Four bar set up

Started by phat46, February 27, 2007, 07:03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phat46

O.K. just 'cuz Dave asked for more posts I'll ask this question that i have been thinking about lately. On a four bar rear suspension do the shocks need to be straight up and down if they're not coilovers? I have air springs on the rear of my 40 pick up that are vertical, but the shocks are on about a 20 degree angle. Will they cause binding? since the bars will want to move straight up and down. If it makes any differance the shocks lean towards the center of the truck.

UGLY OLDS

If you picture a typical four bar set-up with coil overs, ( TCI-etc), from the rear.. Take the springs off the coil overs & all you have left is shocks...They dont seem to bind..All the spring does is carry the weight....Correct? Many 60's-70's GM cars had a form of "four-bar" rear suspension & most of them had the shocks at an angle to help control sway...I'm sure somebody will have a better explanation.....An example.....
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

enjenjo

No, you can angle them any way you want, although some are more effective than others. Just make sure they don't bind at ride height. They will be some angle changes as the suspension moves, but that is taken up by the rubber bushings.

I usually angle them 15 to 20 degrees. One forward, and one back, is generally best, but sometimes that won't work. This also allows you to use a longer shock, in a short space. I usually measure the shock fully extended, and fully compressed, and mount it so it is 2/3 extended at rest.

Since it is at an angle, it makes the shock a bit less stiff that it would be mounted straight up
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.