My wife's '87 had a pulldown setup that was all self-contained IIRC.....just a single hot wire to it.

B.P.
"Cheating only means you really care about winning" - Red Green

Kctom

Quote from: "Bob Paulin"You might want to also check out the third generation Camaro rear hatch latches (82-92).

My wife's '87 had a pulldown setup that was all self-contained IIRC.....just a single hot wire to it.

B.P.
thanks for the info. will go and check it out. The caddy one has several wires for the motor and a few for the latch.
TOM

39deluxe

When checking to see if the trip switch works use a screwdriver and not your finger. :P

We had a mechanic at a Chevy dealer I worked at that was repairing a customer's Caddy trunk latch. He stuck his finger in there to trip the switch. It grabbed his finger then lowered into the housing like it would to pull down the trunk lid. He was standing at the back of the car screaming until someone turned the key in the trunk to raise and open the catch and release his finger.  He didn't loose the finger but it was close. Took a lot of stitches and a couple of surgeries.

It was entertaining though.

model a vette

A couple of times I saw cars in the Caddy dealership with bent trunk lids from people overstuffing the trunk before allowing the electric pull down unit to force the lid closed.
Interviews of the owners usually had statements like: "I don't know what happened! I just closed the trunk and it bent!"
I see the same problem on airport limos. I think Ford must have reinforced the lids. Now the Lincoln town cars spring the hinges.
Ed

39deluxe

That's funny. Using your trunk for a trash compactor.