Teflon I-Beam spindle bushings...

Started by Truk52, April 27, 2004, 07:03:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Truk52

Hi all,

I was just reading in the latest Street Rodder that Pete & Jakes and Hot Rods by Dean are offering teflon spindle bushings for '28-'48 Fords.

Is anybody carrying same to retrofit to '52 Chevy pickup front spindles???

With quotes like these: "Magoo has been running a set of teflon bushings in his favorite hot rod since 1970. Currently, the bushings show absolutely no signs of wear", I want some for my truck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Truk52

Dave

Quote from: "Truk52"Hi all,

I was just reading in the latest Street Rodder that Pete & Jakes and Hot Rods by Dean are offering teflon spindle bushings for '28-'48 Fords.

Is anybody carrying same to retrofit to '52 Chevy pickup front spindles???

With quotes like these: "Magoo has been running a set of teflon bushings in his favorite hot rod since 1970. Currently, the bushings show absolutely no signs of wear", I want some for my truck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Truk52

My dime here. No way would i try teflon bushings. I cant believe they even work? In order for them to work and not cold flow as plastic does id think they would have to have 0 clearence .any movement any where and they would be junk in a week or less. So my question is whats wrong with regular bushings and good old grease. Greased often in a rod they should last * near forever?
Dave :?:

enjenjo

I tend to agree with Dave, I would have to have one in my hand to check the type of construction before I would even consider it.

Pure Teflon would cold flow as dave suggests, the car sitting still would have this problem. There are ways of doing it, using a metal matrix, with the teflon captured as a bushing material, using a casing of some kind to hold the teflon in place, or using a plastic of some type for the same purposes.

I read the article too, and I believe they are calling it Teflon, when it is actually some other type of plastic.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Fat Cat

I am a very skeptical person. So when I see stuff liek this that just seems to be to good to be true I think about the major market auto builders. If these bushings are as good as the magazine claims it to be why do they not use it in new production. And I won't buy the argument that they doesn't because they want to make you have to replace the replaceable parts through the dealer. They also have to take the risk that it will fail while under warranty as well. So they would have to replace it on their own dime.

This is like the claims made by all the oil additive companies. If the product was as good as they claim GM and Ford would be putting it in the engine from the factory. They would do it because of the increase in fuel economy to meet CAFE standards.

Dave

Quote from: "Crosley"Is it Delron , Delrum  :?:  material that looks like teflon , but is much tougher??

Delrin will cold flow too with enuff load on it. Me thinks a front end has a lot of load????????????
Dave :?:

Oldtin

Ford used nylon, delrin, teflon, some kind of plastic as king pin bushings from the early 70s-the early 80's on their pick ups. I used to grab the torch to free up stiff spindles untill I melted the bushings in one!
I can't say if the plastic bushings held up any better than the bronze, but for the use that most rods see I would think that either style would last a long time.

Oldtin